Can they tell you what to drive now, too?

Loner

• Members

Here's an interesting scenario: A couple of weeks ago I played for this bar. I've played there a couple of times this summer and the people always seem to be a little stand-offish. The patrons and the staff, both. I've had small but appreciative crowds.

When I went in to get paid the owner said'I think people aren't coming in because your car creeps them out'. ( I travel in a hearse. It is a '95 and it has my logo and name all over it. No one would mistake it for a real hearse.) All I could come up with at the time was'That's too bad'. It's been bothering me ever since. I've been using hearses for 13 years now and I've never had the bar owner say something like this. The car is my calling card and rolling advertisement. I always say 'The kind of person who wouldn't go into a bar with a hearse backed up to the door is someone I wouldn't want to play for anyway'.

What do you all think?:confused::confused:

• Members

LOL... The owner is probably wrong but a hearse? Really? Damn- I felt weird when I had a mini van.

No one actually dies in a hearse. They are actually very practical. Think about it; A big comfortable Cadillac in front and a low roller platform in back to load your stuff. Plus they look bad ass!

• Members

Not saying you are wrong, but I can see where people would be uncomfortable with it.

People in the U.S. are generally freaked out by the idea of death and the dead. I think the hearse idea is cool. Perfect gig-mobile. However, I don't think I could personally drive one, nor could I live in a house where someone died, etc. I will freely admit that I have no rational reason for feeling that way.

• Members

It's a funny business. When business is slow it's usually the band's fault because they are the easiest thing to blame and the easiest thing to replace.

I drive a white, nondescript mini-van. It's uninteresting and therefore less likely to be broken into. The white keeps the contents cool, and the tinted windows keep them out of sight. But I still don't trust it, and never leave my vehicle unattended when my gear is in there.

BTW Terry, I love the '59 Caddie

Notes

• Members

I live about 10 miles from a GM car plant.They employ a lot of people in the area.Years ago,when I was selling real estate,I bought a used Mercedes.I had more than one potential customer tell me not to park "that foreign car" in their driveway,etc.So that Caddy hearse would be cool here!

• Moderators
It's a funny business. When business is slow it's usually the band's fault because they are the easiest thing to blame and the easiest thing to replace.

I drive a white, nondescript mini-van. It's uninteresting and therefore less likely to be broken into. The white keeps the contents cool, and the tinted windows keep them out of sight. But I still don't trust it, and never leave my vehicle unattended when my gear is in there.

BTW Terry, I love the '59 Caddie

Notes

Well, one thing our bass player pointed out was that NO ONE ever tries to break into a hearse....;)

• Members

Thanks for all your posts. Terry, if you still had that hearse today it'd be worth about 15 grand! '59's are the Holy Grail of hearses. Ever seen Harold & Maude?

Another strange aspect of this story is that there's another guy who plays at this place that uses a Ford van Ambulance to haul his gear. If a vehicle was going to be haunted, that'd be the one! I bet lots of folks died in that thing! I don't know if they told him it kept people away or not.

• Members

One of my first high school bands used a hearse for our gigs. The owner was a friend of the band, and he had painted it brown with a whole bunch of cartoon characters on it. Great gear vehicle, and no one ever complained - probably because it looked like a circus wagon.

Anyway, not all bar patrons are bright. If they see a hearse outside (no matter what the logo says) they might think something has gone wrong inside the venue, even though ambulances are used for emergency transport. But like I said.... not all bar patrons are the sharpest tack in the box.

• Members

TAH...a band I was in back in the mid 70s had that exact hearse, except in white, and no windows in the aft section, just panels...despite the 'gruesome' aspect, they are practical as all get out for hauling gear! We got 2 Marshall halfstacks and an SVT 2x15 into it... it belonged to the bassist. He told people it was a Cadillac station wagon...
;)

In white they're called ambulances. Depending on the gig, it could come in handy...

cadillac-ambulance-01.jpg

Archived