"interesting" gig request.

Vito Corleone

• Members

This guy calls us up asking us to play for a party for the launch of his new company in July.  One catch:  he wants to get up and sing a few songs with the band.   OK, no big deal.

Except:  he wants us to learn a few songs especially for him to get up and sing....

OK...how many?   "Well, I'll probably want to do 4-5 songs, and a couple of them will be off your set list".

OK...send us over a list and we'll check it out.

The list comes over.   It's now up to 7 songs, only one of which is off our setlist, and the other 6 are all modern pop tunes that will take a bit more effort than just bangin' out the standards.   Plus he wants us to come to a house of his an hour away from where we are at some point to rehearse with him.  

Well, no contracts have been signed yet, and the pay he's offering for the gig is very good.   We'll probably be able to negotiate the request back down to "you sing 5 songs, at least 2 of which are off the setlist and, if you want to rehearse with us ahead of time, you come to our place".    If we can't?  Well, we'll all make a group decision then about how much effort we want to put into doing this gig.

But still...just thought it was a bit of an odd one I'd share with you all.   Hopefully the guy can sing halfway decently.   But if not, I'm sure all his new-company employees will applaud and pat him on the back regardless.    It takes all kinds, I suppose....

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

IMO 7 songs is a bit much...

if he's good it will be pretty cool for the party (still to many though)

if he sucks 7 songs will be AWFUL. 

If he sucks - it will be AWFUL for the band.   However, my bet is that if he delivers anything better than a total "eat sh!t and howl at the moon" performance - it will knock the party into overdrive.   Party-goers love when one of their own get up and perform with the band.   That will especially be the case if it's a guy like this guy sounds like (translate:  a party host with $$$).

The only thing that would put a little more icing on that cake would be if "he" was a hot "she".  

• Members

flemtone wrote:

We did that one time - learned a bunch of songs for a guy who wanted to sing with the band.  Fortunately, they were all Rascals songs and the guy was Eddie Brigati...

...he was pretty darned good, too!

Nice!

We were all set a couple of years ago to learn Lady Gaga's "The Edge of Glory" for a wedding at which Clarence Clemons was to be in attendance (Clarence's wife was one of the bridesmaids) and the bride wanted us to have him come up and play with us.  He didn't know about it but she said he always brought his sax with him everywhere.   We figured we'd dust off Pink Cadillac as well just in case. 

Sadly, he passed away a few weeks before the event so that jam session never came to be.   Instead we did Pink Cadillac as a tribute to him and just had everyone in the crowd sing the "Duh...duh!" sax part.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yikes!

I found that post again because I was digging for your wedding checklist. My gig on Saturday garnered some interest. Any chance you have a copy floating around? We've never played weddings before (some members have with other outfits), but are interested in the type where the bridge/groom want, basically, our bar show for dancing. So now I'm trying to figure out how to quote. I was surprised to see that an experienced wedding DJ in my area only costs $450 nowadays.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Had this happen to me once too... the president of a company that hired us for their Christmas Party wanted to do American Pie with us... so the band learned it and we were ready to go. He got up and it was a total wreck, guy had never sung with a band before. He had fun being a "rock star" for the night and definitely milked it though.

Fortunately, we got paid a lot, he loved it, and his company cheered him on. We got invited back to do their next party too. LOL!

Archived