So I'm taking my Uke to a gig tonight...

chemikool

• Members

My birthday was earlier in the week and my girl got me a really nice Uke. All this week I've been playing it with a big smile on my face. I've got a gig tonight and have decided to bring the Uke. I'll still be bringing a guitar, but I do plan to at least do a mini-set on the Uke.

Anyone else bring out any "non-standard" instruments for gigs? If this goes over well I could see it becoming a permanent thing.

• Members

I just got a uke last week also! Lots of fun! What are some good 'uke songs'? I'd love to take it onstage.

As for non- standard instruments, I play fiddle & harmonica. Not a virtuoso on either, but people seem to like seeing someone play them. Variety is always a good thing.

• Members

Besides 6- and 12-stringed guitars and racked harmonica (my "standard" instruments), I sometimes bring along my open-backed 5-string banjo (often for kiddie-oriented shows) or my mandocello and mandolin (for Celtic-oriented shows), but a lot depends on how much room the "designated stage area" offers.

• Members

I bet you'll like these, too...not sure why Geoge Formby isn't better known these days.

[video=youtube;bp1g977yysk]

[video=youtube;PhzCBLs8cdQ]

[video=youtube;vEymZ3rXOmc]

Formby frequently played a banjolele, but he used a wooden uke for some songs, as well.

[video=youtube;sfmAeijj5cM]

• Members

I bet you'll like these, too...not sure why Geoge Formby isn't better known these days.

Ditto Cliff Edwards. My guess is that the vast majority of people haven't heard of the major stars of the day (Rudy Vallee, Al Jolson ....) so they won't know the supporting cast at all. Formby was big in Britain in a way that Edwards was not in the US (except as Jimminy Cricket) but his sort of double-entendre humour comes across nowadays as kind of creepy. Nowadays it's "Nice ass, let's {censored}" rather than "you'll never guess what I saw through the window... ooh hee hee hee." This, too will change I suppose.

• Moderators

this is one of the main reasons why I picked up Ukelele a year or so back...IZ!

[video=youtube;V1bFr2SWP1I]

I'm on my second uke, and have worked up about a half a set's worth of uke tunes, and will incorporate it into my solo act.

[video=youtube;pYkSHg7RcXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYkSHg7RcXU&feature=related

We go to Hawaii about every other year, and I became enamored of the simplicity of the sound, yet the complexity of chord comping, if you will, via simple voicings...it has been an eye opener. SAdly, it is hard to find many places outside the tourist traps where really good uke players hang out when you are not a local...I stumbled on a farmers market in Kona a few years back, and managed to get to talking to the guys playing...uke, upright bass and a six string guitar, but the guitarist also doubled on slack-key and lap steel (two other faves of mine)...these guys were playing for peanuts, but the y were tight, pro and slipped effortlessly from trad Hawaiian, to the hokey Don Ho stuff, to Hawaiian swing style, and rock...

One of my favorite songs on the soprano uke is 'Would You like To Swing on a Star'...but I also do 'Over the Rainbow', 'Up A Lazy River' (which I will likely medley with 'Swing on a Star'), and a few other slightly more contemporary tunes.

Archived