new system question

eyesore

• Members

hey folks;i've been playin my larrivee acoustic guitar thru an acoustic amp ;along with my vocal mic.thinkin about a PA for some more sound and i 'm playin with a bass player that sings...any sugestions for a small PA ?thanks!

• Members

ok more info...just some james taylor beatles;tec kinda music.playin farmers mkts,just about so 100 people could hear outside. no drum machine but need 3 vocal mics & three inputs for 2 acoustic guitars and 1 bass.i'm mostly backround music. thanks!

• Members

I use a small Yamaha mixer into a Fishman SoloAmp. Easy move and setup, great sound. I think it would do for 100 people outdoors--but when you play outdoors a lot depends on the surroundings....if you're playing on or near a busy street you may need more power, but the Fishman has enough oomph to handle most small/medium size venues.

• Members

hey folks;i've been playin my larrivee acoustic guitar thru an acoustic amp ;along with my vocal mic.thinkin about a PA for some more sound and i 'm playin with a bass player that sings...any sugestions for a small PA ?thanks!

If the bassist has his own rig: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP800L-PM12

If he doesn't: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP800L-PM15

Even better, if you can afford it is: http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP1000L-PM12 or http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP1000L-PM15

Lotta bang for your buck in any of these.

• Members

For small gigs like this, I use a Soundcraft EFX-8 mixer, a pair of Yorkville NX55P's mounted on stands, and a Yorkville LS720P subwoofer (or two). If you bass player has a decent rig, then the NX55P's alone should suffice. They have a reputation for pretty good bottom-end capabilities.

• Members

If the bassist has his own rig:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP800L-PM12

If he doesn't:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP800L-PM15

Even better, if you can afford it is:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP1000L-PM12
or
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/XP1000L-PM15

Lotta bang for your buck in any of these.

Too bad the specs suck or are just plain wrong.:confused: If you look at the specs listed for the speakers on the links you posted the 12 inch would be better for bass. I guess they figure the people buying there products don't understand them or care.:facepalm:

• Members

Too bad the specs suck or are just plain wrong.
:confused:
If you look at the specs listed for the speakers on the links you posted the 12 inch would be better for bass. I guess they figure the people buying there products don't understand them or care.
:facepalm:

It's a misprint in the specs for the combo setups.

The 12s

- Voiced for mains FOH and monitor applications

- PM12 features a 2.5" LF voice coil

- 1.5" HF driver for pristine highs

- Asymmetrical wide dispersion horn for greater coverage

- Rugged Polypropylene injection-molded enclosure for extreme durability - drop tested to 8 ft.

- Integrated pole-mount cup for use with Speaker stands or pole mounted on top of a subwoofer

- Suspension points for permanent installation (requires 10mm X 1.5mm fly hardware - not included)

- Freq. Resp.: 57 Hz to 18 kHz

• Members

the carvin system looks nice.i dont need anything fancy.thanks

Dependable, too...been using Carvin PA gear since 1977, and have always gotten a good sound w/o the headaches many brands can give you.

OTOH, Carvin pisses off certain sound snobs who like to brag about how much $$$ they got suckered out of... :lol:

• Members

Carvin is also a good choice for bands that don't get paid well.
:thu:
When you start making more money you might have to become a gear snob and buy some more professional gear.
:)

I've made a nice living, for many years, w/ my Carvin gear...as have many other "pros". :cool:

Odd that your superior gear hasn't elevated you to where you can go "pro"...why would you say that is? :idea:

• Members

I've made a nice living, for many years, w/ my Carvin gear...as have many other "pros".
:cool:

Odd that your superior gear
hasn't
elevated you to where you can go "pro"...why would you say that is?
:idea:

Well I guess if your idea of going pro is playing old folks homes for $75.00 a pop. No thanks I would rather shoot myself.:) In the next week I will make $950.00-1000.00 in 3 nights. pretty good money for a part time job.

• Members

For small gigs like this, I use a Soundcraft EFX-8 mixer, a pair of Yorkville NX55P's mounted on stands, and a Yorkville LS720P subwoofer (or two). If you bass player has a decent rig, then the NX55P's alone should suffice. They have a reputation for pretty good bottom-end capabilities.

Man, that's a lot of gear for a "small" gig!!

• Members

I'm starting to get the impression that Carvin get bashed because most of their stuff is competitively priced and sold directly from the company. No profits for the big online stores. Embedded marketing and people jumping on the "carvin is crap" bandwagon perhaps? Their amp demos could use some work. I have a V3 that's been working/sounding great for 5 years without any problems. People love to bash the V3 on these forums.

• Members

I'm starting to get the impression that Carvin get bashed because most of their stuff is competitively priced and sold directly from the company. No profits for the big online stores. Embedded marketing and people jumping on the "carvin is crap" bandwagon perhaps? Their amp demos could use some work. I have a V3 that's been working/sounding great for 5 years without any problems. People love to bash the V3 on these forums.

To a point. And, from what I've seen over the years, few of the bashers have actually used Carvin gear and go with second or third hand information.

I purchased my small Carvin PA in '95 and it had regular use for over decade with no issues while being knocked around in the back of a pickup or van and in all types of weather conditions. When health issues force me to curtail gigging and I had to sell it I got nearly what I paid for it new.

That said, there is some Carvin equipment that is lacking in performance but IMHO, their PA systems are not part among them.

• Members

To a point. And, from what I've seen over the years, few of the bashers have actually used Carvin gear and go with second or third hand information.

I purchased my small Carvin PA in '95 and it had regular use for over decade with no issues while being knocked around in the back of a pickup or van and in all types of weather conditions. When health issues force me to curtail gigging and I had to sell it I got nearly what I paid for it new.

That said, there is some Carvin equipment that is lacking in performance but IMHO, their PA systems are not part among them.

Well I have owned Carvin gear in the past. The most recent was a c1644 mixer. It worked fine but the effects sucked the built in EQs were next to useless IMO. I bought it because at the time it was the only mixer with built in effects that had enough auxes to do 4 monitor mixes. Peavey came out with the FX series about 6 months later that is a much better bang for the buck board.

• Members

hey midulusman, when you get some of these pissing contests started do you ever think " hey, i wonder if i can write my name in the snow this time in cursive?

Actually it is long enough I can just drag it in the snow and write my name.:)

• Members

I use two JBL PRX 612's and Yamaha MG124fx mixer. It may be out of your budget range but it does sound gooooooood!

Archived