Most versatile vocal reverb type for live "set and forget" PA use on varied material.

dug dog

• Members

In recording a demo of different stuff I might do as a solo act, I've noticed that different tunes sound better with different amounts and types of vocal reverb. When it comes to playing live, I don't have the luxury of using a different vocal reverb for different tunes so need to set the PA's onboard FX on one reverb patch and at one level for the whole night.

How do you decide where to set it?

• Members

My preference is a plate style ... if you are playing indoors, and a hall style if outdoors. But it also depends greatly on what else is going on. I'd probably use more reverb if I were doing only a vocal mic and guitar as opposed to doing a full band or with backing tracks.

• Moderators

My preference is a plate style ... if you are playing indoors, and a hall style if outdoors. But it also depends greatly on what else is going on. I'd probably use more reverb if I were doing only a vocal mic and guitar as opposed to doing a full band or with backing tracks.

typicalyy this is how we set up for our band. Indoor, we use Pplate on the Yamaha board, set so it is just noticeable; outdoors, we have found that Hall works better, having a more natural decay. YMMV

• Members

I never really thought about using a different verb depending on whether you're indoor or out, but it makes sense. There are probably some crappy rooms in which you wouldn't use ANY reverb as the room itself is so lively.

• Moderators

I never really thought about using a different verb depending on whether you're indoor or out, but it makes sense. There are probably some crappy rooms in which you wouldn't use ANY reverb as the room itself is so lively.

Understatement! If only someone could invent an "UNreverb!" :facepalm:

Terry D.

• Members

Yup...in those cases, just turn the Reverb knob down, sometimes to "0".

• Members

Turn that crap off. There's way too much 'verb used everywhere. It's unbelievable how many "lead singers" insist on super wet vocal fold-back monitors, which cause nothing but feedback. I want to hear if I'm singing in tune, not how "pretty" your voice sounds with the Grand Canyon patch. Gearmanndude is right.

• Members

Turn that crap off. There's way too much 'verb used everywhere. It's unbelievable how many "lead singers" insist on super wet vocal fold-back monitors, which cause nothing but feedback. I want to hear if I'm singing in tune, not how "pretty" your voice sounds with the Grand Canyon patch. Gearmanndude is right.

Those times when there is no reverb available I've actually sung better. Had to actually put more effort into it haha.

Archived