You will be assimilated

thewthrman

• Members

Did you ever do a few sub gigs with a band and they just kind of assumed that you were now a member without really asking you?  I did a few sub bass gigs with this band that doesn't really play that often.  I see the members occasionally socially.  But then I get an email with a couple december gigs.

I am not a bass player primarily.  And, candidly speaking, the other guys in the band are not really that great.  I don't have a conflict with either of the dates, but I feel almost like I should decline out of spite.

What's weird is that this has happened to me before.  Clearly the common factor is me.  I wonder what I am doing wrong.

• Members

Nothing is wrong with either you or them.   They just need a bass player and---TAG, you're IT.

No reason to be spiteful---just tell them that you aren't interested in playing with them full time as you have other things going on that interest you more.  They'll look for somebody else if they have to.  But if they don't feel they have to, why would they bother?

• Members

What Dave said - nothing wrong with it - clearly the like playing with you and your company, so it's a compliment.

Just speak up, man. 95% of the issues you see on band message boards could be solved with Communications 101. Tell the band what you're okay with and set expectations.

In the meantime, take the gigs! :)

Archived