Another band meeting

nousername

• Members

This one went well! :smileylol:

We're taking a break from live shows for a bit. Our singer is still anxious when she gets on stage and wants to address it instead of simply downing a couple drinks prior to the first song. She has never drank to excess at a gig, but I'd rather she feel as close to 100% comfrotable as she can.

Anyway, we wanted to get together and talk about direction, song choice, all the normal stuff. No one wanted to go first, so I did.

My main thoughts were: 1) Drop the whole thing, and become a tribute band concentrating on the icons of British heavy metal. Sabbath, Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Motorhead, Maiden, Judas Priest, et al. Three sets of that, plus a fourth of our older stuff like Pixies, Silverchair, Airplane, Dio, etc. This wasn't received well, unfortunately. Still, one of my better ideas. Especially with a female singer who can belt.

2) If we continue to add only heavy groovers and up tempo tunes like Sabbath and MC5 and GFR, we're never going to play live. Venues simply won't hire us if the competition is offering what we don't. In our favor, over half of our set is already more danceable tunes. I suggested adding 2-3 more danceable songs for every Sabbath "Snowblind". This was well liked. Whew.

Here's our complete list, if you're interested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk5fq4offdv02bp/current.PNG

Thanks for letting me share. No one else I know cares about this stuff. Maybe you don't either... >_>

• Members

I applaud you and your band for playing a lot of outside songs. I'm guessing that you guys (and gal) sing and play them really well? I've always felt that you can sell almost any song as long as you have the talent to bring to it.

That's pretty much the key. It's also why a lot of bands do the 'low hanging fruit'/lowest common denominator songs. Because it's easy to pick songs everybody knows. Even if a band sucks really bad, a crowd will usually scream and dance anyway, because they recognize the song and love it. It's maddening to think about and it's easy to go on auto-pilot when you know the song will work no matter how you play it.

Like others do in this forum, I wish all bands would try to give their best onstage instead of going through the motions. Even if a band isn't as good as another band, if they at least give a crap about what they are doing, showing some passion, that's all I need when I see one. I'd rather see a band with limited skills butchering a classic song but with passion than a band with excellent, technical skills playing that same song to a tee, but they look bored, tired, worn out and could care less. Believe me, an audience will respond to your demeanor.

It's an interesting list and I hope it works for you guys. I know of the band The James Gang, but I don't know any of those four songs you have in a medley. I don't think you need to latch onto the Mustang Sally/Brown Eyed Girl/Sweet Home Alabama train if you don't want to. Carving out your own thing is what makes people want to see YOU as opposed to another band. But you have to do the songs well and be able to get your crowd excited in the process.

• Members

nousername wrote:

My main thoughts were: 1) Drop the whole thing, and become a tribute band concentrating on the icons of British heavy metal. Sabbath, Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Motorhead, Maiden, Judas Priest,

If done well this IMO would be a pretty sweet tribute show. But thats the thing... it has to be a "show" not jjst a cover band. I didnt quote the "4th set" because other than dio the rest didnt fit as well with what you were discribing. 

Archived