Least favourite thing about gigging

sologrrl

• Members
<...>
Oh, and then there's the schmoozing; I'd rather read a book.

One cure for that is to play continuous music -- no breaks -- and it helps you get more gigs too!

We generally don't take breaks, not because we hate schmoozing, but because we really enjoy making music. That's why we do it. If we were doing it to make money, we would be doing something that pays better.

Tear down for our duo gig, since we are both multi-instrumentalists includes:
2 guitars
2 wind synthesizers
1 tactile MIDI controller (synth)
1 sax
1 flute
2 15" speaker cabs
4 synth sound modules
1 percussion controller
3 laptop computers
2 small monitors
3 pedals (one for synth, one each for the two guitars)
1 12 channel mixer and BBE maximizer in a 12 space rack
1 Power amp in a 4 space rack
2 microphones and more cables than I care to count
plus; stands for the mics, computers, synths, guitars, sax, etc.

But like I said, it isn't so bad, it just is. There are wheels for the heavy things and a little lifting to get them in the mini-van is less than having a gym membership and paying to lift heavy things ;)

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

Seeing familliar faces at gigs and having NO idea what names go with them. It's embarrassing.

"Hi Rupert!"
"Hey.... nice to see you!"
:mad:

We have a sizable group of regulars who show up for our gigs (at least a few of 'em). I've met them all but I swear, I can't remember the names of half of them. I am a social person but to some extent I'm guilty of getting tunnel-vision at gigs.

In my personal & work life I don't seem to have as much trouble with this. I'm really trying to be better. It bugs the crap outta me.

• Members

Wow, I didn't expect tear down to be such a big one in the solo forum. It literally takes me about 15 minutes to tear down and get out of a place if I'm really hankering to get a move on. I only have one speaker, a mic stand, music stand and speaker stand. I leave most of my cables coiled with just enough slack for what I need and my "peripherals" (aka, small fan, tambourine, reading light) take two minutes to toss in my gig bag.

I guess the other things I hate is how long it can take to get paid sometimes. I know that bar staff want to get out just as a badly as I do some nights but I shouldn't have to stand around for 45 minutes while you wipe the bar, wash glasses and clean up. I can see my money in the envelope beside the register most times. They just have to pass it over lol.

Schmoozing is a hit or miss for me. Sometimes all I want to do is relax and sit quietly with a smoke and my e-reader before a gig and sometimes I can't help but go and mingle with my favourite regulars and staff. It all depends on my mood really.

Yep - for me tearing down is not an issue on a solo gig, but I do hate chasing the money. I don't have to do it much any more but I that's my least favourite part. I usually try and ask about the money early on, but sometimes it just doesn't happen on time.

Long ago, I worked at an after hours bar from 2:00 am until 5:00 am. The owner/manager was usually gone by that time and so I would usually have to get paid on the following Monday. He had a large office in an old funky building and I would have to drive all the way down there to get paid. I'd knock on his door (it was always locked), and after a couple of seconds or minutes, a flunky would come out and say "oh the boss just left" and tell me to come back later in the day, or the next day.

This crap went on for a few weeks until I noticed that his very large office suite had two doors, one at the front and one at the back. The next Monday I went to get paid, and knocked on his door as per usual. But then I ran down the hall and waited at the back door. Sure enough, he comes waltzing out the back, sees me and breaks out in a big grin. He just says, "oh you caught me" and promptly paid me on the spot. He was so impressed by the fact that I had figured him out, he always paid me on time after that!

Crazy business this is.

• Members
This is what I was going to post. Had to deal with that at our last gig. I was ready to get the cash, something I usually do right away after I shut the PA system down and people are still yelling, "One more song....one more song..." I do this because if I don't, it seems like it takes even longer to get paid. If I ever ran a bar, the first thing I would do is pay the band so they can GTFO sooner. Plenty of time to stack chairs and wash tables!

Anyway, I was waiting to get paid and the bar manager pretty much ignored me. So, I went back to tearing the equipment down. While I'm in the middle of it, she basically makes a big deal about who she should pay. Um, didn't you just see me 20 minutes ago? Oh, I get it. It wasn't TIME for me to show up yet.
:rolleyes:

Sometimes, I hate doing this {censored}...
:facepalm:

Man, I'm sure I've worked that exact bar - well at least a clone of that bar.

Loiter around the bar, trying to get paid, get ignored and give up for a while. Go back to tearing down equipment and then out of the blue "hey musician guy... do you want to get paid or not - I don't have all night"!

I've said it before - it's the same all over.

• Members

Man, I'm sure I've worked that exact bar - well at least a clone of that bar.

The funniest part is it was our second time there. I'm sure it was some sort of power thing. Either that or just plain ignorance. Hard to say. It's a long story, but there was a bit of an incident the first time we played there. I attributed her attitude partially to that situation.

I've said it before - it's the same all over.

It sure is, man. It sure is...

• Members

I hate it when patrons start making requests that are clearly now within the sphere of what I'm playing. I mostly do singer/songwriter/folky/alt country stuff. Think John Prine, James McMurtry, John Hiatt, Shawn Mullins, Bob Dylan, with a few classics thrown in like Simon and Garfunkel tunes, some old Stones, etc. It's not that I hate requests, I hate it when they ask for something I don't do, and then want to know why I don't, and can't I just try to play that song? I once had a lady request "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. Aside from the fact that I don't play piano, I also don't play any Billy Joel. She didn't want to let it go. After 5 minutes of convincing her I couldn't do it, she then asked me to play "Boot Scoot Boogie.":facepalm:

• Members

I hate it when patrons start making requests that are clearly now within the sphere of what I'm playing. I mostly do singer/songwriter/folky/alt country stuff. Think John Prine, James McMurtry, John Hiatt, Shawn Mullins, Bob Dylan, with a few classics thrown in like Simon and Garfunkel tunes, some old Stones, etc. It's not that I hate requests, I hate it when they ask for something I don't do, and then want to know why I don't, and can't I just try to play that song? I once had a lady request "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. Aside from the fact that I don't play piano, I also don't play any Billy Joel. She didn't want to let it go. After 5 minutes of convincing her I couldn't do it, she then asked me to play "Boot Scoot Boogie.":facepalm:

There are just some people who are destined to remain clueless idiots for their entire lives. I just tell myself that it's really not their fault, they can't help it, and that attempting to use reason and logic with them is an exercise in futility.

• Members

I get this, but differently. It annoys the hell out of me when I'm playing an upbeat set with stuff like Pat Benetar, Journey, Janis, Melissa, GnR, Kings Of Leon etc and I get someone coming up to request something that is SO not in with the tempo. Like, I had someone a few weeks ago during my "power hour" (last set, where I play all my hard/fast tunes) ask me to play "Knocking On Heavens Door". And when I said I couldn't (I can, I just didn't want to) she asked me for "Landslide"and I'm like WTF. I'm playing happy music. People are dancing. I'm not slowing this {censored} down for that.

• Members

I hate it when patrons start making requests that are clearly now within the sphere of what I'm playing.

What I could never figure out about some of the people who request songs are:

It's not my least favorite thing, but I can't figure out why they do that.

Here's another thing that always amazes me. I play for an adult audience, which means slow songs get them on the dance floor, and if followed immediately with a moderate song I can keep many of them on the dance floor. 5 seconds of delay means they are going back to their seats and nothing will bring them back.

Often in private parties, someone wants to come up and make announcements on the PA. You know the kind, thank the entertainment committee, the people who decorated the hall, etc.

99% of the time, when do they want to use the mic? Right after a slow song fills the dance floor. Of course, that destroys the momentum I am building up. But they don't understand what I'm doing any more than I understand why more often than not, people want to make an announcement after a slow song.

And how about the people who request a song, sit at their table and talk to their neighbors for the entire song, and never even thank you? (Much less put a fin in the tip jar)

But these are just quirks. I don't let them bother me. And they are only minor bumps in an otherwise very pleasurable road. Challenges to overcome, but really, no big thing. More a source of amusement after the gig than the inconvenience they cause during the gig.

All in all, despite their few quirks, I really love my audience. They are my partners and add to my joyous evening.

• Members

I play 3-4 nights a week.

So many things in this thread mentioned that I feel the same way about.

I don't like to talk to people when I'm on break. And I don't remember their names.

I hate when I'm tearing down and want to GTFO and people are trying to talk to me and standing in my way.

I hate loading in!! Setup actually doesn't bother me as much as loading in.

In some ways I enjoy loading out cause it means it won't be much longer before I'm headed home.

But the thing I hate most of all..... is getting off work at 5..... getting home at 5:30..... and then loading equipment out to my vehicle at 6...... then leaving at 6:30 for the gig... then not getting home until midnight or 1:00am.

• Members
I have to ask, how does RJ fit into your act?
:eek:

Hehe, glad I read this before I went to bed. Made me chuckle. Thanks, daddymack. :)

And the answer: apparently, being overweight and having thin, long, wavy dark hair invites such comparisons, especially when I am sweaty from singing and playing with passion. Not sure why guys (and it's almost always GUYS) go out of their way to inform me of my resemblance to these people (the only resemblance being I am overweight and have dark hair).

Guess I better lose weight or stop performing in public like the troll that I am, huh? :p

• Members
I've thought about this and I want to change my answer....

The least favorite thing to me is finding new gigs. I hate calling club owners, managers and other entertainment purchasers.

The problem is, that when knocking on their doors, 99% of the time you are perceived as nothing but a pesky interruption of the day's business and you have no chance of getting anywhere.

And unfortunately, there aren't any booking agents that can keep me working around here.

Fortunately word of mouth works and 99% of our business is either repeat business or word of mouth.

Unfortunately I'd get a lot more work if I knocked on enough doors. But I'd rather write a new style for Band-in-a-Box or do anything else short of getting a root canal ;)

• Members
I've thought about this and I want to change my answer....

The least favorite thing to me is finding new gigs. I hate calling club owners, managers and other entertainment purchasers.

The problem is, that when knocking on their doors, 99% of the time you are perceived as nothing but a pesky interruption of the day's business and you have no chance of getting anywhere.

And unfortunately, there aren't any booking agents that can keep me working around here.

Fortunately word of mouth works and 99% of our business is either repeat business or word of mouth.

Unfortunately I'd get a lot more work if I knocked on enough doors. But I'd rather write a new style for Band-in-a-Box or do anything else short of getting a root canal
;)

Now that you bring this up, I'm tempted to say that in the end this is a greater source of displeasure for me than anything else, too! I've been thinking a lot about it lately, since a place where for the last two years I've been able to rely on a regular monthly gig has just closed down. I'm in the process of trying to get up the energy to start looking for another venue that might fill this gap.

Hate it.

Louis

• Members

I'm an accountant but I get gigs playing beach weddings throughout the summer. My least favorite thing is sand. And wind. Or wind and sand. Or maybe sand and wind. Sand gets on everything and the wind makes it worse. When the wind finally stops it gets so hot I start sweating like crazy. That and carrying my gear through the sand. At least I've got it down to two trips, but I'd like to get one of those battery powered amps like the Carvin Stagemate. That would save me some hassle. Right now I carry a Crate 60 watt acoustic amp and a battery pack, one in each hand. The good thing about playing all these weddings is that my arms have gotten a lot longer.

I can't really complain, I'm usually in and out in an hour, and that usually includes drive time.

So, let me rephrase that--I really like playing beach weddings except for a few very slight annoyances.

• Members

re:Wireless...Yes it exiats...but why cant I just pick up my guitar,like I pick up the cell phone,push a button,and play?...I dont have to velcro a transmitter to my belt ,when talking on the phone.Just wonderin'

Yea, we need guitar towers just like they have cellular towers; then guitarists everywhere would be free from the scourge of wires....

but seriously it is a hastle to use wireless guitar sometimes. That's why I don't do it anymore. It can be a very handy device though. Coupled with a wireless headset mic you could wander around, soundcheck, order drinks from the bar, go to the can - no scratch that. Anyway, they're getting easier but not yet easy enough for lazy old me at present.

• Members

For me it is soundchecking. It's the time when the soundman likes to assert some "dominance" over you (for me it is jibes about being "cack-handed", because I drum left-handed) and you have to set everything up in a couple of minutes, only to tear it down again after two songs. Then you do the exact same thing again a couple of hours later when it's showtime, except you have the additional joys of the previous drummer taking forever to get offstage, the lights being down (so you can't see a thing) and music blaring out of the PA so loud that you can't converse with the soundman or other members of the band. I'm knackered before we've even started!

• Members

As a solo performer I'm pretty much always the sound guy, and I get along with myself very well! Actually, I carry on a dialog with myself and sometimes it's not very nice. Like, "You forgot to plug the guitar in, idiot!" So I guess I can be hard on myself.

Getting back on topic, I have to change my vote to getting gigs, because that is the hardest part for me. I hate hate hate HATE sales. HATE it.

Archived