NGD and MF - just relating my experience

Kramerguy

• Members

Hey guys-

I haven't been on much lately- work and life got a hold on me, but I have been busy with music as well.  

For my birthday last month, I decided to buy a new guitar, something without a trem or lock-nut, that I could use to rehearse and gig with, easy, lightweight, etc.. I almost bought the Epi SG G-400, I really like the recessed wing for good upper-fret access.  I gave myself a paltry budget though, 300-400.

So I went onto MF and shopped around- always been a big fan of Epiphone guitars, never played one I didn't like :)  I found the Wilshire Pro, which seemed like a great fit.. easy upper fret access, and the push-poll pots on the knobs to coil split the pickups.  Seemed like a great all-in-one any tone, any style.. I was stoked!

So I ordered it ($299) got a labor day coupon, but it didn't work online, so I called them, the girl I spoke with was super-nice and gave me a new coupon code that doubled it and knocked it down to like $240.. sweet :)

The guitar arrived.  What a piece of ****!  I posted in the guitar forums about it, just everything about it was inferior, it didn't stay in tune, sounded like a wet fart, you name it.  A $99 squier strat would have been better in every way.

I called them to initiate a return, they were more than willing to take it back, no worries.  I picked out a different guitar to exchange it for.  A schecter omen-6 with active electric pups.. a bit more (like $359 I think), but I was so disappointed with Epiphone that I just didn't even want one anymore.

So they said that they changed their policy- they will ship the new guitar immediately at no charge, and give me an RMA# and 30 days to ship back the other one.  They then put me on hold to check out their coupon status, since the one I used had expired.  They came back on the phone and said they applied a new coupon code and gave me some extra $$ off to make the costs the same, so it would be an even exchange.  really?  OMG.. wow.

So the guitar came in a couple of days, and let me tell you.. I'm now a schecter fan for life!   This guitar plays like most $1000 guitars I've ever played.  Incredible punch and tone, etc.. I could go on all day about it.  I had a hard time putting it down really.  I took it to band rehearsal, and after some expected tweaking on my rack (and also bought a new 2x12 cab) it sounded better than I ever have in a band before.

It's a good week :)

Musicians Friend:  You've come a long way... the best customer experience I could have imagined and far beyond my expectations.

• Members

I always had phenomenal luck with musician's friend for several years. There was a period where they moved their warehouse or something and I had a couple shakier experiences. Lately I've been buying more of my stuff used or in stores, but I'm happy to hear they found their groove again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I also recently ordered a 2x12 cab from zzsounds.com - they offered me 0% interest 6-payments option, so I took it, made the first installment immediately, and it arrived the next day.  

These online companies are really stepping up the game.. I actually feel a twinge of pain thinking about going in to GC or Sam Ash again, or even Georges music again.  It's really daunting trying to shop in those places.  I like to put my hands on something before I buy it, but it's just no longer worth the hassle and wait times to get to talk to someone who generally doesn't give a crap about your ambitions or needs.

Archived