Best little sub on the market....

charlie13

• Members

Hey guys,

Just wanted to stop in and see what you guys thought about adding a single/double sub to you current setup to add more low end. I, like Richard, use backing tracks and there are times when a sub(s) would really help out as far as my dance oriented material is concerned. My current solo setup includes (2) Peavey PR15's powered by a Behringer EP1500 with a Yamaha MG10 mixer. I run both the PR15's off one side of the amp and can use the other side to push a sub. I have been looking hard at the EV SB122 sub. It's 400 watts RMS, 12" woofer, lightweight, and small enough to pack in the car. Have you guys ever used this cabinet? Would like to get some feedback on the SB122 before I bite the bullet and get one, possibly two.

Charlie

• Members

I had a pair of those with EV sx300's. I think you could find a better sub personally. I had a small yorkville powered sub-nx200--one of those was better than the two sb122's. Its 55 pounds, and powered. Thats what i would get if i was going to add a sub again.I have used probabaly 8 different subs specifically for solo use so I feel like I am not biased. Terry also has tried out alot of subs and he can chime in too.

• Members

Currently using a pair modeled after a friend's pair...he got a pair of those bottom-firing Squier Single Reflex Band Pass Subwoofers and upgraded the wimpy original speakers w/ much better replacements (Eminence LAB 12 Generation II).

SQSUB.jpg

Basically, I just copied what his were, as exactly as I could, other than using 3/4" 5-ply, which makes them a bit heavier to lift (under 50#, I guess)....won't move quite as much air as a big sub, obviously, but are excellent for beefing up the bottom end of the bass and percussion in my acoustic trio...we both run them in line w/ our mains, so that each power amp "sees" 4ohms. Easy enough to haul around @ a little over 18" cubes.

No idea how well they'd work for charlie13's needs, but they won't give that "gangbanger thump".

• Members

I had a pair of those with EV sx300's. I think you could find a better sub personally. I had a small yorkville powered sub-nx200--one of those was better than the two sb122's. Its 55 pounds, and powered. Thats what i would get if i was going to add a sub again.I have used probabaly 8 different subs specifically for solo use so I feel like I am not biased. Terry also has tried out alot of subs and he can chime in too.

I owned a couple of Yorkville ES200P's (same sub different year as the NX200) and they were great for single duo or small band. They aren't super detailed or loud (compared to rock band subs) but the bottom is nice and round and they get the job done.

They are as said around fifty pounds, and pretty easy to carry. The other plus is that they will take a speaker level (or line level) signal so if your tops are 10" or smaller you can just go full range from your tops to the subs with a speaker cable - super easy set up.

Even if you have 12" tops you might not need an external crossover as the subs are crossed over fairly low.

When I did solo, duo or trio gigs I would just use one sub - it was plenty.

• Members

I own a pair of SB122's. Here's my take...

You could buy one and power it with the other channel on the amp you have, and it would be fine for small gigs. But if you really want to be able to fill very large rooms and sound fairly loud, you definitely would need two of them, and you'd need more amplification than one channel on your amp. There's no point in buying two unless you're going to throw more power at them.

Given enough power, a pair of SB122's ought to be able to create much more bass than a single powered NX200, which according to my quick Googling has an internal amp that puts out 200 watts. You can throw up to 800 watts (for real) at a pair of SB122's (400 watts each.) But it wouldn't surprise me to see the NX200 outperform a single SB122, because Yorkville makes awesome stuff.

For small to medium gigs, I'd just buy a single SB122. Cheaper than a Yorkville and also lighter, and you already have power available. If at some point in time you want to step up your game, you could buy another one and buy another amp. And I'd recommend something lighter. :)

• Members

Get yourself a single Yorkville LS720p, and you'll never look back. Not too heavy,,,, easily fits in the back seat of my car,,,, it's powered, with all necessary protection built-in,,, and it sounds tight and clean. Just a great little sub.

Yes, it's a bit heavier than those mentioned, but I'm 63, and my back is shot,,, and I easily handle these subs.

• Members

Get yourself a single Yorkville LS720p, and you'll never look back. Not too heavy,,,, easily fits in the back seat of my car,,,, it's powered, with all necessary protection built-in,,, and it sounds tight and clean. Just a great little sub.

Yes, it's a bit heavier than those mentioned, but I'm 63, and my back is shot,,, and I easily handle these subs.

That sub weighs 75 pounds. And costs a grand. Two of those subs could handle a full band. It's IMHO overkill for solo work. I'd LOVE to own a pair of those, though.

• Members

small subs to me cry out for a linkwitz transform; any fool can build a huge B&C or JL coffin sized vented sub. Check Elliott Sounds 2ft3 15" sub, flat to 15Hz!

That's really cool. When I was in college our band's sound guy built his own subs. But they were huge. I think it would be fun to be able to design and build speakers. Unlike making your own guitar (from scratch), you could probably save a lot of money I would think. I grew up near Rochester and they had a store in Henrietta called The Speaker Store and all it sold was parts and kits. My cousin still has a pair of those. Pretty cool.

I'm jealous of people who can make their own amps/guitars/speakers/etc. I know that if I really wanted to I could buy the books and the tools and learn and practice and all of that, but I don't have time for another hobby - I have two already (music and computer programming.) I'd like to golf, too, one day. I live in Florida and once you reach 55 the state requires you to play golf...

• Members

I owned a couple of Yorkville ES200P's (same sub different year as the NX200) and they were great for single duo or small band. They aren't super detailed or loud (compared to rock band subs) but the bottom is nice and round and they get the job done.

They are as said around fifty pounds, and pretty easy to carry. The other plus is that they will take a speaker level (or line level) signal so if your tops are 10" or smaller you can just go full range from your tops to the subs with a speaker cable - super easy set up.

Even if you have 12" tops you might not need an external crossover as the subs are crossed over fairly low.

When I did solo, duo or trio gigs I would just use one sub - it was plenty.

Oh wow, I have one of these and love it. My main speakers are JBL 12 inches with no bass practically. When I added this sub it really rounded things out and made it a decent sounding system. I use a crown amp with the JBL's. Yea, setup is easy on this little yorkville sub. I get the feeling it was made with quality also. Made in Canada? I don't recall.

• Members

Buna. Va rog sa-mi ziceti si mie ce fel de program pot folosii pentru a avea un site asemanator cu acesta? Sunt incepator si am in cap cam ce vreau sa fac dar nu am cunostintele care trebuiesc pentru a face un asemenea site.

Va rog sa mutati topicul unde trebuie daca nu am postat unde trebuie si imi cer scuze anticipat.

PS: Mentionez ca siteul nu va fi pe aceeasi tematica.

• Members

Seriously Richard I owned 2 of the EV's and the one little Yorkville outperformed it. Powered subs are def. the way to go, even with a passive system.

I know the specs say one thing but my ears are what matters.

Your basing your recommendation on owning those subs, but havent heard both. People tend to "love" their gear sometimes.

Archived