What are your most popular cover songs in your set.

Ides of March

• Members

I am looking to add some modern covers to my set list. I mainly have Oasis tunes, a Stereophonics song, and some Beatles. But I need to add more songs in case I get some more shows that have a longer time slot. What are your more popular song choices. Cause the one's I pick usually are obscure one's from popular bands.

• Members

ones that seem to go down v well most of the time??

currently i find these - well theyre not all really modern but i find they work.:

sweet child of mine, dakota stereopphonics, a few simon and garfunkels (the boxer, mrs robinson)

beatles ones, time of your life (green day), little lion man (mumford and sons), im yours (jason mrz)

runaround sue (dion)....

that kind of thing??

• Members

I don't like too much new stuff so I leave that up to younger solo acts. I was gonna learn "better together" by Jack Johnson, but I just can't get into singing that style. "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" might be better. Same with Mraz. I just don't care for him.

• Members

I'd venture to guess that the majority of folks here aren't doing contemporary songs. I think if I were looking to do some big contemporary songs, I'd be doing "Somebody That I Used To Know" and "Payphone." Actually I'd skip "Payphone" because my falsetto sounds pretty bad. That's a case of "Know Thyself."

But really the discussion to have is about what kind of crowd you're trying to appeal to. I think there's an art to solo performing that isn't much discussed, even here, but should be: Matching the song to the performer to the audience to the venue. I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just spin it off.

• Members

Hands down our most popular current cover is Hey Soul Sister. I'm getting a great response to Somebody I Used to Know when I do it solo. The other two thirds of my trio thought it was too bitter and depressing to cover.

• Members

My most popular covers vary from gig to gig.

Daytime beachy gigs=Buffett and Bob Marley stuff

Nighttime more rockin (kind of) = Fuel, incubus, STP,Black Keys, Goo Goo dolls

Newer stuff= We are Young by Fun and Tongue tied by Grouplove both go over great. The trick with those is being able to sing at least close to the original key.

• Members

I tried out Pricetag by Jessie J, Forget you by Cee Lo Green (clean version) and Just the way you are by Bruno Mars last outing and the last two seemed to go down pretty well but Pricetag needs some work am performing tomorrow and have been working on Moves like Jagger so might throw it in if the crowd are in that sort of mood. As stated above its all about preforming for the people in front of you and not for yourself.

All the best Steve

Archived