How long should frets last?

Loner

• Members

I changed my avatar to a pic of my tele with my new warmoth neck. my old one had such bad wear in a few spots that it would catch when I tried to bend strings. I got it used, so I don't know exactly how long it lasted. How long do yours last?

I got a new American Tele about 4 years ago, though and it has some bad grooves starting where I play chords a lot. I probably play too hard, but is this normal? A fret job is almost as much as a new neck, and I don't know of anyone I would trust to do it. I've got 4 or 5 necks piled up around here that need attention and I'm thinking of buying the tools to start doing it myself. Does anyone do that?

• Members

i have a friend that does re-frets... he is obsessive compulsive and detail oriented when it comes to doing perfect work... i've had him do my 69 les paul, my strat, and my taylor with stainless steel frets and i love it! pm me and i could give you the price he is doing strats and teles for on his summer special... super work and you cant buy the tools for what he is doing the work for right now...

• Members

i should state tat he does many other things as well... re- sets necks, refinishes, repairs headstocks, fixes cracks, makes all his own bone nuts and bridges, refinishes fingerboards, bridges, pickups, guitars, sitars, banjos, viloins, violas... he's a monster... :)

• Members

If the frets aren't too worn out they can be dressed instead of refretting. How long they last depends on what they're made out of. I remember reading somewhere that there are frets made out of a material that won't wear out, but it's too hard on strings. That's about all I know.

Check here http://www.stewmac.com/ to get an idea of guitar building tools and supplies.

• Moderators

I have never refretted any of my guitars...and I have some fairly old ones...a lot has to do with how you play and the strings you use. I agree that many people jump to a refret when a dressing will be more than sufficient.

• Members

i went ss on only the first 5 frets on each neck. it stopped the normal wear i get by playing the country chords. didnt need to go beyond the 5th fret because they hardly have wear beyond that. makes it easier to dress also. that is no audible difference going from ss to normal nickle frets. its just a pain to level 21-22 ss frets on a neck. it will wear out a diamond file in 2-3 fret dressings.

i've done this to 13 guitars. never have to worry about frets again.

Archived