Slightly OT: Monster Cables

Potts

• Members

Most smart people will tell you that Monster Cables are over-priced and a waste of money. I just walked into GC and returned 2 Monster Guitar cables that I bought about 18 months ago and got two brand new ones. I'm cool with spending $40 a cable once for the rest of my life.

Comments?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can buy a quality $10-15 cable, have it last 3-4 years at least and then just re-solder it if a problem does finally arise. Beats having to try and hang onto a receipt, at least for me.

The cool thing about GC --- at least in my experience -- is you don't need a receipt to exchange a lifetime warranty cable. They'll just take it and give you a new one.

And I'd pay you $10-15 bucks to solder my cables for me.....

• Members

I can buy a quality $10-15 cable, have it last 3-4 years at least and then just re-solder it if a problem does finally arise. Beats having to try and hang onto a receipt, at least for me.

I think my cable abuse comes at the hand of speedy setup and tear down. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure of it. I have some slight bends in the cables from the path they take to the board or whatever and I'm sure that it puts stress on the solders.. As a side note I also zip-tie all my cables coming from my pedal board and mic, power and such- it's much neater. It's a pain in the ass when you have to replace a cable but it's allows for a pretty quick setup and tear down.

• Members

And I'd pay you $10-15 bucks to solder my cables for me.....

Soldering is something everyone who does uses cables should know how to do. It's a hell of a lot harder to learn how to play guitar than it is to learn how to solder.

And, you don't have to spend a fortune on soldering gear.

You can buy something like this at Walmart for under ten bucks.

41XbckOSHYL._SS500_.jpg

A pocket pack tube of rosin core solder is just a couple of bucks.

21ZXcg5XEjL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And a can of soldering flux/paste can also be had under ten bucks and a pocket tube for about three bucks.

8IyRvR63g2PKQyDv0a1s2PiGtTBEl8j8SyRBGhFQ

RRNbiXSsXA-Bw-HpR3Y8FliMvuF3Ag7RKpevS0tu

And even something like this cordless unit can be found at a cost under ten bucks.

31U0%2BTKz5mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Members

Personally I think that in most instances, the cables are overpriced.

However.......

I do have one Monster Cable. It is stereo cable (not balanced) about 30 feet long that feeds a small monitor. The larger conductor makes for less loss and the better shielding makes for less inductive interference. The price paid is first of all the money and second, it is an uncooperative cable. It is thicker and less flexible than the others.

Is it worth it?

For that particular application 'yes', for the dozen or so others I have on stage, 'no' or at least 'not for me'.

Most of my other cables are medium priced ones. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but to the point where I feel I've reached the desired point of diminishing returns for the money I spend.

Now replacement phone plugs are another matter. I always get the large Switchcraft brand and I get them with screw (non solder) terminals. I can do a quick fix on the gig with a pair of diagonal pliers and a screwdriver. Then when I get home, if I want to I can remove the screws and solder the leads to the terminals. Most of the time I just leave the screws in, I've had no problem with that.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Members

LOL.. I just found another old cable today that was beat and not working. I walked in and got a free one in the package...I have no idea how old the one I returned was but I'm assuming it was a couple of years. Sure I could have just fixed it but then it wouldn't be new ;)

• Members

It's nice that GC will exchange Monster Cables with a smile and a nod...

However...

I'd rather not have to exchange the cable in the first place. For my money, the best cable is a cable that works; not one that can be replaced "for free" when it doesn't.

As to the scare quotes around "for free": you've paid up front for your replacements. Monster's bean counters have figured out how many trips the average consumer will make to replace a failed cable before realizing that it's a waste of time and effort.

• Members

It's nice that GC will exchange Monster Cables with a smile and a nod...

However...

I'd rather not have to exchange the cable in the first place. For my money, the best cable is a cable that works; not one that can be replaced "for free" when it doesn't.

As to the scare quotes around "for free": you've paid up front for your replacements. Monster's bean counters have figured out how many trips the average consumer will make to replace a failed cable before realizing that it's a waste of time and effort.

Then go with LiveWire instead of Monster.

18ft cable. $20. Lifetime warranty. How do you beat that with any other cable and some solder?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Advantage-Series-1-4--Angled---Straight-Instrument-Cable-100260163-i1128386.gc

• Members

Yeah you guys are being a little pretentious here as expected by the tone of my original post... If I get 150+ gigs at 3 hours each or somewhere around 500 hours for $40...yeah I'll go with that and then get another "free" one when it fails.

• Members

Well, I have one that I made up myself in 1983. Rodin ends and I don't recall what kind of cable.

Oh, ok.

In the meantime, since I have no clue as to which cables are much less likely to break, I'll think I'll go ahead and buy the ones I can exchange for free should they ever. Especially if they don't really cost me any more money. That seems kinda obvious to me.

• Members
If your into DIY, great. But, I look at time as money. Short drive, hand them over, I saved time which saves me money. I like live wire cables better though, but I own both.

I can resolder an end in 5 minutes while watching TV, etc. Can you drive to your store and be back home in that amount of time?

• Members

I use all live wire, for speakers the "elite" series. Patch, mic cables same brand, going on 3 years since I started not one failure. Knock on wood. ;) So I have a stupid question, lifetime warranty, check. 20 years from now when the model doesn't exist then what?

• Members

If your into DIY, great. But, I look at time as money. Short drive, hand them over, I saved time which saves me money. I like live wire cables better though, but I own both.

Uh huh, here it's at least a half an hour each way plus the cost of gas @$4.00+- per gallon vs maybe 10-15 minutes taking my time for the soldering job. Which is a more cost effective, timewise?

[edit]

I see tlbonehead beat me to it.

[/edit]

Archived