Subwoofer?

Pine Apple Slim

• Members

If I were to add a sub to my SR450s, do I also have to buy a crossover, or is it built into most subwoofers?

Most have a passive X-over built in. A few don't, though.

Also, what would be a good match, for say $600 or less?

Well, there are Mackie's suggestions, if you want to keep everything Mackie:

or

and

Just gotta decide which is better for you needs.

OTOH, there are a lot of options if you want to "mix & match"...if you could describe, in great detail, ALL your anticipated needs, sub-wise, maybe one of us could help you more...

Largest # in anticipated audience?

Largest (in sq. footage) anticipated venue?

Inside, outside, both?

Acoustic-based listening music, electric-based dance music, both?

Solo, band, both?

How large/heavy a cab can you safely move, all by yourself?

• Members

do I also have to buy a crossover, or is it built into most subwoofers?

It is generally built into self powered sub systems ... HOWEVER ... you need to know the difference between a "crossover" and a "low pass filter" (typically used in QSC subs). A crossover has both a low-pass and a high-pass filter.

So, it will "work" either way (as in nothing should blow up) ... but ... it will work "correctly" with a true crossover.

Other than that, you need to answer for yourself all of Terry's points to decide what is best for you. You don't have to have the "ultimate" system to still do a respectable job. But it's a good idea to at least know how far away from that you actually are.

• Members
If I were to add a sub to my SR450s, do I also have to buy a crossover, or is it built into most subwoofers?

Also, what would be a good match, for say $600 or less?

I'm very fond of these for smaller gigs. I've had a pair for 3 years or so. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proel-FLASH15SA-Active-Subwoofer-Sub-FLASH-15-15S-15SA-FLASH15-PROAUDIOSTAR-/110785262723?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cb50f483

• Members

Largest # in anticipated audience?

Not too big, 150-200 indoor, perhaps up to 200-300 outdoor. Any larger venue than that and would prob have a house PA

Largest (in sq. footage) anticipated venue?

Im guessin 2000-3000 sq ft at most

Inside, outside, both?

see above

Acoustic-based listening music, electric-based dance music, both?

Primarly acoustic based, with sometimes drums, old fashioned Rock n Roll & country.

No chest pounding rave/dance music or extremely loud rock.

Solo, band, both?

Anything from duo to 5-6 pieces

How large/heavy a cab can you safely move, all by yourself?

50-60 lbs, lighter the better

Right now all I have is the 2 450s, some mics, stands, and a small 4 ch mixer, which works great for my acoustic duo, but want to eventually add a larger mixer and 2-3 powered monitors for a complete full band PA.

Dont think Id ever need more than 1 sub just to round out the sound. Might wanna mic the drums someday at a larger venue, and think it would make the keys and bass sound nice.

• Members

I haven't had any gigs that required a sub so far. I don't see where an acoustic duo would need one myself. Subs are important if the gig is all about dancing and you use backing tracks with heavy bass. And I've seen a couple of solo acts that used subs and got a great sound. If you're doing one nighters like me, it might be more important to use less and lighter equipment.

But if you must, Carvin has a powered sub that works well with srm450s that weighs a little less than 70 lbs.

• Members

EV SBA760 has been discontinued so they've been marked down. Word is these really pound. Also look into Yorkville for a serious sub, but some of these get quite heavy. I suggested Carvin because I have one. They're priced right, aren't too heavy, and are 700 watts. But you'll need an external crossover.

• Members

Slim, if you are playing to 300 folks outdoors, with a style of music that requires a subwoofer, I respectfully suggest that one sub is unlikely to be adequate, especially one in the price and weight range you are looking for. While there are all sorts of ensemble music where a subwoofer isn't needed, I don't think that your stated possible uses will be fully realized by one modestly priced, light weight sub. To adequately reinforce a kick drum outdoors for 300 people, I would personally want at least two subs of the quality of a JBL PRX618S-XLF. Obviously, you make do with what you have, but you may be disappointed in the results. YMMV. Mark C.

Archived