Does and don't of stage presence in a rock band?

destroypower

• Members

I'm going to start gigging with my band in the next couple months. This is the first time I've played live (I'm singing and playing guitar). I'm sure I'm going to be pretty nervous at first, but it would be cool to get some pointers on how to relax and have fun, and how to have some decent stage presence... things to do and not do.

thanks

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't look at your feet. My bands first gig almost all of us did this except the drummer. I tried not to, but I'm guilty as well.

Depending on the type of music, try to move around. Get the crowd excited about your music, if you can.

• Members

I'm going to start gigging with my band in the next couple months. This is the first time I've played live (I'm singing and playing guitar). I'm sure I'm going to be pretty nervous at first, but it would be cool to get some pointers on how to relax and have fun, and how to have some decent stage presence... things to do and not do.

thanks

be well rehersed ,,,, start with a song thats a no brainer ,,, enjoy yourself. After you have the first song under your belt you will be fine. Just get up and do it. Dont worry too much about your stage show ,,, just play the music right and tight. The rest will take care of itself. Thats my best advice for a first time out. rat

• Members

Drop one hit of acid (mushrooms will not substitute) about 2 hours before the show and pretend you are in a cover band doing covers of your band. Works like a charm.

Don't eat greasy or fast food before the show. Don't ask.

You know I hear a lot of guys say not to eat greasy food or fast food before a show. Eating something healthy definitely helps, but I always thought those rules were more applicable when on tour.

• Members

thanks

Remember, the audience wants to see you do well. You're offering them something that they've paid for. Hence, they have faith that you can somewhat entertain them. Play off this to build confidence live.

• Members

You know I hear a lot of guys say not to eat greasy food or fast food before a show. Eating something healthy definitely helps, but I always thought those rules were more applicable when on tour.

For me, there's always a butterfly element before getting on stage, and the last thing I need in the back of my mind is knowing I'm about to have to take a dump in a disgusting {censored}hole bathroom. Butterflies and general nervousa or anxiety just don't sit well with Taco Stand or Wendy's. Especially with a couple of beers and cigarettes. It also depends on your digestive system. Some people have Iron Guts, they can eat a bucket of crawfish heads and get on stage. Not me. Not most people.

I'll add to that... coffee is very bad.... jitters are bad. Coffee increases jitters. Same with jagerbombs. Sloppy jitters.

• Members

For me, there's always a butterfly element before getting on stage, and the last thing I need in the back of my mind is knowing I'm about to have to take a dump in a disgusting {censored}hole bathroom. Butterflies and general nervousa or anxiety just don't sit well with Taco Stand or Wendy's. Especially with a couple of beers and cigarettes. It also depends on your digestive system. Some people have Iron Guts, they can eat a bucket of crawfish heads and get on stage. Not me. Not most people.

I'll add to that... coffee is very bad.... jitters are bad. Coffee increases jitters. Same with jagerbombs. Sloppy jitters.

Now that I think about it, you're right. I've eaten {censored}ty before some shows and by the end of the set I'm pushing my body to get through. On tour, I almost think it's imperative that you eat healthy and exercise. I couldn't imagine eating Mcdonalds and Taco Bell every day for like a 3 month tour.

• Members

look up, alot. introduce the band with much enthusiasm. don't be afraid of seeming too excited because hopfuly it will rub off on the crowd. smile lots, and make sure that the good looking guy in the band is talking to girls between sets. or at least smiling and wincing at them from the stage.

and from personal experience, if you invite your girlfriend make sure she is coming. i recently spent the first 40 mins of a gig looking from my feet up to the door and back and she never showed. i honestly felt like just giving on the gig, so i just stared at my feet the whole night trying not to let it show that i felt like total {censored}.

good luck man, it's not that bad at all.

• Members

Basically, don't get drunk or stoned before the show...make sure you feel good and are comfortable with your songs and what everyone in the band is supposed to do. From there, it's just natural! Enjoy yourself, and more importantly, LOOK like you're enjoying yourself.

Don't worry about particular moves...if they're contrived, it'll *look* contrived and people will think you're a phony. Just don't look bored...looking at your shoes is boring. Looking at the guitar all night is boring.

• Members

I agree with one of the early post about being well rehearsed, It sounds like a no brainer, but it is easy to slip into the trap of adding something last minute. If you do that save it for the later in the set when you have put out a few tight good songs. Always start with a something you are totally comfortable with. It will be easier not to make mistakes. You are lucky that you play guitar. I do too but once I fronted a band with that already had two killer guitar players. I did not know what to do with my hands. I hated not having anything to do with my hands, I would play air guitar which looks silly. The other thing that could get you through is think about how many people have done this before, many of them not as good as you. I don't really get stage fright, but if something flusters me in the first song, It takes me about 4 songs to recover. So come out of the gates sprinting with a song you feel very confident with. Sorry I am rambling. Good Luck

• Members

Problem: Most rock guitar/bass players look at the fretboard. From audience perspective, this appears to be looking at your feet.

With players who were never trained to look elsewhere, this is a tough habit to break. With players who are reliant on tab, and/or those who don't really listen and therefore NEED to look at the fretboard to hit the right notes, it's absolutely uncorrectable.

Don't look at your feet. My bands first gig almost all of us did this except the drummer. I tried not to, but I'm guilty as well.

Depending on the type of music, try to move around. Get the crowd excited about your music, if you can.

• Members

Problem: Most rock guitar/bass players look at the fretboard. From audience perspective, this appears to be
looking at your feet

With players who were never
trained
to look elsewhere, this is a tough habit to break. With players who are reliant on tab, and/or those who don't really listen and therefore NEED to look at the fretboard to hit the right notes, it's absolutely uncorrectable.

I agree that this is a problem - I've dealt with it myself...

I think the trick is to learn to establish your fretboard position by way of occasional glances at the neck.

When singing and playing, if I feel lost, or am anticipating a tricky position shift, I've found that standing slightly askew from the mic works - this way, I'm looking a little over my shoulder to face the audience, and my eyes only have to shift downward a little to check my hand position.

In a perfect world, no one would ever have to check their hand position. In the real world, when playing songs requiring complex/fast position shifts, occasional visual "checking" is necessary IMO.

• Members

Number one rule is if anyone screws up, laugh it off, as scowling and being annoyed about it on stage will lose the audience faster than anything else. Don't take yourselves too seriously and just have fun. If a mistake happens, no-one died, at worst one of you looked like a chump, and you can all laugh about it. If the band appears to be having fun, the audience is much more likely to get the vibe and enjoy it to.

Good luck.

• Members

Eat healthy for sure but even more important is to eat light. You don't want to start the show with a full gut making you want to take a nap.

• Members

Eat healthy for sure but even more important is to eat light. You don't want to start the show with a full gut making you want to take a nap.

+ a Gazillion - Particularly for a rock band where you'll likely be getting into it.

I have a rule - don't eat anything after 5pm on the day of the show. I'm not saying starve yourself, go ahead and have a decent meal... just do it before 5. I'd much rather go onstage a little hungry than feeling like an unmotivated tub of goo.

• Members

Don't stare at your feet.

Unless you play in a shoegazer band... than look at your feet, and GAZE!

But yeah, look at the crowd, smile and jump around a bit. Look at the people in front row, or at the people who are into it. Move around. Rehearse some stage moves, Pete Townshend windmills and stuff, but make it look natural, like you mean to do that because you're into it. If you play guitar, don't wear it too high, look cool and relaxd.

And most of all:

KICK ASS OR STAY HOME.

• Members

as someone who makes sales presentations to big-money and sometimes large audiences, i have a couple of things I do to get locked in to the audience.

first, i sneak a few peeks into the audience to see who's out there. i select someone "or a couple of someones" to concentrate on looking at when I am speaking. for example, 3 good looking girls slightly off of center stage is a good spot.

then, about 2 minutes before i go on, i take a dump. while sitting in the thinking position, i meditate in the aroma of success. i concentrate on what i am there fore and have a 10 second rehearsal of how it starts.

this is what works for me. all the food advice, not getting stoned or drunk - that is GOLD. i like to have a mental rehearsal ... most sports psychologists work on this one aspect for high-level athletes to have them breakthrough.

most of all ... HAVE FUN. and good luck. :):wave:

• Members

All good advice here. To reiterate:

1. don't eat heavy beforehand

2. Do not be drunk or stoned

3. Have fun up there. The audience takes their energy cues from you. If you have a good, solid, high energy coming off the stage, its contagious. People are pack animals. Lead them.

4. SMILE!!!!!!

5. Don't sweat little things. In fact, don't pay attention. If miss a note here and there most people wont notice. If you get flustered, everyone will notice.

6. Its more important to kick ass then it is to be note perfect. Nobody is judging your sweep arpeggios except frustrated guitar players that aren't in bands.

7. Face forward.

Archived