Does and don't of stage presence in a rock band?

destroypower

• Members

Make sure everyone in th eband has a set list.

Arrange songs in blocks of about three songs that you can play with almost no pause in between.

Dress appropriatly for the genre of music you are playing, at least try to look like you are in a band.

Make sure everyone can nail that first song, if the first song goes well it will relieve a lot of tension.

Max

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Number one rule is if anyone screws up, laugh it off, as scowling and being annoyed about it on stage will lose the audience faster than anything else.

This is good advice because I see it all the time and it looks horrible. I'd go one farther and say don't even laugh if possible. Don't react at all. Most people will never even notice a mistake if you don't bring attention to it.

• Members

This is good advice because I see it all the time and it looks horrible. I'd go one farther and say don't even laugh if possible. Don't react at all. Most people will never even notice a mistake if you don't bring attention to it.

I hear ya.

If I'm gonna react at all, I'll throw my head back and laugh...

No one sees the laugh, they just think you're headbangin ;)

• Members

I hear ya.

If I'm gonna react at all, I'll throw my head back and laugh...

No one sees the laugh, they just think you're headbangin
;)

That's pretty much the approach I take. Also if you're smiling and laughing through the whole thing everyone just thinks you're having a great time and digs it more. :lol::thu:

• Members

two things that I always try to remember before I get on stage...

1. Act like you did/do when you were a kid jamming out infront of a mirror to your favorite rock songs.

2. Make all the guys wanna be you, and all the girls wanna do you.

and as far as mistakes either give a quick laugh in that players direction or just don't acknowledge it at all.

• Members

two things that I always try to remember before I get on stage...

1. Act like you did/do when you were a kid jamming out infront of a mirror to your favorite rock songs.

2. Make all the guys wanna be you, and all the girls wanna do you.

and as far as mistakes either give a quick laugh in that players direction or just don't acknowledge it at all.

This may be some of the soundest, and well put advice yet.

• Members

From personal experience, I would say to just ignore everyone there that isn't in your band until it's suddenly time to not ignore them.

Ok, that sentence didn't make much sense...what I mean is that while you're actually playing/singing the song, you don't really have to acknowledge the audience at all. I just set up my mic stand so that when I'm singing my face is pointed towards the audience. Then, when I go up to it to sing, all I have to do is keep my eyes open and it looks like I'm making eye contact even when I'm not really looking at anything. Don't worry about directly acknowledging the audience until you're really expected to (like set/tuning breaks and stuff...see that post about "stage banter" that was in here a few weeks ago).

I've had a problem with "stage fright" or whatever you want to call it ever since I started playing music professionally (11 years now). The thing that will probably get you is if you start paying too much attention to who is watching you. You stand there playing guitar and look out, and you make eye contact with some chick in a green shirt. Now you're not thinking about the music, you're thinking "oh crap, green shirt girl is watching me". You gotta forget about all that stuff.

Really, you're trying to be like a woman in a shoe store having a 50% off sale: completely undistractible. Or better yet, just be how you are when you're watching a football game and your wife/gf/whatever starts asking you to take out the trash during a 3rd and long in the red zone during the 4th quarter.

And finally, not to be negative or anything but if this is your first show chances are the only people who are even going to be paying real attention to you are your friends you invited to the gig in the first place. So what if you {censored} up? They've all heard you do it thousands of times at home and will probably buy you a beer for your trouble.

Hope my random insomnia-induced prose ramblings help, and good luck! :thu:

• Members

Oh, almost forgot...NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, APOLOGIZE. I see bands do this all the time and there's no faster way to lose an audience. I've seen 'em do it because they made a mistake, or because the PA cut out for a second, or whatever. It doesn't matter. You're always 100% right.

Some other minor things in the realm of "don'ts". DO NOT:

Order drinks through your mic. The staff hates this, and more than anything you want them to like you so you're invited back.

Be overly aggressive/hostile (unless you're in a punk/metal band...then it's totally acceptable to tell your audience to {censored} off).

Look like you're trying to put on a stage show. It's the only thing worse than not having a stage show in the first place.

Play "Freebird" when the audience requests "Freebird". That's just letting the bastards win.

• Members

Drop one hit of acid (mushrooms will not substitute) about 2 hours before the show and pretend you are in a cover band doing covers of your band.

Ignore the bass player screaming at you to play it like the guitarist in your band played it before you sold out.

• Members

Oh, almost forgot...NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, APOLOGIZE. I see bands do this all the time and there's no faster way to lose an audience. I've seen 'em do it because they made a mistake, or because the PA cut out for a second, or whatever. It doesn't matter. You're always 100% right.

My god yes, I have seen bands where the singer will walk up to the mike at the beginning and say "Uh... yeah well we've only been together a week and practiced once" etc. Why the hell would you do that? Way to make the audience think they've got their money's worth.

• Members

From personal experience, I would say to just ignore everyone there that isn't in your band until it's suddenly time to not ignore them.

...what I mean is that while you're actually playing/singing the song, you don't really have to acknowledge the audience at all.

Don't worry about directly acknowledging the audience until you're really expected to (like set/tuning breaks and stuff...see that post about "stage banter" that was in here a few weeks ago).

With all due respect, I could not disagree more. IMHO, this is what separates the good bands from the great ones... the ability to connect with their crowd - make them feel like they are a part of the party.

Guest Anonymous

1.) Do not do rehearsed moves with other band mates, or with yourself. That is the worse decision and came and went very quickly in the 80s. Only pop singers do this, but they do not have instruments and have dancers present.

2.) Try to throw an ice breaker out to the audience before you play. If you're worried about being nervous the whole show, try to throw the ice breaker out and introduce the band at seperate times. Maybe throw the ice breaker, say something like "We are..." and maybe "Are you guys ready to rock?" (Well that may be a bit cheesy, but be creative.) Then the next song introduce the band. Some bands introduce each member after a song, but if your playlist is short, refrain from this, because by the time you're finished with your 4th song you're done with the set. Always throw in "How are you guys doing tonight?" or in between songs maybe "Is everybody having fun tonight?"

Note: These are all generic lines, please be creative and do not quote those exact ones.

3.) Do as said above. Do not stare at your guitar. Stare at the wall slightly above the audiences head. Glance occassionally at the guitar to make sure you do not mess up a chord change, or start a solo on the wrong fret. If you're trained enough to not look at it all, this helps.

4.) Do not get distracted. If you see a woman giving you a blow job symbol, someone pointing you out and possibly talking about how good/bad you are or even if someone in the band messes up, keep going. Never stop a song in the middle, if you mess up, keep on rolling. Distractions can really throw you off if you're not used to them or unprepared.

5.) Do not argue with the band on stage for the sake of humanity.

Guest Anonymous

Another good way to introduce the band is in oppurtunistic situations. Like when a guitarist goes into his favorite solo, say "Joe blow on the guitar everybody." Maybe at the end of the song at the final drum roll, throw in the drummer. Of course this doesn't have to be done on every song, but I find it more appealing than simply introducing everyone outright.

• Moderators

Stage presence 101. A lot of good advice here but it's a lot of stuff to think about. So don't think about it. Here's what you do as a 1st timer.

Today, put on your guitar, get a mic stand, and set it up in front of a full length mirror. Take a look at yourself. Sing. Play some rhythm, a lead. Look at yourself. Are you goofy? Do you look cool? Whatever.

Find the position that looks and feels natural. They don't always come together that's why you need the mirror at first. See how geeky or cool you are and fix it if need be.

Now when you go onstage, assume the position and get through the gig. Repeat and add the other suggestions as you go. Keep it simple at first.

• Members

Today, put on your guitar, get a mic stand, and set it up in front of a full length mirror. Take a look at yourself. Sing. Play some rhythm, a lead. Look at yourself. Are you goofy? Do you look cool?

:thu:

A couple of weekends ago, Diane comes in the bathroom and says "Why are you in here, playing your bass in front of the mirror" :lol:

(I was working on my technique and stage presence)

• Members
4.) Do not get distracted. If you see a woman giving you a blow job symbol' date='

I will stop the song right there. We're a three-piece and it's pretty easy for one of us to yell "Hey guys, follow me", and I'll just trainwreck the song right there and grab my vocal mic and have some fun. Most of the time those kind of things get the crowd's attention and sound really good, because they know there's no way something like that can be planned and it's always interesting to see how a band handles a lively crowd.

I will admit there have been a couple times where I've attempted to kill the song and the rest of the band must not have heard me, so it just sounded like I {censored}ed up royally.

• Members

be well rehersed ,,,, start with a song thats a no brainer ,,, enjoy yourself. After you have the first song under your belt you will be fine. Just get up and do it. Dont worry too much about your stage show ,,, just play the music right and tight. The rest will take care of itself. Thats my best advice for a first time out. rat

Amen to what Rat said. If you have a good sound, people will give you a pass on stage presence. You know who had no stage presence? The Allman Bros. No one cared because they sounded so good. You'll be surprised how much your stage presence will shine through naturally when you see the people getting into your music. On the subject of food, different strokes for different folks. I don't eat much at all before I go on stage. Maybe a small salad or a small burger and water. I stay focused better that way. Big meals are a sleeping pill for me, just figure out what works best for you.

• Members

1. I like the eat lightly comment - I need something on my stomach, but would rather be a little lean and a little hungry

2.I'll second the statement about getting the mental side of things right - positive affirmations said out loud to yourself everyday the week before the gig about "I love playing in my band, I am a great musician and entertainer, I am calm and centered and focused, I will be great tonight, I will have fun tonight, I will laugh at myself tonight, the crowd will have a blast tonight", etc. - I tell myself these things so I will go on stage in a peaceful yet intense state

3. also, the belief that this is MY stage, I own it, hold on for the ride folks

4. definitely pick an easy song to start with and get the jitters out of the way

5. I even listen to jazz quietly at home a few hours before if I can (let me recommend Joe Sample - Carmel by the Sea) and this is for a classic rock gig

6. be ready to laugh at anything that doesn't go right

7.Finally, rehearse alot and you'll be fine (but rehearse facing out like you have an audience)

• Members

Practice for perfection, so when the stage is "not right", it's "hot chick" night, the monitor sound is "not right", the crowd "is not right".......whatever you can perform the song and listen/see each other for any mistakes. and don't use old strings...they will go. spray your pedals coming in from the cold into hot and dry, electronics will work "not right" So it happens..don't blame and get into a bad "tude".

I might be in the audience and request "FreeBird!"

• Members

Man, this is a great thread with some great advice.

I usually hang out in GJ and AJ and the Political Party, but I wonder if I might sort of ask a question that veers off from the original question a little bit.

I've been gigging for over 20 years of my life, all kinds of music...started out in punk bands, but I won't go into that kind of detail...

Anyways, I never really suffered stage fright when I was playing in a band, even when I was fronting one.

However, I have tried my hand at a couple of solo gigs and it was a damned train wreck of a nightmare.

Does anyone have any advice pertaining to solo performing in particular?

I'd prefer to play with another person or a group, but in my situation right now it's hard for me to find people to play with who want to play the kinds of things I want to play, I'm new to the area, have little time for band practice, etc.

So I'd like to try solo performing again, but it makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit just to think about it. When playing alone, every mistake seems amplified, I play everything at breakneck speed, I get terribly nervous knowing I'm the sole center of attention, etc.

Anyone got any thoughts, tips or advice?

Thanks.

• Members

Another good way to introduce the band is in oppurtunistic situations. Like when a guitarist goes into his favorite solo, say "Joe blow on the guitar everybody." Maybe at the end of the song at the final drum roll, throw in the drummer. Of course this doesn't have to be done on every song, but I find it more appealing than simply introducing everyone outright.

Yeah, what we usually do is introduce someone after playing a song where they have a particularly kickass solo. The drummer gets introduced after Wipeout, and I usually get introduced after Johnny B. Goode or Folsom Prison Blues. Still haven't found a song to introduce the bass player with though. :freak:

Archived