Playing for a Grade

Potts

• Members

I've mentioned it a couple of times here but I'm currently attending school again as a 43 year old junior- lol. I'll have my Bachelor's next Christmas. I'm working pretty hard to complete it quickly so this includes summer classes which are pretty intense.

I have to give a presentation tomorrow in my Sociology Class. The Class is Analyzing Social Problems. It basically looks at religion as a social problem. I was given permission to use music for my presentation. I was originally going to perform and discuss "Let it Be" because of the "religious" undertones but I thought it was too much of a stretch.

So yes..you guessed it- I'll be playing and discussing "Imagine". I just wanted to share this- I think it's pretty cool that my prof is cool enough to let me express myself through music.

• Members

Voltan... you have a problem
;)

yes sir, i have considered this at some length and realize my difficulty is not with Jesus, or his teachings but rather with most of his fan club... having american indian ancestry perhaps makes my filters a bit different on the subject of certain organized religious paths... :idk:

:D

• Members

McCartney is referring to his actual biological mother who's name is Mary in Let it Be. Lennon only speaks of no religion in Imagine, which could only be atheism. I'm guessing the prof wouldn't allow an actual Christian song. Good luck in class and have fun.

• Members

yes sir, i have considered this at some length and realize my difficulty is not with Jesus, or his teachings but rather with most of his fan club... having american indian ancestry perhaps makes my filters a bit different on the subject of certain organized religious paths...
:idk:

Well stated. I consider myself a Christian but I hate organized religion and the political ambitions of those who "are chosen" as leaders.

• Members

McCartney is referring to his actual biological mother who's name is Mary in Let it Be. Lennon only speaks of no religion in Imagine, which could only be atheism. I'm guessing the prof wouldn't allow an actual Christian song. Good luck in class and have fun.

Correct but the song is loaded with "Christian" overtones and people like to find meaning in things that aren't specifically there.

Lennon and Imagine? One could spend an entire semester analyzing the lyrics.

Lennon commented that Imagine was an "anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic [song], but because it's sugar-coated, it's accepted."[4]

She's cool- there were a bunch of Christians in the class. We could have presented on anything we wanted for the most part. I could have sang Jesus Loves Me if I had an observation or argument for or against it.

• Members

It was a pretty funny experience. I have about 3000 gigs under my belt and haven't been nervous in years. I was today and it was a pretty cool feeling.

LOL.. I did "Imagine" and the Prof was bummed because I told her I was going to do "Let it Be". I played both and was fairly embarrassed by it.

• Members

"Religion as a social problem" is the topic. Is this based on a book? or did the instructor pick this topic?

It's a huge topic that holds quite a bit of merit. Analyzing Social Problems is the class. She chose to tackle the religion aspect of it by presenting two books. The class was thought provoking for believers and non believers alike. I fit right square in the middle of the debate.

1) Sam Harris- "The End of Faith"

2) Phil Zuckerman- "Society Without God"

• Members

Right on with Let It Be, but I'm not completely convinced that Lennon is promoting atheism in Imagine. Yes, it starts out with the slightly-unnerving "Imagine there's no Heaven/It's easy if you try/No Hell below us/Above us, only sky," but I think it's more of a universal oneness, a zen thing he was singing about. He also said, "And no religion too." He was talking about the stupid things that people fight over, die over. Concepts that people kill each other for.

I just feel he was trying to say "let's break down all the walls we are building, we're all really one and the same, let's all live in peace together instead." I wouldn't consider that atheism. If anything, it's just a deconstruction of religions and a diety to be worshipped and distilling it down to the essence that we are all worth something, all spiritual, all part of the cosmos...which could be seen as that we are all part of God, without actually calling it that.

I guess that's how I always interpreted the song. I know some people get quite angry when they think about the lyrics, though...which is ironic, if you think about it... And funnily enough, it works as a nice slow dance number in a bar environment. "Imagine" that? :D

• Members

Right on with Let It Be, but I'm not completely convinced that Lennon is promoting atheism in Imagine. Yes, it starts out with the slightly-unnerving "Imagine there's no Heaven/It's easy if you try/No Hell below us/Above us, only sky," but I think it's more of a universal oneness, a zen thing he was singing about. He also said, "And no religion too." He was talking about the stupid things that people fight over, die over. Concepts that people kill each other for.

I just feel he was trying to say "let's break down all the walls we are building, we're all really one and the same, let's all live in peace together instead." I wouldn't consider that atheism. If anything, it's just a deconstruction of religions and a diety to be worshipped and distilling it down to the essence that we are all worth something, all spiritual, all part of the cosmos...which could be seen as that we are all part of God, without actually calling it that.

I guess that's how I always interpreted the song. I know some people get quite angry when they think about the lyrics, though...which is ironic, if you think about it... And funnily enough, it works as a nice slow dance number in a bar environment. "Imagine" that?

True, the song is really just idealistic. Too bad, so many people have been killed throughout history in the name of religion. Nevertheless, I choose not to follow Lennon's dream. To me, it's entertaining to ponder each verse, but not many people are gonna give up their possessions, erase their country's borders etc.

• Members

True, the song is really just idealistic. Too bad, so many people have been killed throughout history in the name of religion. Nevertheless, I choose not to follow Lennon's dream. To me, it's entertaining to ponder each verse, but not many people are gonna give up their possessions, erase their country's borders etc.

Yeah, that's the part of the song where I go, "Ooop! I was with you up to that point..." ("Imagine no possessions/I wonder if you can") haha. It would be one thing if everyone collectively decided to think this way, but because it won't happen, there would still be the 'haves' and the 'have-nots'. I'd rather be a 'have'. ;)

• Members

Potts: very cool! So what did you talk about when you presented the song?

Also, it's interesting how context can make such a difference in terms of nerves. I've been teaching at the university level for 23 years and performing as a musician regularly for about 7 years. I rarely get nerves at gig or in the classroom. But this past Monday, I visited an Osher Institute Adult Education class to teach a two hour class about Yiddish music. It was a perform, talk, and take questions set up, and I couldn't believe how nervous I was! I guess it had something to do with mixing the two activities (performing and teaching) and with doing one in the context of the other. Nerves fled, though, the moment I actually started addressing the class and leaped into my first song.

Louis

Archived