Is Rockabilly a successful genre these days?

New Trail

• Members

I'm a HUGE fan of Rockabilily crossed over to punk... if it's done right. Done right includes the songs, the look and the twang. Does it go over? Yup... the $300 per trio bars alongside blues trios and rock trios. Anything more than that for regular bookings? Not likely, unless you're at a 'tribute' level.

• Members

tlbonehead wrote:

Do bands seriously play full gigs for $300 nowadays??

Heck, the venue 1/2 mile from me pays $250 I think - another a mile away about the same or the door. There's good reason why most of my sound gigs are an hour away (which gets me to less poor places like the Long Island coast, Hartford, Providence, Metrowest Boston, Springfield).

Two of our better localish venues just closed up, a really classy place called the Acoustic Brew Pub (just a couple years old) and an infamous original music club called the El'N'Gee (had been around for many years). RIP frown.gif.

But that all means fewer places to play so pay keeps being driven down. Heck, I'm hearing that there are quite a few venues not paying a premium for their NYE bands this year facepalm.gif.

• Members

Sure looks that way. The Belmont Playboys are legendary in our area, as well as a bunch of others. Great straight ahead rock that is its own genre and attracts a specific crowd. Lead singer has tons of tats, smokes, and is a mechanic. However, I think their bass player is an accountant, so looks can be deceiving. Annual Cash Bash - Johnny Cash - features a lot of these bands, as well as motorcycle shows. Definitely a well defined niche but with some crossover appeal.

Archived