Video- How much is enough/too much

SLScott86

• Members

I've noticed that a lot of you guys have lots of video out there of you playing. In the band, we've been pretty particular about what we put out, one could argue almost to a fault. I am much more casual in my approach, and have no such specific standards to uphold. Without having booked anything yet, is it good to get video out of some kind even before that, or do you wait? Also, what have you found to be most effective? Handheld, fixed camera, a little of both? YouTube style webcam stuff? Have cameras been able to handle the solo sound pretty easily or are better techniques needed. Any reasons not to put a lot out?

This is a lot of questions. Basically, any video-related insights would be great.

• Members

We only have crappy videos (sucks, I know) but what they show is people having fun at our gigs and that is what we try to get across. There are a lot of great people with a lot of knowledge on promo videos on "backstage with the band" area of the forum, maybe ask there as well?

Rod

• Members

I make sure I'm careful with what I have out there. Believe it or not mostly because of this forum and you guys :) I have about 15 "live" videos on a fixed tripod on my youtube site but most of them aren't shared. I'm really particular about vocals and I have a pretty good ear for pitch. Almost to a fault. It's great in the studio but not great for playback of live video or audio.

• Members

We have several on our site, and they are all just recorded with a cell phone. That's because we have not been able to get a prefessional video..... yet.;) The sound quality is not the greatest, but it does ok. People was to SEE a band. Hearing audio clips is fine to a point, but in my experience, we have done better with our regular ol cell phone videos, than not have any video at all.

We have had a lot of fans contact us and say they are alway watching to see if we were going to post any pictures or videos from a particular night.

So to answer your question..... while a limited number of nice professional videos would be nice, my experience has been people aren't as critical of the sound on a cell phone video either. ( provided it isn't total crap ) They just want to see what the band is doing in a live atmosphere.

As alway, this is just my opinion based on my experience. Yours may vary !

• Members

I do a solo performance as well. Same principle. People want to SEE something. Just my opinion based on my experience.

Here is one of just the solo gig that is clearly filmed from a cell phone as somebody sat in the audience. I have booked a lot of gigs just from people seeing this video clip. It has worked for me !

• Members

when you find that song or songs that will get a great response, thats the one you want to post of you performing live. when it shows the crowd going nuts, its a win win situation to post it. people want to see how the crowd reacts to you. if you can capture it on a video, it will help you with your bookings

• Members

I've noticed that a lot of you guys have lots of video out there of you playing. In the band, we've been pretty particular about what we put out, one could argue almost to a fault. I am much more casual in my approach, and have no such specific standards to uphold. Without having booked anything yet, is it good to get video out of some kind even before that, or do you wait? Also, what have you found to be most effective? Handheld, fixed camera, a little of both? YouTube style webcam stuff? Have cameras been able to handle the solo sound pretty easily or are better techniques needed. Any reasons not to put a lot out?

This is a lot of questions. Basically, any video-related insights would be great.

For video with cuts (different camera angles of the same thing) you need either simultaneous multiple cameras or multiple takes of you doing the exact same thing - otherwise it looks amateurish (of course it can still look amateurish with lots of cameras and fancy sound).

For sound you need room mics and clean, noise free audio either A) out of the board or B) form separate mic'ing of instruments and vocals.

If your venues are younger folks some YouTube/phone video might be enough presented casually on a phone - they expect to see that kind of thing. Handheld sound on video is usually pretty crappy and makes things sound muddy so you have to be careful that the audio does you justice.

If its higher end/older folks then a nice, edited DVD video with good sound might be required.

It really depends on what the venue is looking for.

• Members

Many seem to be talking about videos and getting gigs and stuff like that. Dont people just film vids just for people to watch anymore? Im probably not the "norm", but I've NEVER booked a gig based on a random video circulating the web. {censored} I haven't even booked a gig in probably 10 years with a press kit- maybe even longer.

• Members

Many seem to be talking about videos and getting gigs and stuff like that.

Dont people just film vids just for people to watch anymore?

I mainly just lurk here, since I'm considering trying a solo or duo act, but I don't really have the 'bug'

to perform in front of others. (though I haven't really tried it to know for sure)

I was thinking you could put something on video and post it, with a Pay Pal account or the like, and

people could tip, by paying into said account, if they like what they see/hear.

You could call it 'video busking' for lack of a better term.

It would sure beat having to deal with the public directly, and all the other hassles playing out entails.

AND you'd have more control over your 'video' performance. (polish sound, apply video effects, etc)

• Members

I mainly just lurk here, since I'm considering trying a solo or duo act, but I don't really have the 'bug'

to perform in front of others. (though I haven't really tried it to know for sure)

I was thinking you could put something on video and post it, with a Pay Pal account or the like, and

people could tip, by paying into said account, if they like what they see/hear.

You could call it 'video busking' for lack of a better term.

It would sure beat having to deal with the public directly, and all the other hassles playing out entails.

AND you'd have more control over your 'video' performance. (polish sound, apply video effects, etc)

There are sites like StageIt where you can webcast your own concerts/whatever and either sell tickets or ask for donations.

• Members

There are sites like StageIt where you can webcast your own concerts/whatever and either sell tickets or ask for donations.

http://www.stageit.com/

Thanks! That's just what I'm looking for/to do. I'll definitely check it out. (and search for more)

Here's video of a guy playing solo, doing some busking I assume. (on violin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=W4T09DYNke4

['EPIC Electric Violin Street Musician']

I believe Youtube pays dividends, if your video is popular enough.

Archived