workin' the crowd

eyesore

• Members

The moral of the story is don't make midget jokes over the PA, ESPECIALLY if there is a midget in the crowd. (It seems so obvious right?)

At one of the first few solo gigs I ever played, I decided to play "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" toward the end of the night. I'll be damned, I got half way through the song and noticed what I believed to be a Hawaiian guy playing pool. My assumption was confirmed when I noticed that all his buddies were razzing him about it. He started yelling "I'm offended!" (he was joking). Still, a bit of an uncomfortable moment for me. I ended that one quickly and moved right on to the next song on the list!

• Members

Interesting comments about the eye contact, It's something I haven't been too sure about: as I'm playing mostly in small, intimate venues where it's very personal and, as someone said, if you're a guy it's easier to be "creepy" if you hold the gaze too long. I'll try the 2-3 second eye contact at my next gig and see what happens.

My problem is that I should be wearing glasses, but don't. So, when it looks like I am looking intently at people while I'm playing and singing, I'm really not looking at them at all (my eyes are trying to focus lol). Maybe I should get some glasses, then start doing the eye contact thing along with a friendly (but not creepy) smile. Might work wonders!

• Members

When you no someone is listening to you, make comments directly to them. If they engage it may be interesting for everyone. Current events, sports stuff, etc. I live in a tourist town so I can always ask where folks are from. Then discuss anything I know about that place. It makes folks light up if you can name a town in there State. or a landmark. "Oh you are from Ohio, I must say to hell with LeBron James." or "You are from West "by God" Virginia, You will like this song... then break into Take Me Home, Country Road." I don't know these work for me.

Archived