coversongs Lyrics,chords, backing tracks Files?

Walters9515

• Members

dunnio

but i agree it would be a fantastic tool....

if i had a piece of software that allowed me to call up the track and lyrics and chords it would re-expand my set back into the '000s of songs!!!

i find i forget about tunes i used to do, then when i remember them its been so long since playing that i cant chance it cos i ownt remember the chords and lyrics properly.

anyway i guess the answer is it hasnt been developed yet because overall as a market there are'nt that many of us really!

• Members

I use an iPad app called forScore for sheet music/tabs/lyrics. If you can get your piece onto one page just as a reminder it works very well, I 'believe' it can also play a track for each page but I've never used that feature so could be wrong there. It's really for 'sheet' music but it does not work quite as well as real sheet music because you can only see one page at a time so reading ahead just before the page turn gets hard. plus you need to touch the screen to turn the page although there is a hardware pedal for that (airturn I think it's called) you can use (bluetooth connection so no wires).

There's another app someone on here mentioned a little while ago but I forget the name that seems to be some sort of lyric annotation software. You can mark the chords etc on the lyrics and then use the software to transpose on the fly etc. I think that can also play a backing track.

The advantage of the ipad is it's so much lighter than books of music and depending on how/where you mount it, much less conspicuous than a music stand.

• Members

I have two laptops with identical data on them (lyrics, music, backing tracks). I could get away with one, but having two is an insurance policy in the event that one fails. I've been doing this since 2002 and I've had one failure due to the CMOS battery dying and the computer wouldn't boot up and another almost failure, the HD was making noise and I assumed was about to fail. I did the rest of both gigs on one computer.

• Members

Here is what I've been using for the last six years, and it works out well.

I run Cakewalk Sonar, a DAW that I also use for my home studio recording. I find or buy a MIDI file, strip out the unwanted tracks, change key, whatever. I can add audio tracks of my own in the studio too if needed. Then I take the muted melody track and copy/paste and drop in the lyrics in a the lyric window. Then in the Staff view window, I add the chords above. When I'm performing, I have this screen on the laptop to glance at when I need to remember lyrics. It scrolls along with the song. I do have the riffs memorized, as I'm not about to notate everything!

http://www.mjmmusicgroup.com/sonar.jpg

The vertical line you see in the staff view is moving with the music, the words are highlighted in the lyric window. OK, call it karaoke if you must, but my audience never asked if I'm doing karaoke.

Below is (part of) my setlist window. I just hit the spacebar between songs to fire up the next tune and it loads, plays, and displays the staff view/lyric window layout automatically since that is how the Cakewalk file is saved. If I need to fill a request, or want to play something instead of the next song on the list, I can easily click on the song from this window, or drag and drop the song into the order that I want.

http://www.mjmmusicgroup.com/setlistwindow.jpg

• Moderators
I use an iPad app called forScore for sheet music/tabs/lyrics. If you can get your piece onto one page just as a reminder it works very well, I 'believe' it can also play a track for each page but I've never used that feature so could be wrong there. It's really for 'sheet' music but it does not work quite as well as real sheet music because you can only see one page at a time so reading ahead just before the page turn gets hard. plus you need to touch the screen to turn the page although there is a hardware pedal for that (airturn I think it's called) you can use (bluetooth connection so no wires)..

I saw this demo'd at NAMM last month...the drawbacks: it is a page oriented format rather than scrolling, as you mentioned...if it would scroll the sheet downward (which I suggested to them at the demo...hopefully they saw the light) it would be so much better; and the other issue is battery drain. They 'lost' the footpedal 'airTurn' during the demo; not a good indicator...I would not be willing to risk becoming dependent on this system until they can guarantee longer battery run time. Other than those two considerations, what it did do was impressive.

• Members

I use a program called "showplay" from Pride out of canada. @ 300.00 it may seem pricey but it is fantastic!

short learnig curve, best cutomer service i've ever had on the net, free upgrades for life, plays midi or mp3, built in softsynth, transpose, mute on the fly, scroll lyrics/chords, build "sets" and much much more. This is the best piece of gear[next to my bose] for solo gigs that i use, it's made the transition from band to solo entertainer wonderful. i can't say enough about it and NO i dont work for the company. Buy the trial version but dont leave it plugged into your comp when not in use cause, the clock is running

kev

• 7 years later...
  • Members

On 2/10/2012 at 8:53 AM, Walters9515 said:

I'm looking something that will have the lyrics, shows the chords and plays the backing tracks to a bunch of cover songs

Who makes something like this? that shows you the lyrics , the chord chart and plays the backing tracks to cover songs?

I came across this thread back in 2013.  As a result I started looking for what might be available that had both lyrics and chords with backing tracks.  I could not find anything that suited my needs. That is, backing tracks I could  perform with and also be able to conduct group sing alongs. So as a retired computer programmer I started messing around with what would need to be done to create these tracks.  That was over six years ago. I now have a sing along group that meets regularly as well as a growing list of song titles that I add to at the rate of around 8 to 10 songs per month.  The group was originally a meetup group but is now at www.downtomeet.com/strummers

I just thought I'd come back to where it all began, here in this forum.

• Moderators

Thank you for stopping by and telling your story, KaraUkey...it is always gratifying to find that somehow this place inspired someone, helped someone, educated someone....because that was why I originally asked to start this forum [and part of my pitch to management].

Have you considered packaging and marketing the program?

Is there a limit to how many units can be synched on a single song?

Is there a transpose function?

• Members
On 10/25/2019 at 1:05 PM, daddymack said:

Thank you for stopping by and telling your story, KaraUkey...it is always gratifying to find that somehow this place inspired someone, helped someone, educated someone....because that was why I originally asked to start this forum [and part of my pitch to management].

Have you considered packaging and marketing the program?

Is there a limit to how many units can be synched on a single song?

Is there a transpose function?

Hi Daddymack, Thank you for your response.

I was always going to leave coming back here until I got to 1000 songs, and I am nearly there. The backing tracks are basically midi files with synched words and chords. They require a suitable midi player for your device. The vanBasco player for windows is free and is ideal. Various players are available for other operating systems.

I also went the extra mile to acquire a digital download license to allow me to legally offer the backing tracks to others. www.karaukey.com

There are now lots of soloists, duos, sing along groups and even bands in various countries using them.

Requests for songs from these users, keeps the process of adding new tracks going.

Transposing the music is an easy function. Changing the chords embedded in the text is a little more challenging and will require a new midi player, a project still on the drawing board.

I can, and do, supply the tracks in different keys on request.

Meanwhile I have found lots of other great stuff here. Thanks for the forum, so pleased I stumbled on it all those years ago.

IMHO Anything that gets people singing and playing is a good thing.

Cheers

Archived