Vocal Harmonizers...

daddymack

• Moderators

so I see many here like the Digitechs and others like the T.C. Helicon ...any love for the E-H Voice Box? I was also looking at the Boss VE-20 which isn't any less expensive, but apparently doesn't work with a guitar/keyboard...:rolleyes:

so are there other decent Vocal Harmonizer alternatives out there for a solo performer?

and if not, which is hte easiest to use, best perfomance tool, most realistic sounding, etc?

• Members

I have three Digitechs and one TC Helicon. I'm now looking at the Voicelive Touch. The Helicons have better effects, the harmony qualities are about equal. The signals have to be boosted for these things, I have preamps for the guitar but need a preamp for the voice, or so it seems in my set up.

• Moderators

One thing I am curious about is how 'feedback/background' noise sensitive are these units? Because the last thing I would want is something like the drum machine being picked up by the vocal mic, going into the harmonizer and generaring noise...I'm sure a lot of this depends on the mic, and volumes, but I tend to obsess over these crazy possibilities...I tend to be fairly 'low tech' about music electronics, but as I stare at the probability of going solo in order to make $, these newfangled things begin to make some sense to me from the user standpoint...but I know zilch about their operating parameters.

So, Sgt., would you use a 'mic pre' before the vocalizer, or on the output? In other words, can it handle the hotter signal, or is the preamp post-efx?

• Members

On my Digitech Vocalist Live 3, the onboard preamp circuitry has a pretty effective noise gate in the signal chain. It's not at all noticeable over the PA speakers, but it is obvious when listening to a recorded vocal track. That's probably how they keep offending "riff-raff" frequencies out of the harmony-generating circuitry.

• Members

I've never noticed any bleed problems, but with the digitech (or any of those "intelligent" units) you have to be careful which songs to use them on.

Some harmonies aren't sung on a straight third, and people are used to hearing them as recorded.

The bandleader in my previous band was so used to depending on his, he even continued to use it even after I joined, and was singing all the harmonies. I'd sing them as they were recorded, and his harmonizer would sing them according to what notes he was singing on the melody, and sometimes, they would clash really badly. One song that come quickly to mind is The Joker.

• Members

Crustee - keep in mind that most of the newest generation of harmonizers are SMART harmonizers - meaning they pick up the chords from your guitar and determine what key you're in and assign harmonies based on that, so what you described isn't as much of a concern as it used to be with the older harmony machines.

I know that the TC Helicon and Digitech VL models are this way - not sure about the other ones.

I have a Digitech VL4 and it's good. Sounds pretty natural, has a good-sounding mic preamp built in, and a good amount of tweakability. Plus it'll follow your chords to determine the harmonies (which works GREAT, I might add). I keep thinking I would have rather gotten a TC unit, because their effects sound a little better, but I'm happy with my VL4 after three years with the beast. It does the job admirably for me.

Brian V.

• Members

I did tons of reasearch and decided to go with the TC Voicelive2... I couldn't be happier

^^^^Ditto^^^^

Also, VL2 was the only one I found that had midi inputs as well, as I use the keyboard instead of guitar to trigger the harmonies.

• Members

I've been meaning to check this whole idea out. I don't have the cash for a unit right now, but I'd like to try one and see how well it does or doesn't work for me. There are a lot of songs that I won't do because they rely too heavily on vocal harmonies on the chorus. It's nice to hear that they've evolved and that some folks here really like theirs.

• Members

Been using the TC Helicon for about 2 years now. I'm not a solo or duo, but sing backups in my band. My points:

1) Built like a tank

2) Easy to program

3) All the features are usable(you're not paying for a bunch of bells and whistles you'll never use)

4) Sound quality to fantastic

• Members

I think much of the success with such a device relies on the user understanding a bit about harmonies and their ability to be consistent in their parts.

That's very true. You need to understand the harmony structure you're trying to emulate, and set the unit accordingly. You also need to understand when to turn it on, but more importantly, when to turn it off. Just like any other effect, ocer-use can sound cheesy.

I've used a VL-2 for a couple of years now. It's a workhorse unit, but I'm probably going to move on to a TC H-1 soon. There's nothing wrong with the VL, other than it's large format. The small size of the H-1 is attractive to me. It's not quite as feature-rich as the Digi, but I'm perfectly happy without the bells and whistles.

• Members

I own both a DT vocalist 4 and just recently a tc voicelive 2, both are good units, but the tc helicon is a step up IMO. Like some of you mention, the trick is to know when to turn it off and not over-use it. Its a great tool, but you have to know what settings work with each song, taking the stage without knowing exactly wich harmony you will use is a disaster waiting to happen.

• Members

I did sound for a duo called the Dave Henderson group out of N.CA. Dave used (I believe) the Digitech unit. As the sound guy, I was really worried about him introducing reverb out of my control. The unit sounded great and I had no sound issues at all. Of course, good monitors and EQ helps but FX through monitors is not my favorite thing.

• Members

Another vote for the TC electronic Harmony G. I have been using mine for a couple of years now and it has been a great piece of equipment. As long as you use it sparingly, it is great. I have heard some people go overboard with it and I will say.... that is not good.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Sold my Digitech vocalist 4. Could never get it to sound compelling .. always a bit over the top and unnatural. Sure was fun though. I have a Boss VE20 now and putting it through its paces. Don't know where I'll land. Just looking for a decent reverb, a little compression, EQ, and simple harmonies in an uncomplicated format.

• Members

I have the old Digitech Vocalist Performer and the Digitech VL2. I use the VP when I'm doing my solo act with the Yamaha keyboard, since the VL2 seems to have trouble figuring out the chord with all the bass, drums, and chords going into it from the keyboard. When I play guitar, either solo acoustic or electric with my oldies/classic rock trio, I use the VL2 and am really happy with it.

I, too, have been looking into the Voicetone H1 because of it's small size and ease of use. The only problem I have with the VL2 and the H1 is that in order to change the harmony parameters, you have to bend down and switch manually. I know that some of the upgraded Digitech units have footswitching capabilities to change to preset harmony settings, but they're a bit too pricey for me.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have a VL 1

It's currently being repaired after sitting in a box for a year.

I also have the discontinued Harmony Control guitar.

When it worked it was awesome and here's what I did.

I would compress the lead vocals and not the harmonies.

That way I could hype the background vocals a bit to give that volume difference.

I use the autotune function on harmonies but not on lead and I can slightly delay the background vocals and not the lead.

These subtle differences help.

It has four voices but I've never used more than 2 and mostly use just one.

Since the harmony control came out, I use it as a table top unit with the HC sitting on the floor.

It's easy enough to change the presets with the roto wheel.

I think I'll add a volume pedal when it comes back to also give more volume flexibility to background volumes.

These things are so much fun it's really hard not to overuse them and that's probably their biggest fault.

Human error. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a Digitech Vocalist Live Pro and am very satisfied with it. I agree that you have to use the right harmony for the song. I use a lyric book that is coded for the settings on my equipment and the harmony that I will use on that song. I also color code the lyric so that I know when to turn on/off the vocalist.

• Members

Sold my Digitech vocalist 4. Could never get it to sound compelling .. always a bit over the top and unnatural. Sure was fun though. I have a Boss VE20 now and putting it through its paces. Don't know where I'll land. Just looking for a decent reverb, a little compression, EQ, and simple harmonies in an uncomplicated format.

How does the compressor work on your VE 20? Where do you set yours, and why? I don't undertand mine very well...

Archived