Someone Leaving......

Outkaster

• Members

Well someone quit on me and I knew that eventually would, but it was a matter of when. I had another keyboard player that was committed to his own project but hired him to see how it would go. He has a wedding band, I know it is a cash cow with him but I think he was trying to straddle two bands. I hired him because a lot of members thought it would be a good idea last year against my judgement. 

He was a basically a sub and had missed some gigs over the summer which played hell with the rest of the band a couple of times. He offered to stay on but like any other job I would rather people cut clean and not drag out the practice of replacement. It makes it that much harder. It

• Members

Every band I've been associated with has been an "all in" band . . . . Fully committed, few if any side projects.  That all changed with the last group.  I left it last summer after a year because the few gigs we had were pickup gigs with different lineups and set lists.  

Sometimes other bands are more interesting or more lucrative for the hired gun who accepts your gig.  Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that it's very difficult, maybe impossible for me at my age and requirements, to find one band that's going to be all things to all members.  

• Members

SeniorBlues wrote:

I've come to the conclusion that it's very difficult, maybe impossible for me at my age and requirements, to find one band that's going to be all things to all members.  

This is definitely the "new reality" for many musicians these days.   Guys with family responsibilities and day gigs that earn real money ultimately make conscious decisions about how much time and energy they can devote to music.  It's no certainly no secret that it's tough to find a band's worth of folks who's individual allotment of "music time and energy" align perfectly such that one band can be all things to all band members.  

The challenge today seems to be finding a way to manage and thrive in this "new reality".  

Archived