Cover Band Documentary (again)

jeff42

• Members

Ok I'm at it again. I'm working on the very early stages of a low/zero budget documentary on the life of a cover band musician.

Anyone that has been on this board for a few years may remember me talking about it a few years back.

Because of certain things I abandoned the idea for awhile but never completely. It's always been in the back of my head.. waiting... Festering.

After watching a similar short doc someone posted here a month or so ago I thought maybe its time to revisit it. I also though that one was way too negative and just a bunch of guys bitching. 

Right now I am looking for input on some angles I can take with it (story wise) Plus if anyone on the board wants to volunteer any interview footage of your band so the doc isn't just Pennsylvania based. (of course proper releases would have to be signed but we can get to that later)

One of the big hurdles in going forward with this has always been and still is the music rights issue... I have decided that I'll cross that bridge when I come to it- if I even have to:   I figure if the narrative is strong enough I would not have to rely on  music rights to cover tunes and just use production music when needed. I want to look at all aspects of the cover band thing and ALL sorts of cover band guys. Guys in party bands, dad bands, classic rock bands, tribute bands everything in between... Many things we have discussed here too. 

• Members

I think the big 500 pound gorilla in the room is that cover bands get paid off the top of the gross in the bar scene. The value of a cover band is how much more profit can they generate over just not having live entertainment to earn their keep. In many parts of the country cover charges wont fly... so that's where the rub comes in for cover bands. Costs of product are up ,, and margins get squeezed. Its getting pretty tough for full bands.

• Members

compare and contrast democratic bands vs band leader styles. You could even use my leaderless non-democratic band as an example of how not to do it. And I'd be more than willing to give an interview over Skype. (Though I started playing in Pennsylvania.)

• Members

As a former TV network staffer I will say this.  It sounds interesting...to the guys who frequent this forum but not to a larger audience.  Not saying you shouldn't go ahead and produce it, just saying you should go in knowing you have a very limited audience and produce something that speaks directly to them (us).

• Members

Really, you could do a lot with just the topics found on these pages. Analyze the different approaches we all take towards getting started, getting gigs, and getting better... take a look into the different personality types/viewponts that dominate this board... the bands (and musicians) that just keep pushing forward and the bands (and musicians) that had no choice but to hang it up... "shiitty" bands that seem to do well and "great" bands that can't seem to keep it together... there is sooooo much material to work with here.

• Members

That documentary is a pretty cool idea. I'm in several bands here but my Ozzy tribute band probably has the most interesting characters and performances. I'm always recording our gigs and rehersals, but never thought about having somebody designated to follow us around and record us from start to finish at a show? May be kinda cool. Or answer any kind of interview questions you may have?  Anyway, if you need a tribute band we could help.

• Members

Absolutely! I will be taking everyone up on their offers. It looks like its gaining some traction with teh local folks in my area and people are really excited about helping out...

and like the saying goes, when it rains... it pours!

I kind of fell into not one but two other TV productions within the last week, one is an indie wrestling organization- they needed some help getting their stuff together for TV and the other is a music show with a pretty unique premise- I'm helping with pre-production with that.

whew... Got a lot of stuff going on all of a sudden. 

Archived