Rush medley?

FitchFY

• Members

So as 2014 approaches, I'm preparing to work with a new band and have to keep it kind of hush-hush for now due to some silly people stuff, BUT...

They do a Rush medley. The band is a party rock cover band, but have an honest to God medley with chunks of "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," and "Limelight" in it. The mix of the tunes actually goes pretty well, and it's their chance to flex some musical muscle amidst the normally tunes.

Anyone else ever throw some Rush in? I'm curious as to how it's gone over, where, and when.

• Members

FitchFY wrote:

So as 2014 approaches, I'm preparing to work with a new band and have to keep it kind of hush-hush for now due to some silly people stuff, BUT...

They do a Rush medley. The band is a party rock cover band, but have an honest to God medley with chunks of "Tom Sawyer," "Spirit of Radio," and "Limelight" in it. The mix of the tunes actually goes pretty well, and it's their chance to flex some musical muscle amidst the normally tunes.

Anyone else ever throw some Rush in? I'm curious as to how it's gone over, where, and when.

If we had to do a Rush medley those are the 3 I would do. I am sure you will hear this a few times during this thread but it depends on your crowd. In ostrich Hat we have never been asked to play any rush and in my previous band we got asked maybe 3x in 10 years. But with that said, some straight up rock bands in my area have one of those 3 in their set and it seems to work OK.

with us though it would feel out of place... (yeah that's possible even with our eclectic mix) Which is find by me cuz I didn't worship Rush in High school like many drummers my age did. So for me Neil isn't the easiest drummer to emulate. I don't know those songs like the back of my hand. 

• Members

I wish we would do some Rush. One of my all-time favorite bands. I used to do several Rush songs back in the early 80's. I've done all 3 of those songs but never in a medley. Back then Rush worked. Today, not so sure. Obviously depends on the crowd, the type of band you are, and the audience you play to. I think if you're a classic rock band and you play mostly bars with the 35-55 crowd, a well PERFORMED Rush song would probably go over. If the medley works for them, more power to them.

Archived