Justin Timberlake- Pop Icon

Potts

• Members

Discuss...

I've always though his tunes were were solid and I think he's a great ambassador for pop music. After watching the VMA's I'm convinced he'll be remembered with some of the greats. The medley that he and his band performed was not only amazing, but it was complex as hell. Add the insane choreography, pitch-perfect live vocals and the fact that he had every celebrity eating out of his hands and you have a bonifide pop superstar.

I couldn't find a decent HD clip of the performance but it's here on this page..

Justin Timberlake MTV Performance.

• Members

I am a huge pop music fan - I mean I'm one of those wierdo's that actually likes most of what's been coming out (anyone heard that new Jonas Brothers tun?  It's surprisingly good).  That being said, I've never been a fan of his.  I mean, I know he's talented and he's written a bunch of stuff for other people that I like, but I find all his songs sound the same.  Specifically, I've always thought that he heard that song "Pony" and basically copied it over and over again.  YMMV

Plus in 10 years he has a whopping 4 albums (two of which were released this year) and a grand total of 3 #1 hits.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to say that I did that.  But it's far from "pop Icon" status.

I will say he does an amazing job of marketing himself as a pop icon though.

• Members

guido61 wrote:

I haven't watched the performance yet, but if musicians have a hard time telling whether it was lipsynced or not, it must have been some damned good lipsyncing, if nothing else...

Sometimes it's a little bit of both.  I remember watching the live portions of "Truth or Dare", and noticed that even back then they would switch from live to tracked vocals depending on what the dance choreography demanded.  Back then I imagine it was an automated process, but if you're playing to a click and have a good live performer, I *bet* that you could blend the two even better these days.

Also I imagine that the live vocals when singing were processed while his speaking voice afterwards was not.

Archived