Where Do You Play?

Sgt. Rock

• Members

Seriously? I do a boat load of 50's and 60's songs. Actually, to me, the 50's songs are the most fun to play. I ought to look into playing some senior centers - I live in Florida, for pete's sake! There are probably 80 places I could play within 20 miles of my house. I think I'd need to add some more 50's songs but that's doable.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I'm going to look into it.

My mother is in a senior's home. They get all kinds of entertainment including an Elvis impersonator. As mentioned, times are changing.

• Members

I used to get privates from restaurant and club gigs, but after agents started calling me, I realized it was better for me to work with them. They can get more money, they collect the money(which can be a major pain in the butt), and act as a buffer between the client and me. They will ask for stuff I might have a hard time coming out and asking for, like food. I've booked myself in many a restaurant, and the most I ever got as a solo was 150.00
I've been paid $500.00 dozens of times for the same gig at a private or corporate. And on top of that, the agent is putting on his cut. They have people who will pay 700. or more for a solo to play a private. 700.00 is the most I ever booked a solo gig for, and that was a wedding out of town. Once.

Agents book solos for that same amount every day. If I would go to 250.00 I could play those gigs almost every week. But then, the question is, will the agent ever give me the 5 bills? I'd rather play once in a while for the five than more often for less money. To put things in perspective, I'm in one of the most expensive areas of the country, and rates are higher here. At $250.00, a three hour call can take 6-7 hours with travel set up , tear, down, etc. That's not that great a deal at that point. I refer those gigs to full time guys that I know. No doubt, if I was doing this for a living, I'd have to take all the 150. gigs I could get, much less 250.
As I mentioned, that just leads to more 150.00 gigs.

I primarily get private party offers from gigs at restaurants, festivals, institutionals and busking.

And sometimes recommendations from previousw patrons.

Archived