Bose L1 Testimonial

Loner

• Members

After hearing all the love for them on this forum, and because my wife likes Bose stuff, I bought a Bose L1 compact about a month ago. It sounded great around the house, but I didn't know what to expect live until I took it to the farmer's market gig I had last Thurs. I am sold on it big time now for this kind of gig. All I brought was my guitar and mic. No effects, no nothing. Mp3 for break music. I can't wait to play another acoustic show with it! It brought out every nuance of my voice and guitar perfectly. I still don't think it puts out enough bass for a bar gig with backing tracks, but it's great for this kind of stuff. Thanks Harmony Central for getting me to try new things!

• Members

Very cool...

My L1 Model 1 just went down after 6 years of flawless service, so I'm playing through my Compact and liking it. Not quite as much oomph as I'm used to (I use full backing tracks), but a great sound.

I'm thinking of selling the model 1 after getting it fixed and adding another Compact. I think two of these would be perfect for the moderate volume restaurant/bar scene.

• Members

That sucks! Whats the deal with it? I guess Bose will fix anything wrong with them for $250 no matter what it is.

Yeah, sucks. Was working in the am. Went back to practice in the evening and no power light. Can't really afford the $250 right now but I guess I could have it fixed and sell it on with the 1 yr warranty and buy another Compact. Maybe have a few bucks leftover...

• Members

Interesting that you want another compact instead of the L1 Model 1. Can you elaborate? I was thinking of going the other way. I have a compact, and was thinking of getting the L1.

But now that you mention it, maybe I should consider two compacts!

I dunno... How about a second L1! I have a friend here that runs 2 L1's and 4 subs for an acoustic solo gig and holy {censored}!

• Members

Been considering the 2nd B1 on Darrell's advice here, and have been to the Bose forum for advice. I've wondered about a compact combined with our L1 model 2....

The compact is attractive because even my wife could carry it in and set it up if she ever did a solo thing. The L1 is too heavy for her.

• Members

i know you probably thought about this already, but of course you checked the fuse? they are noted for blowing them. they even come with a spare when you buy them.

i picked up an L1 classic and it sounds awesome. i did add an extra bass sub. i really like the classic because of the 750 watts as apposed to the L1 model 1 & 2 only having 500 watts.

my power light does not come on, but everything works fine. i can tell its working when i send a audio signal to it, the channel lights blink.

• Members

i know you probably thought about this already, but of course you checked the fuse? they are noted for blowing them. they even come with a spare when you buy them.

Great advice...I never thought of that. Have you ever blown one Jay?

My Bose sunds great but is completely destroyed. The grills are coming off, the paint is chipped like crazy and all the contacts are a mess. Sometimes I have to reseat the columns in order for it to produce any audio. It still works but one day I'm sure I'll get to a gig and it'll be dead.

• Members

i picked up an L1 classic and it sounds awesome. i did add an extra bass sub. i really like the classic because of the 750 watts as apposed to the L1 model 1 & 2 only having 500 watts.

my power light does not come on, but everything works fine. i can tell its working when i send a audio signal to it, the channel lights blink.

Yeah...tried another fuse. Still no good. Only lights I get are if I press the phantom power buttons, and then they pulse ominously.

The Model 1 sounds great, no doubt, but is a bit overkill for me and what I am doing now. Two compacts, in addition to being less to carry, give me the option to use one or both depending on the gig. Bring one in, leave the other in the car for backup. Also if using two and one goes out... instant backup.

I have used two B1 bass units with the L1 for the past few years highly recommend the second B1 if you can swing it.

• Members

Great advice...I never thought of that. Have you ever blown one Jay?

My Bose sunds great but is completely destroyed. The grills are coming off, the paint is chipped like crazy and all the contacts are a mess. Sometimes I have to reseat the columns in order for it to produce any audio. It still works but one day I'm sure I'll get to a gig and it'll be dead.

i was on the bose forum and read the threads about blown fuses. seems pretty common. no i havent had any issues with the fuse. mine works pretty good. i bought mine for $800 and grabbed another B1 for $175, then won an ebay auction for the covers for $60. i'm pretty set now.

i played last weekend for 250 people in a pretty good size hall. i had plenty of power. the extra sub made a big difference. but then again, i have all my instruments on seperate channels, so i can turn up the bass guitar and kick drum to get good thump.

i had a lot of compliments about the sound. especially how clean and clear it was. plenty of highs and lows (nothing like what people say about "no highs, no lows, must be a bose")

i would love to grab another deal like this again. i couldnt be happier

• Members

i hate to bring up the whole bose thing again, but i am picking up my second L1 since i was so happy with the first one i bought a few weeks ago.

this one is the model 1 (500 watt) and comes with the b1 and all covers and r1 remote. its 2 yrs old and suppose to be in near mint condition. a father bought it for his boys band. but they want a bigger size system. they're asking 850. i think i can get it a little less. maybe even trade some of my big gear for it. we'll see saturday afternoon.

though its not an L1 classic (750 watts), it still will come in handy when i need to fill a wide room or bigger crowd or as just a backup incase my other L1 goes down.

got to love craigslist.

• Members

dont know. i've been watching ebay and craigslist for a while. there are about 4-5 for sale within a 50 mile radius, but they want 1350-1600 for them. then there are a couple that were asking 1000. they cant seem to move them. the other one i bought was on craigslist for over 2 weeks before i looked at it. the only bite they got was a guy that only wanted to pay 500 for it.

even guitar center sells their used L1 systems for 1299. i would love to find another classic, but for the price, i hate to let this one go. i can always keep searching. another one is bound to pop up.

i tend to think with the economy, its a buyer market and some people that bought expensive toys are coming onto hard times and need to sell quick.

• Members

Here is what used L1 gear has been selling for on eBay. I have this data - because we just bought one of our band members out of the shared part of our system.

Item Avg Used Ebay

L1 Model 1 $810.00

T1 $355.00

B1 $169.00

A1 $300.00

• Members

there are a few packlites going cheap around here 200-225. one guy is selling a packlite and one b1 for 400. of course there is also guys selling their l1 for 1500 and there is damage to the cylinder. i called him and he says they are selling for 1500-1800 on ebay. i havent seen any selling for that price. even ones in mint condition.

i didnt get the L1 yet. i called yesterday and talked to the father. he said he had a golf tournament in the morning and should be home by 1pm. so i knew i would be driving 60 miles to get there, i decided to start driving down there around 1pm to get a head start. half way there i call the father. he says that the L1 isnt at his house. its at his boys and i should call him to setup a time to see it. i pulled off the road and took his boys number. then i called and got his answering machine. "go figure"!

so i turned around and waited for a call back. at 6pm i decided to send him a text to the number. he replies immediately that he's not home and wont be back till monday...(why do the put stuff up on craigslist if there is no way to see it?) anyway, in the listing, he stated that everything was in excellent condition, but in the text he said that the lid covering the control jacks was missing, and the zippers needed replacing on the cylinder covers. but its been lightly used (duh!) i'm thinking its getting cheaper with each text he responds to me.

anyway....i now have to wait till monday. i'm thinking 650-700 now

• Members

Wow..those are great prices. I'd like to see the T1 drop a little more and I'd get one. I just run through a Mackie right now and it's a bit overkill. The T1 is still a little costly for something that's proprietary.

Here is what used L1 gear has been selling for on eBay. I have this data - because we just bought one of our band members out of the shared part of our system.

Item Avg Used Ebay

L1 Model 1 $810.00

T1 $355.00

B1 $169.00

A1 $300.00

• Members

he said that the lid covering the control jacks was missing, and the zippers needed replacing on the cylinder covers.

Mine is so old I forgot it had a lid over the jacks and I think I have some of the really nice bags that Bose put out. (not the black ones). They were so cool when they first started selling them. A few months after I purchased my L1 (PAS back then), they sent me the custom bags which were about $300 or something. A couple of months after that they sent me some super expensive headphones. Great customer service.

• Members

Looking at what these are selling for used, I might just keep mine after I fix it. It really is a different experience playing through the L1 vs the Compact, especially with tracks. If I was just running guitar and vox I have no doubt the compact(or two) would be great, but when the tracks get added in I can "feel" the limits of what it can do. Seems like some of the midrange fullness I like so much from the L1 gets sucked out going through the compact.

Darrell, I initially had a hard time dialing in the model 1 and decided to give the T1 a try. Instant satisfaction. It replaced a small Mackie mixer with fx but offered so much more. It allowed me to ditch my guitar amps, craft a vocal sound I finally love (tailored to my mic), acts as the soundcard for the computer audio and even makes a great interface for recording.

Now, if you don't have a need for all this it might not make sense to spend $500 on a mixer, but for all it does for me it's the best $$ I've spent on audio gear.

• Members

That's great! I've heard them and they sound awesome! Really you can use it to record? Care to explain?

Looking at what these are selling for used, I might just keep mine after I fix it. It really is a different experience playing through the L1 vs the Compact, especially with tracks. If I was just running guitar and vox I have no doubt the compact(or two) would be great, but when the tracks get added in I can "feel" the limits of what it can do. Seems like some of the midrange fullness I like so much from the L1 gets sucked out going through the compact.

Darrell, I initially had a hard time dialing in the model 1 and decided to give the T1 a try. Instant satisfaction. It replaced a small Mackie mixer with fx but offered so much more. It allowed me to ditch my guitar amps, craft a vocal sound I finally love (tailored to my mic), acts as the soundcard for the computer audio and even makes a great interface for recording.

Now, if you don't have a need for all this it might not make sense to spend $500 on a mixer, but for all it does for me it's the best $$ I've spent on audio gear.

• Members

So, I'm thinking of looking for a used L1 when I get back to FL.

Currently, I mix everything in my voicelive play gtx. It also acts as a soundcard for the tracks, even sending midi commands over the usb simultaneously. Guitar has amp sim, and effects, and vocal effects and harmony. There is a dedicated button to get quickly to the mix screen, and it lets me adjust them on the fly. Since I send the harmony on/off toggle through midi not using the foot switch, the unit is siting in arms reach next to my laptop.

I guess I wouldn't need a T1?

Darrell, I think he meant you can use it as an audio interface when recording in a DAW. The voice live play gtx will do that too!

• Members

Darrell, I think he meant you can use it as an audio interface when recording in a DAW. The voice live play gtx will do that too!

Thanks Mike! That's what I was actually hoping he meant. It would make more sense to me to purchase it if I could use it in my little studio with Cubase and my PC.

Archived