How ergonomic is your set up?

Bob Dey

• Members

This is mostly for those using a backing tracks, but anyone that wants to jump in, go ahead. How do you you set up your mixer, laptop and rack if you use one. I've been setting all on a keyboard stand to my right which creates one problem. Since I've been making videos of myself performing I noticed that I go the side sometimes during a song in order to adjust the mixer. I also reach over to push buttons on my efx processor. And between songs I'm at the laptop choosing the next song. Not only that, but sometimes I need to read the lyrics on the laptop while singing.

Anyway, it seems that I'm looking away from the audience too much by having everything to my right. I've thought about putting the gear and laptop in front of me somehow because it would be more ergonomic and would look better to anyone that might actually be watching me.

So, if anyone would like to share photos, or just convey in words how you set up your mixer, laptop etc., it might be beneficial to me and others. I'll post some pics later.

• Members

This is mostly for those using a backing tracks, but anyone that wants to jump in, go ahead. How do you you set up your mixer, laptop and rack if you use one. I've been setting all on a keyboard stand to my right which creates one problem. Since I've been making videos of myself performing I noticed that I go the side sometimes during a song in order to adjust the mixer. I also reach over to push buttons on my efx processor. And between songs I'm at the laptop choosing the next song. Not only that, but
sometimes I need to read the lyrics on the laptop while singing.

Anyway, it seems that I'm looking away from the audience too much by having everything to my right. I've thought about putting the gear and laptop in front of me somehow because it would be more ergonomic and would look better to anyone that might actually be watching me.

So, if anyone would like to share photos, or just convey in words how you set up your mixer, laptop etc., it might be beneficial to me and others. I'll post some pics later.

I don't use any of that but I will say, learn the lyrics. You really shouldn't need anything in the way of cheat sheets except maybe a title list. I have over 400 songs in my repertoire and I use a cheat sheet with the name and first line of the song. Some use title and key for their cheat sheet.

• Members

I use backing tracks on a laptop running Cakewalk Sonar, and it scrolls lyrics and a staff view. Sure, I know the lyrics by now and don't stare at the thing, but it is a great aid for the occasional brain fart.

I have the laptop sitting on a sturdy conductors music stand, with my audio interface next to it. The stand is set low and tilted almost horizontal to hold the laptop. I have it out front and to the right of me and can easily reach it, or glance at it when needed.

My latest audio interface is TC voicelive play GTX. It is a vocal harmonizer, and guitar effects pedal. But I have it on the music stand with the laptop since I programmed all the preset changes and can toggle the harmony on/off through MIDI commands in my tracks. (no more hovering over a pedal, I can have more audience contact) The guitar, mic, and tracks can all be mixed within the VL, and sent to the Bose which is sitting to the right and behind.

• Members

I don't use any of that but I will say, learn the lyrics. You really shouldn't need anything in the way of cheat sheets except maybe a title list. I have over 400 songs in my repertoire and I use a cheat sheet with the name and first line of the song. Some use title and key for their cheat sheet.

If I stick to the songs I do regularly there's no problem. I'm also in the 400 song range and some I haven't done in years. Others are new, but don't get used enough to have memorized. But memorizing all lyrics is something I will be working on, as it doesn't look good to stare at a screen. Having lyrics memorized improves performance all around.

• Members

I use backing tracks on a laptop running Cakewalk Sonar, and it scrolls lyrics and a staff view. Sure, I know the lyrics by now and don't stare at the thing, but it is a great aid for the occasional brain fart.

I have the laptop sitting on a sturdy conductors music stand, with my audio interface next to it. The stand is set low and tilted almost horizontal to hold the laptop. I have it out front and to the right of me and can easily reach it, or glance at it when needed.

My latest audio interface is TC voicelive play GTX. It is a vocal harmonizer, and guitar effects pedal. But I have it on the music stand with the laptop since I programmed all the preset changes and can toggle the harmony on/off through MIDI commands in my tracks. (no more hovering over a pedal, I can have more audience contact) The guitar, mic, and tracks can all be mixed within the VL, and sent to the Bose which is sitting to the right and behind.

Thanks Mike. This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

• Members

You can also try to get a more standardized mix so that you aren't always adjusting. I used to be a constant tinkerer (still am at heart) but I now fight the urge to tinker. If I feel that the bass is a little low, or the snare is too loud or whatever, I fight the urge to "break ranks" and I just carry on - or try to. Unless something is really out of whack, most people won't notice. You can always adjust after the song, or later at home.

I suppose that if you really need to be adjustnig.... between songs and you feel it's an issue, you might consider a headset mic. Then you can talk and fidget. You could even make fun of yourself. If you have to work your laptop you can say "hey folks, just checking my bid on ebay" and other egregious groaners....

And as you suggested putting your gear in front might help. I've used everything from work tables, to heavy duty music stands to keyboard stands to speaker stands with a small surface board attached. I'm currently back to music stands.

I don't personally worry about it too much, but I agree that when things are rockin' it's nice to stay engaged.

• Members

I have this. I have the legs adjusted to a comfortable height for me and I have extended the width a little and fixed a piece of plywood to make a top for the table. I then cover it with black fabric.

The mixer rack goes on it. The Tascam minidisc player is in the rack under the desk.

The front cover of the rack case fits exactly next to the rack. And I use that as a tray. The Top cover and back cover of the rack case hide under the cloth.

http://www.djmmusic.com/Itemdesc.asp?ic=KYS21-BK

I still prefer minidisc because I can record onto them from my 'master' disc and get the level about right.

And each disc holds 73 minutes worth of tracks.

I have a music stand in front of me, set low so that glancing down at it isn't really visible to the audience - and on the music stand I have a set list for each disc.

We tend to have a core of standard songs that go down well with most audiences we play for, but we can cherry pick which ones on each disc we want to do.

The Tascam has a remote control but I don't use that, I use the control knob to surreptitiously flick past a track we want to skip past. The desk is on my left.

My partner is on my right and as I am not encumbered by a guitar in front of me I can easily drift towards the left at the end of a song and flick the track selecter knob whilst still holding my mic and still looking at the audience.

I know this means our show tends to be pretty similar each time and that the songs tend to be performed in the same order, but it works for us.

And because I have done my best to get each track recorded onto the minidisc at pretty much the same level, it means there is minimum tweaking needed.

And regarding the wedge monitor mix - they have volume, treble, middle and bass knobs on each one so we can set those at sound check, and the desk controls for the monitors don't seem to vary that much.

Re the speaker/house mix,

we have an HK Audio Actor rig, and at small gigs we only use the top speakers on full range, and for big gigs we use the big speakers as well and have the tops on Satellite.

For the small speakers we call that Half Monty, and for the full rig we call it Full Monty. :lol:

And on the desk channels for pretty much most venues the mix doesn't vary that much.

I have marked each channel on the desk with the general settings for Full Monty mix and Half Monty mix and I don't usually have to stray very far from those.

I bought some red nail polish and put dots of it on to mark the Full Monty mix, and I used white nail polish to mark the Half Monty mix.

And I don't really have to sing into the desk that much to fiddle with stuff after the sound check.

Works for me.

And If I decide to switch around the order of songs and put some onto different minidiscs, I keep a list of all recording levels for all songs, so I know what level to record a track on a new disc.

• Members

Nah, that's when you have a screen with the lyrics scrolling up it.
:lol:

I have no problem with needing occasional lyrics assistance. What I have a problem with is a book right up in front of the performer or the performer constantly looking down at the words. The last guy we saw had the lower half of his face covered with a lyrics book. If you really mean business get a teleprompter that sits on the floor to scroll your lyrics. That's being pro. :)

• Members

I have no problem with needing occasional lyrics assistance. What I have a problem with is a book right up in front of the performer or the performer constantly looking down at the words. The last guy we saw had the lower half of his face covered with a lyrics book. If you really mean business get a teleprompter that sits on the floor to scroll your lyrics. That's being pro.
:)

Pianos are different. They come with built-in music holders that look best with binders in them.

• Members

If you really mean business get a teleprompter that sits on the floor to scroll your lyrics. That's being pro.
:)

I thought that was karaoke... but thanks for clarifying your point :). I also dislike seeing someone looking thru several books trying to find the next song. There are some gigs where nobody in the audience is paying any attention to the musical act, but I've had some lately where everyone is watching me during a good portion of the night. The latter is where it's important to go from song to song without a hitch.

Spending a little time planning set lists ahead of time can make the gig go much smoother. How about planning at least the first set with only songs that are completely memorized?

• Members

I don't use backing, and my setup is no cables and no stands. I am fully wireless and don't use lyrics. I have a artist list that I lay on the floor or to the side of me. I belive in that if you need lyrics, you don't know the song. I don't play songs I don't know...

• Members

I don't use backing, and my setup is no cables and no stands. I am fully wireless and don't use lyrics. I have a artist list that I lay on the floor or to the side of me. I belive in that if you need lyrics, you don't know the song. I don't play songs I don't know...

:thu:

• Members

come back and tell me that when you're 60

• Members

come back and tell me that when you're 60

I'm 62 and up until I was 59-60 I had problems with memorization or so I thought. What I found out was it was due to laziness and not age. My brain was out of shape. I started working on it and at first it was tough. The more I worked on it the easier it became to get lyrics cemented in my mind. I had Marty Robbin's "Big Iron" down in one day and firmly cemented in my mind in less than a week. You can do it if you don't mind working on it. :)

"In the town of aqua fria road a stranger one fine day .... la de da de da ......:)

• Members
I'm 62 and up until I was 59-60 I had problems with memorization or so I thought. What I found out was it was due to laziness and not age.

:thu: Mee too! When I was 19 I sucked at memorizing songs and used a music stand, some rock band huh? Late in my thirties I started being the same perfectionist as vocalist as I used to be on guitar. I suddenly found that it takes the same amount of time and work to be a good singer as on other instruments. Until then I just learned the melody somewhat and used a vocal sheet, so often for vocals I practiced a few minutes before playing it out, but spent hours perfecting the guitar part. At a point I realized that no one noticed the guitar details and most people noticed all the vocal details. So now in my fourties I make sure that everything is in perfect order before taking a song to a gig.

• Members

I have a pretty cool setup. I have a pedal case like this:

pdc410f2a.jpg

The top goes sits over a keyboard stand that's in front of me. I slap my laptop on there, pics, capo and all that good stuff. The bottom of the pedal case holds my mixer which is located to my right and sits in the bottom of the same case. The box/mixer sits on a "tray stand" stolen from a restaurant.

Archived