Set Length, Pay, Other Logistical Questions

HarpNinjaMike

• Members

I'm moving to BC.

This is what works for me. I am usually playing tunes in a non dance format. On a four hour gig, I will often go 50 to 60 minutes for the first set. then take a 20 or 25 minute break. That's when I circulate, talk to staff (check on volume, promotions, staff birthdays...) , talk to the regulars, chat up new faces, hand out cards, merch...and get a more in depth feel for the room.

Then I'll do three more sets 40 to 45 minutes with breaks in the 20 to 25 minute region. With that format, the the last set often winds up being shorter.

Even if it's a dance I follow the same format, but with shorter breaks.

Most of my restaurant and lounge gigs are through an agent and they usually pay net $200.00. sometimes a two day run will pay less, like $350.00 ($175.00 a night).

As a solo, for private or corporate I charge minimum $300.00 to walk out the door, but I like to see $400.00 - which is about what the lowest level DJ would get.

I would guess about 20 to 25% of my gigs are solo, because I do bands and PA work. But a while back I was doing about 80% solo, and speaking of songlists, that really pushed me to expand mine.

• Members

I'm moving to BC.

Ha, ha.

Of course, that's the circuit I'm on, I can't speak to the others. Most of the guys doing the circuit I do have all been around for a while. They're all pretty good, and spend as much on their clothes as they do on their gear! A few of them have Juno awards (Canadian Grammy) and such. So when you look at the years we've put in, the experience, and the quality, it actually doesn't add up to much.

Buy hey, I'll take it - a gigs a gig.

Archived