Polishing Your Instrument

Sgt. Rock

• Members

I use Dunlop Formula 65.

41jGQezav0L.jpg

I sound like Im cool or something though. I've polished my guitar probably 20 times in my entire life. The fretboard on the other had gets a little bit of Murphy's soap with a toothbrush on it it every time I change my strings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What are you using on you guitar, mine gets the odd Lemon Pledging, but nothing on the fret board.

'Tis a no-no. It contains silicone and that should not be used on an acoustic instrument.

Polydimethylsiloxane is a silicone film former that can also be found in lotions. It creates a protective coating or shine on a surface. This means that the surface has an added level of protection, and also has the shine that helps the surface look its best.

Dimethicone is a silicone film former that can also be found in skin lotions, bath soaps and shampoos. It creates a protective coating or shine on a surface. Sometimes referred to as

• Members

You guys are making me feel guilty. I should be polishing mine as I write this. I only do it when I change strings, too. I do use
actual guitar polish, though.

Some guitar polishes, such as Dunlop 65, do contain silicone.

You guys using polishes with silicone in it should be sure to let your luthier know you're using it on your instruments so they can give you a realistic quote on a repair, refinish & etc.

Since you've already done the deed I would suggest you spray the stuff onto a rag rather than spraying directly onto the instrument.

Really, all you need is a soft cloth (think flannel diaper) with just a bit of dampness for normal cleaning and polishing with maybe a tad of mild dish soap for removing tougher grime.

• Members

Some guitar polishes, such as Dunlop 65, do contain silicone.

You guys using polishes with silicone in it should be sure to let your luthier know you're using it on your instruments so they can give you a realistic quote on a repair, refinish & etc.

Since you've already done the deed I would suggest you spray the stuff onto a rag rather than spraying directly onto the instrument.

Really, all you need is a soft cloth (think flannel diaper) with just a bit of dampness for normal cleaning and polishing with maybe a tad of mild dish soap for removing tougher grime.

thanks for the heads up. My 81 martin D28 should need refinished in another 25 years or so. I don't think a quote would still be good after that long though, and besides, I'll be dead. :idk: I only use polish a couple times a year, and then only sparingly.

Archived