Naming a Solo Act AND a Band

Howie22

• Members

Kind of the reverse question of Cheri's thread. I didn't want to hijack or confuse that post.

I've been doing pretty well now as a solo act for the past couple of years. I'm building a name for myself, and started developing a bit of a following.

I've also spent a good amount of $$$ developing a brand image via a graphic designer, website, etc.

I've occasionally brought in a duo partner. However, I'm looking now to start more of an acoustic "group" for occasional gigs. I'll still be doing lots of solo stuff. After an arduous process, we agreed on a name for the group.

However, given my already developed name and the money I've spent and will be spending on graphic stuff, I'm wondering if I should just go with "The Fictitious Band Name" or "My Name and the Fictitious Band Name."

Right now, I'm leaning toward "My Name and the Fictitious Band Name." Not entirely sure how that will go over with the other guys. It's not really an ego thing, but more of a cohesive branding image thing. Also, if I'm investing in promo items (business cards/banners/signs/stickers/giveaways) that say both my name and the band name, then I can use them for any gig or promotional need. Otherwise, I'd need separate stuff for solo gigs and band gigs.

• Moderators

Well, a lot depends on the band, and the kind of set-up. If you are fronting the band as a singer/songwriter, and you are the principal writer, singer, etc, then brand it as your band...if you are the rhythm guitarist and one of several lead singers in the band, then it is the band, not you...

• Members

I'm doing the same thing.It is easier to use "Your Name,and the Other Guys",for me.The other guys may or may not complain,but its easier for a customer to remember.The sidemen will be there if there are gigs!Also,as you said,the money already spent for promo won't go to waste.And,if someone in the band decides to leave,or otherwise needs to be replaced,no problem.On my website ,there is a tab for "The Band",and the rest is solo stuff.Gives the customer a choice.

• Members

Well, a lot depends on the band, and the kind of set-up. If you are fronting the band as a singer/songwriter, and you are the principal writer, singer, etc, then brand it as your band...

This is the case (other than the songwriter part, as we are cover whores). The band is completely built around my solo act, and is just an extension of it.

• Members

On my website ,there is a tab for "The Band",and the rest is solo stuff.Gives the customer a choice.

That's exactly what I plan to do, though there will be a dedicated URL for the band name. It will all point to the same site, though, where there will be solo and band info.

• Members

This is the case (other than the songwriter part, as we are cover whores). The band is completely built around my solo act, and is just an extension of it.

First of all I'm jealous because that's what I want to do. I want a full band that is built around my solo show. Secondly- go for it dude- it's "Howie _____ and the Whatevers". People already know you. Why would you want to start over?

• Members

I would go with your name. Example The John Doe Band. I play in a name sake band like this. It keeps things simple and you are the guy that started it as a solo project.. It also clears the map for future CDs. You can go into the studio and work with session guys, way cheaper than you can transport your backing band and put them up and feed them while you are making CDs. You also will have better players backing you with no strings attached. Its how lots of song writer artists work. they record in the studio and have a road/ live show band.

• Members

I would go with your name. Example The John Doe Band. I play in a name sake band like this. It keeps things simple and you are the guy that started it as a solo project.. It also clears the map for future CDs. You can go into the studio and work with session guys, way cheaper than you can transport your backing band and put them up and feed them while you are making CDs. You also will have better players backing you with no strings attached. Its how lots of song writer artists work. they record in the studio and have a road/ live show band.

I'm not a songwriter, so there aren't any CDs

• Members

regardless, if you are the focus and the front man, you are doing the bookings and it is based on your skills and reputation...use your SSN and be done with it...
;)

This is all true. Y'all have confirmed for me what I wanted to do anyway. It's going to be Howie22 and The Fictitious Band Name"

• Members

That's sounds so final and depressing. Time to start writing dude.

Let me try again. . .

"I haven't written any songs yet, so CDs aren't a current concern. We can worry about that when the time comes." ;)

In all seriousness, I barely have time to practice and learn any new songs, much less write. Maybe one day.

• Members

I'm not a songwriter, so there aren't any CDs

It really doesnt matter. If you are the known factor that has the draw to get the gigs ,, having your name on the band is a net positive for the guys in the band. If you have mature band members its not going to make a rats ass difference to them. It will also make it easier to keep a project going as guys come and go out of the band. Right now we have three guys who play drums for us. We play some shows with drum tracks. I keeps things flexable , and all of our gigs are booked on the draw of the solo performer we back. When someone asks me what band do you play for ,, When I say I play for so and so ,,, its a known factor to them.

• Members

How about Howie44 for the band? (I have no idea the significance of 22, though) ...or Howie22 Plus

Howie22 is just a forum name. Nothing to do with a stage name.

22 has no significance whatsoever. Just a random number I used since Howie was already taken on this board.

Archived