Percussive Elements, how do you do it (if at all)?

Dingoist

• Members

Playing last night got me thinking, I normally keep a tambourine on the floor, with one foot on it so I can hit it with my heel, and tucked in my other shoe, a shaker.

Sounds wierd? It's so as I tap my feet while playing guitar, I can bring in some percussion. After a bit of practice, it has come along quite well.

I saw one Aussie performer use a plank, raised off ground by about 2 inches on each end, stomp on it while playing to get a deep "thump" noise while he performed, I thought that was pretty cool too, but haven't tried that.

What do other folks tend to do for help fill in some percussion spots while playing?

• Members

I put a microphone on the floor facing me, and then place a thin board with one end on the floor and the other that leans up on the microphone. I tap on the board with my foot and get a nice percussive thump through my PA. I use a Shure PG48 that I got for $20 so that I do not worry about killing it. I only use this contraption on a few songs at a given gig.

• Members

I bring my bongo player!

Also, I've been looking into one of the Farmer Foot Drum pedals that you can interchange with tambo and shakers. I've seen the tambourine thing done very well by some local people. Again, it works well if it's one of those things that isn't used on every song. Then again, I've seen a duo make great use of one of the Porchboard Stompboxes and used it on nearly every song.

• Members

1. Find a wood board that you like the sound of when you stomp your foot on it.

2. Then take the piezo element from the Radio Shack buzzer and mount it to it or buy one online. Solder up a jack and ta-da! now you got a back beat.

Need it to be unplugged? Disregard step number two.

I like how you think. I started thinking about this more when I noticed that the guy from Mumford & Sons uses a kick drum and a tamborine (with a kick pedal). The farmers kit mentioned above looks pricey, but I think I've a new DIY project for the winter after I clean some of the kid's crap from the garage and get access to my tools again.

• Members

the guy from Mumford & Sons uses a kick drum and a tamborine (with a kick pedal). The farmers kit mentioned above looks pricey, but I think I've a new DIY project for the winter after I clean some of the kid's crap from the garage and get access to my tools again.

Several drum accessory companies make a bracket to attach a tambourine to a regular kick drum pedal. I saw this guy last year, he did something similar with multiple drums. His act was amazing for about 20 minutes, but then everything started sounding the same, because it was all in the same open tuning.

[video=youtube;kQtBqxJ1NQY]

• Members

Howie beat me to the Farmer foot drum. I don't have one. Yet.

I was actually just talking about the DownBeat pedal from Farmer's. The basic pedal is only $85, and they have a number of attachments. The other one is just too much.

[video=youtube;qt8tdELiRRE]

• Members

Much better breakdown of the farmer foot drum.

I'm drool'n (and no, that's not my normal state).

The problem with stuff like this and other new gadgetry imo is it comes off too much like you got money. When busking on the street there's a fine line between totally looking like a vagrant and looking like you well off. You should target the point closer to the vagrant if you're looking to get an audience and some money. On stage at a coffee house the same goes imo. You'll get more of a sympathy vote and people tend to listen. I'd just go with a board. Or some "jimmy rigged stuff".

This guys keeps it real.

[video=youtube;fdnlosOm6yI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdnlosOm6yI&feature=player_embedded#!

[video=youtube;G64xtktywUM]

[video=youtube;m-SMJJ_qU6s]

• Members

The Kochel Guitars Stompbox is only $35...the Thunderstomps run $100 and higher. I want an Ellis one because that is what Harry Manx uses, but they are over $200. Might try the Kochel because of the price, but Thunderstomp seems to be the norm. Ugh! I'd order today, but don't know what to get!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use a Suitcase Kick Drum I put together, on some gigs. It sounds good, and catches alot of eyes. It took me a month to find just the right suitcase. American Tourister/Tama kick pedal.

I also use the suitcase to carry the kick pedal and my guitar stands.

Archived