How does this new stage rig look?

espgold

• Members

Using a lot of helpful info gleaned from this forum, and a little ingenuity, I finally moved from laptop to Ipad (at least for now). This meant I could lose the orchestra stand I was using as a table for the laptop and mixer and mount everything to my mic stand.

My two concerns were about sight lines...mine to the ipad, and the audience's to me. I'm adjusting to the ipad and having it off to the right side helps tremendously. Evertything is very stable although I would like to upgrade from the iklip to something more robust.

I'd like honest opinions as to how it looks, not whether I should be using an ipad, or playing solo, or using tracks, etc... there are lots of threads about that. This isn't my stage wear, btw, just mucking around. Is it too minimal??

1044427.jpg

1044429.jpg

1044428.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks compact and efficient.

Just being picky ... as far as eye appeal I would look for a way to center the iPad and mixer on the mic stand instead of off to the right , just for visual symmetry. I think using a black cover on the iPad would draw less focus to it.

• Members

Looks good to me! It helps me visualize where to put an ipad someday for my wife. I was concerned with her not being able to see the text from too far away.

Not to get off topic, but how do YOU find using 2 B1s? Potts just got a second one and loves it. I'd like to swing it $$$ wise soon. We are a duo that goes into one L1 MkII.

• Moderators

Looks like you found a fairly simple arrangement.

Is the height of the iPad okay? It looks low to me...you shouldn't have to tilt your head down to see it, at least from a showmanship and ergonomic standpoint...Also, the harmonica holder is distracting....;)

• Members

Ohh, I'd love a black cover...see that's what I'm talking about. I'm used to it so I don't realize the distraction it might be from out front. Gonna have to git me sharpie out!

The problem with a center mount is that to see it I have to look down the mic boom, so it's obstructed, plus I get all cross-eyed feeling like those folks in The Jerk.

• Members

Looks good to me! It helps me visualize where to put an ipad someday for my wife. I was concerned with her not being able to see the text from too far away.

Not to get off topic, but how do YOU find using 2 B1s? Potts just got a second one and loves it. I'd like to swing it $$$ wise soon. We are a duo that goes into one L1 MkII.

LOVE the second B1! Makes a big difference outdoors and really tightens up the low end indoors, for me. I always use both, even for smaller rooms...better balance, I think. I do a benefit show every year where there is a fashion show with pumping techno music and I'm encouraged to turn it up. It handles the job easily in a ballroom with 300-400 guests. It's not a "kick-you-in-the-chest" experience but it is not lacking either.

• Members

Lose the chrome stand and get a snake to tidy up your wires if you're looking for "as clean as practical"

I've been working with my iPad mounted on a gooseneck and riser and have it down an to the left so it looks like I'm doing the typical "Guitar Player Looking At His Chording Hand Thing" killing two birds.

When I get back off the road, I'm going to spend more time navigating the screen with my left hand but this seems to be the direction I'm most satisfied with so far. The foot pedal looks like it might be icing on the cake.

• Members

Ipad is too high and obscuring you. Even when I was using my notebook on a stand it was ALWAYS at about 2 O'clock and low..Music stand almost flat so I can glance down at it as a reference at best. I suggest you doing the same.

I see that others are telling you to raise the Ipad and center all that crap on your micstand. I think it's all obscuring you and quite frankly makes you look amateur. None of your idols have all that crap on their micstands. To me that never looked cool.

• Members

Ipad is too high and obscuring you. Even when I was using my notebook on a stand it was ALWAYS at about 2 O'clock and low..Music stand almost flat so I can glance down at it as a reference at best. I suggest you doing the same.

I see that others are telling you to raise the Ipad and center all that crap on your micstand. I think it's all obscuring you and quite frankly makes you look amateur. None of your idols have all that crap on their micstands. To me that never looked cool.

But if he were a keyboard player, obscurity wouldn't be an issue. I can agree that an untidy appearance is distracting, but some of us use these tools as part of our performance and HAVE to keep them within reach.

• Members

Looks good man... Just a couple of quick pointers. How often do you actually adjust your T1? Probably not very often right? I just went through this with my mixer. Lose it and move i somewhere else. I know it's nice to have right there but it's getting pretty crammed on that mic stand. Put it on another stand way off to your right or something. Go with a black mic stand for your main one, use some velcro on the cables, do whatever is comfortable with your Ipad, and go with whats comfortable for you.

:rolleyes: His idols don't do 75 tunes a night in a bar, mixing their own sound and taking random requests from people. Sure- is it a bit distracting? Yeah but how about a solution instead of a comment about what others are doing?

• Members

I should have put up a pic of the old setup. The table top stand with 12" laptop, mixer, power supply and sometimes a skirt on it. Much more obscuring going on. I need these tools within easy reach and sight. I like the idea of putting the ipad to the left to mask my looking at it. One of the things this rig will force me to do is to learn the songs better that I use the ipad for (lyrics).

Black stand is another good suggestion. The Tama is just so solid though... Cable management will be done when I'm happy with the general arrangement. I cut my cables to the necessary length so they are easy to tie off. When I play out there is only one power cord coming to the stand and one balanced line leaving, taped to the floor. Harmonica holder can go away.

What my "idols" do is irrelevant. I guess if I see a guy doing this type of show, doing it well, and using his musical skills in a way that makes the hardware disappear...that would be my idol. I'm not trying to pattern myself after anybody and it would be foolish to compare myself to, say, Boz Scaggs or Radiohead. But I get what is being said. A real player doesn't need all these crutches. My audiences don't seem to mind.

• Members

I should have put up a pic of the old setup. The table top stand with 12" laptop, mixer, power supply and sometimes a skirt on it. Much more obscuring going on. I need these tools within easy reach and sight. I like the idea of putting the ipad to the left to mask my looking at it. One of the things this rig will force me to do is to learn the songs better that I use the ipad for (lyrics).

Black stand is another good suggestion. The Tama is just so solid though... Cable management will be done when I'm happy with the general arrangement. I cut my cables to the necessary length so they are easy to tie off. When I play out there is only one power cord coming to the stand and one balanced line leaving, taped to the floor. Harmonica holder can go away.

What my "idols" do is irrelevant. I guess if I see a guy doing this type of show, doing it well, and using his musical skills in a way that makes the hardware disappear...that would be my idol. I'm not trying to pattern myself after anybody and it would be foolish to compare myself to, say, Boz Scaggs or Radiohead. But I get what is being said. A real player doesn't need all these crutches. My audiences don't seem to mind.

Just do what works.

I have burned WAY too many brain cells trying to imagine "The Holy GRAIL" of soloist stands.

I ve allowed issues like this to sidetrack me from learning and playing and performing.

I took the wrong approach and I'm working hard to get back on track.

Just go play

• Members

I get what you're saying about having to look down your nose to see the iPad. I use a boom mic stand that's set off to my right. The iPad is set low, about navel height and tilted at about a 45 degree angle. It's low enough and off to side enough so that it doesn't obstruct the audience's view of me (which is not necessarily a good thing), but it's easy to see and reach when and if I need to.

• Members

I should have put up a pic of the old setup. The table top stand with 12" laptop, mixer, power supply and sometimes a skirt on it. Much more obscuring going on. I need these tools within easy reach and sight. I like the idea of putting the ipad to the left to mask my looking at it.

First of all your setup is fricken AWESOME and most people that play our type of gigs would love to have a setup like yours. But you asked for opinions so I thought I'd post two. ;)

My setup was the same as your old setup until a month ago. Just wondering...why did you make the move to the IPad and T1? I'm assuming it was to streamline your setup and clean up the stage a bit right? No offense,and of course it doesn't really matter, but the T1 mounted to the mic stand is the biggest obstruction. Your mount for the IPad is HUGE and coupled with the T1, I almost expect to see a bass drum on your back. If you looked at it and agreed, you obviously are not going to lose the IPad so that leaves you with the T1.

How often are you actually adjusting your vocal or guitar? I'd lose the mixer and put it within arms reach to the right. I'm not saying what I do is correct but I've found that the closer I have my board the more I screw with it. Just my two cents.

• Members

I get what you're saying about having to look down your nose to see the iPad. I use a boom mic stand that's set off to my right. The iPad is set low, about navel height and tilted at about a 45 degree angle. It's low enough and off to side enough so that it doesn't obstruct the audience's view of me (which is not necessarily a good thing), but it's easy to see and reach when and if I need to.

I originally chopped down a mic stand so it was shorter and slapped an IKlip on there and put it right next to my vocal mic stand. Then I got some suggestions here to mount it on my vocal stand and couldn't handle looking down my nose at it. I just recently went back to using the separate stand. I put it on the left last night as per a suggestion here. It's going to take a little bit to get used to but...

• Members

I should have put up a pic of the old setup. The table top stand with 12" laptop, mixer, power supply and sometimes a skirt on it. Much more obscuring going on. I need these tools within easy reach and sight.

It would be interesting to see your previous setup. After reading some of the threads here I've made a few changes to my setup too. I've always set my rack, mixer and laptop on a keyboard stand to my right. At my last gig I set the whole thing in front of me to get better ergonomics. I figured with some wire management it won't look much different than having a keyboard there. Having more visual obstacles between me and the audience was a concern, but I connected with the audience better than I did before. Laptop, mixer and rack are now within easy reach. Also when I read lyrics it's not as obvious. The only photos I have were taken at home.

The other improvement I made was getting my lyrics in itunes instead of using MS word. Now when I pick a song in itunes the lyrics are right there with one mouse click. The lyrics are also displayed larger than they were in Word.

• Members

just another thought...since you have a boom on the stand, move the stand so its not directly in front of you, and use the boom to bring the mic to you...

That's a tough one though. I've tried to move mine like you're suggesting and just couldn't get used to it. I wish I could but years of having it in the same place is difficult to change.

• Members

That's a tough one though. I've tried to move mine like you're suggesting and just couldn't get used to it. I wish I could but years of having it in the same place is difficult to change.

Yup. It just felt weird when standing. Tried it with the keyboard, and, I don't know why, but I hated it. It might have something to do with the fact that I grab the Mic a lot. I would likely move the mixer elsewhere if possible just to clean up the appearance of all the cables. But from a purely functional standpoint, it's a pretty sweet rig.

• Members

I actually use the T1 mixer a lot. I use the tuner on it, mute the acoustic channel when playing electric, add tremolo to the electric on a few songs and adjusting balance on the fly. If I wanted to bring another stand for the mixer I would just go back to the table I had...and probably the laptop too. I still might do that anyway, but want to give this a shot first.

I'll mess with some other ideas today and see what comes up. Lots of good input here, so thanks.

Darrell, I bought a T-bar made for the L1 which holds two LED par cans. The T-bar attaches to the channel on the back of the upper tower.

• Moderators

embrace the change...;)

Take some pics of it both ways, see what it really looks like to your audience....I totally get that it feels strange to set up like that, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Archived