Late Pay

nchangin

• Members

Good afternoon,

On Fri Aug 3rd I was approached to DJ an annual street dance. I was out of town that weekend so I had my DJ do the show and was pending that night. Due to weather it was moved inside to the ballroom. No problem. Have to set up after the band. No problem. Bank plays from 7 to 8 and turns out it's a "blue grass orchestra" whatever that is. My rig is expected to be available for a local radio station DJ to do the announcements for a bean bag tournament. First off, they give the band 30 min to tear down when they get done at 8, and they do get it done but then leave their van blocking the door so my DJ couldn't haul in equip. He politely has to ask them twice to move their van and he stated he thinks they did it on purpose? Anyway, he get's set up does the show and goes until 12:30 AM and clears out early due to the weather (bad storms hit about 8).

Before I left that weekend I asked them to mail the check as I don't want my employee to know the $ the show is booked at. I get home no check. Go to pick up the trailer, and after talking to my broker he stated the price this band received and it was like double the price. @#@# Ok we can deal with that and he says ok I'll have them mail you the check, text me your address. I text him the address on Tuesday and hear nothing back. I text him again and hear nothing back this AM. Short of getting nasty on the broker, I guess it's time to put them in collections.

What get's me is he has been brokering me many deals and every place I've done ALWAYS paid with no question. What I'm concerned with that maybe they overbudgeted and now cannot pay me but won't admit it. Any thoughts on how I should proceed in a politically correct manner? I don't want to pay the DJ until I know I get paid.

• Members

Tough. You have to pay your DJ now, regardless of when you get paid. Your DJ did the work he was hired to do. If you don't pay your employees on time, not only will you lose your people, you will (probably) draw a wage payment claim from your state Labor Dept and owe interest and a penalty. That's not even considering the damage to your reputation for not paying your help.

Not the advice you are looking for, but don't jerk your workers around. Mark C.

• Moderators

is it possible the reason the band got paid double was they paid them for the band and the DJ? :idk:

This is why it is always advisable to get a 50% deposit.

Oh, and yeah, you need to pay the DJ, regardless...now...he completed his end of the contract.

Plus, you should advise the broker that the band dicked your guy over about blocking the load in entrance...highly unprofessional.

• Members

Tough.
You have to pay your DJ now, regardless of when you get paid
Your DJ did the work he was hired to do
. If you don't pay your employees on time, not only will you lose your people, you will (probably) draw a wage payment claim from your state Labor Dept and owe interest and a penalty. That's not even considering the damage to your reputation for not paying your help.

Not the advice you are looking for, but don't jerk your workers around. Mark C.

Absolute agreement...the issues you're having to put up with has nothing to do with him.

• Members

Our agent is sometimes slow to send me a check but I always pay the guitar player at the next practice, and he is my bandmate, not my employee but I do the bookings and deal with the agent so I just think it's easier to pay the guitarist and then settle with the venues, agents myself with no added pressure of having to deal with any addtional issues.

Rod

• Members

I always ask for 50% down when dealing with festivals or private parties. It shows they're serious about having you play and it makes it a smaller check for them to come up with the day of the event.

OT: Why do you guys use agents, anyway? I think I'll start a post about it.:thu:

• Members

I'm currently feeling your pain. My duo played a new location about a month ago. They booked me last minute, so could not get me set up in their accounting system in advance (W-9 and all that garbage). Said it would take up to three weeks to get paid. I was cool with that, so was my duo partner. This is NOT some little seedy corner bar, so I'm not worried.

At roughly the two week point, I sent emails inquiring about payment. No response. After the third week, I emailed again and they emailed me back saying the accounting person had been on vacation, but they will get me paid right away. I emailed them back to say thanks, and ask when I can expect payment. No reply.

Just emailed them again, as it has now been over four weeks. No reply as of yet.

I guess I'm going to have to go over there and kick down their door sometime this week.

• Members

Better alternative: Be nice and state you will have to file either Collections agency or Small claims court due to the loss to the business, see what the response is. I will let you know my results as well. Meanwhile I'm in debt X to pay my DJ. Sucks. Next two on the books I'm going to ask for 1/2 down due to this mishap.

• Members

Good news getting paid tonight. Yay. Left him a voicemail stating have to pay DJ, taxes, etc and he is bringing it by tonight and also told him I'm already taking a loss having to pay the DJ out of pocket. Lesson learned with dealing with city committees: not always paid timely.

• Members

I'm glad to hear you did the right thing and paid your employee on a timely basis. Yes, local goverments (and state goverments) are notorious for being slow pays. You'll get your money, but the cash flow sucks. Next time, consider that when making your bid. YMMV. Mark C.

• Members

I find that sometimes the bigger the corporation or entity, the longer it takes to get paid. Basically no one is in charge of anything that's not in their job description. That means when someone gets roped into doing the "fill in the blank" event, no one even knows how to get a cheque generated. I've also found that accountants are often on vacation.

Schools are the worst. I do a little bit of PA installs for schools.... getting paid is like pulling teeth. Matter of fact I've got outstanding June 2012 invoices that I can't collect until September because the secretary forgot, went home early, went on vacation, lost the purchase order, lost the invoice, had a hot date.... Yea I've pretty much heard them all.

Hotels can also be brutal. I did a duo at a hotel years ago where the cheque never seemed to make it down to the bar. Every Monday after a gig, I had to go to the accountants office to pick up the cheque. Got to be on a first name basis with everyone in the office. Again it was "nobody's fault", just an inefficient unwieldy organization.

Okay, rant off.

Archived