What's your favorite thing about being a solo/duo?

EightString

• Members

John makes some pretty good arguments. Keeping all the money is a big one, plus, it's usually more as a solo than my share of a band gig!

Also, not worrying if the bass player knows what time the gig starts, or if the drummer is going to show up late (again), or if the lead guitarist knows how to get to the venue. Being the band leader is a bit like herding cats.

Finally (and this is a big one), I get to pick the songs.

• Members

There are so many...no worries for schedulling, less ego problems, more money, no loss of hearing since there is no volume wars to be had (love this one!), easy to work in new material, and my personal favorite...I am allowed to use my tablet for lyric reference since I am not jumping around on stage! :) Sorry...just had to put it in there!

Rod

• Members

I'm in a duo, and there are several things I like about it. I do not know which is my favorite, so I will list them.

1) Not having to listen to drummer (no offense intended, just not for me - rattles my head)

2) Having only one other personality/set of issues to deal with

3) Keeping half the money rather than a smaller fraction of it

4) Getting the sounds/playing the music I want to produce

5) Not having to listen to loud (band) music (I know I am a wimp, but I just don't like it loud. I wear earplugs very often when listening to other live performances)

• Members

On the fly go from one song to the something I hadn't even planned to do. Maybe just because of something I saw going down or a thought going through my head.

I've done stand up and it's easy to throw real time banter in the mix.

I spent years and thousands of dollars with bands that were almost ready only to reach that point of d-I-v-o-r-c-e

Equipment division where no one has enough to play.

Egos

Significant others

{censored}, I could spend the day listing reasons

When my son started playing drums at 8, I told him, "always make sure You own all the equipment"

• Members

Freedom to go anywhere I want to go with a song without having to nod anyone into the changes on the fly. Freedom freedom freedom. I still do like playing with a tight band, but sometimes doing the solo thing can be very liberating. Also, there is something that gives me a thrill about knowing that every bit of the energy in the room is dependent on you. Sometimes you feel like you should just roll song to song when you're in front of different people, but it's all worth it for the gigs where everyone is in it together and everyone is having a great time and you know you're playing a vital part in that. It can be very rewarding.

• Members

? These are a few of our favorite things ?

Leilani and I are married, we met each other when we were in different bands. Both bands had personnel problems so we got together first by forming a 5 piece bands. Then more personnel problems so we started the duo.

Now the entire responsibility rests on us. If we work hard (and we do) we can expect to reap the rewards. If we slack off, we pay the penalty.

We are hard workers, and strive to give the entertainment purchaser more than another duo will give them. I make my own backing tracks and refine them until they are better than the average band. We practice our instruments and our vocals, and thankfully are talented (I was first sax in the all-state band every year that I was eligible and am listed in "Who's Who in Entertainment)". We play the crowd with the mindset that we are the entertainment purchaser. In other words, if it is a commercial club, we want the customers to stay longer and buy more products, if it is a private party, we want them to have a great time and thank the host at the end of the night for providing them with a delightful evening.

Of course everything involves trade-offs. With backing tracks we are limited to the tempos and lengths of the tracks we have. Sometimes I make multiple versions of a single song if I think I need to. Plus all the input is ours, there is not a third, fourth, or fifth musician to come up with a musical idea that we haven't thought of.

But for us, it's the way to go.

• Members

All of the above. One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned specifically is ease of re-location. Being able to book gigs far from home or move on a whim are pretty important in this day and age. I could pack up my act and go anywhere and try to start playing gigs immediately.

Archived