just an annoyance.. why are 2x12 cabs so expensive?

Kramerguy

• Members

I don't like the amp forum, and this is my home :)

But seriously.. I can buy a cheap marshall 4x12 for $179, but any new 2x12 is $300+ and used ones are seriously rare in comparison.  Who isn't sick of lugging their 4x12 around?  I sure am!

What gives?

• Members

I think if you read your post you will realize that you answered your own question. It's the law of supply and demand, 4x12's aren't as practical as a 2x12 so they don't command a high price on the used market. 

• Members

Kramerguy wrote:

But seriously.. I can buy a cheap marshall 4x12 for $179, but any new 2x12 is $300+ and used ones are seriously rare in comparison.  Who isn't sick of lugging their 4x12 around?  I sure am!

What gives?

Probably not really a fair comparison--any 4x12 you get for $179 is going to be a useless piece-o-sh

• Members

What do you use for the Board settings then?  Do you flatten all of the eq settings?  Roll off all gain etc?  I am probably going to try the same route this Saturday night, but will not have much time to mess with the Board and don't want to be "fiddleing" too much with my sound out of respect for the other players who expect all of that stuff to already be handled.

• Members

stratotastic wrote:

Kramerguy wrote:

What gives?

Probably not really a fair comparison--any 4x12 you get for $179 is going to be a useless piece-o-sh

• Members

I think someone hit it. Companies don't make bottom quality 2x12's because the entry level cabinet consumer isn't clamoring for one.

The monitor post I believe is about the difficulty of hearing yourself with a 2x12 on the floor vs the slant half of a 4x12. Depending on your monitoring setup it can be a legit concern. You can also buy a stand for your 2x12 if you don't plan to keep the head on top of the cab.

Archived