2 shows 2 different experiences

Gonkboy

• Members

My band were playing two shows this weekend.  Friday and Saturday night. 

The Friday show was at a really small bar with 3 other bands.  One of the bands cancelled so the start of the show was delayed until 10pm.  We were playing with a band the drummer is friendly with.  They were okay but didn't seem that interested in actually putting on a show.  They just played their songs and stood there.  I thought there was a lack of passion.  We were up next and played well.  Our drummer was having some problems with the hi-hat stand moving but I filled in the gaps with some guitar playing and call and response.  I was really up for this show so I jumped around and gave it my all.  It was a good show.  The band following us put on a good show too, and were good guys.  It was their drummers last show with them so it was emotional for them. 

The Saturday show was at a bigger club.  We took our time with the soundcheck to make sure everything was okay but when we started playing I couldn't hear my guitar out of the stage monitors.  I asked the sound guy to turn it up but it wasn't enough.  I tried to shake that off and get into the zone but my thin e-string started going out of tune.  I thought it was after a solo i had done so tuned it back to e.  In the next song I could hear it slowly going out of tune again.  I played as much of the set as I could without hitting that string but we had to cut our set short (we are a three piece and i didn't have a spare guitar).  For the final song I got some people up on stage to dance so we ended with a bang, but the show overall was a disaster.  When I looked at the string later it was unravelling at the ball end and would never have stayed in tune.

I've learnt a couple of lessons this weekend which I hope i don't have to learn again. 

• Members

Our guitarist did the for the first time last night. At our previous gig he had to change out a string mid-set, and vowed to himself that he'd always bring the spare guitar to future shows. Last night was a quick change from Gibson to Hagstrom, and a recheck of the tuning, and we were back to the set list.

Whenever something like this happens, the other three of us conjure up a synth/bass/drums jam on the spot. I don't know why, but the audience really loves it when we do this.

Archived