How small-time can you get?

pogo97

• Members

So, last Saturday, I played behind a country couple at a "field party." The weather was dismal all day and only about ten people came. There was no electricity, so they set up a generator on the other side of a trailer and ran that. The muffler could have used replacement.

We set up and played a dozen old country songs in the general direction of the bonfire, I started noodling on "Down in the Boondocks" and then somebody's cousin came up and started rapping to it. To my surprise, it worked really well and he set up his computer and rapped to that along with my bandmates while I took a stroll through the hay field, gazed at the starry starry sky, and pondered the oddity of the situation.

And then I realized that the music part of the raps they were doing (I have no idea what sub-genre) was pretty much old-time R&B grooves. So I went back and joined in. They were amazed and delighted (I was the eldest person there by about 30 years) and we had a real nice jam. I also learned that my country couple (who are very musical, very attractive, and very new to performing) also like to rap. Interesting. They swore a lot.

I was paid $20 for gas.

Is this even still a gig?

• Members

Had this same situation at a fishing rodeo about 3 months ago. Raining, no one was there. There was no pay, and they begged us to stay, saying they had a tent. Played underneath a 10X10 tent. Inmates were running the carnival rides. It was surreal.

• Members

Had this same situation at a fishing rodeo about 3 months ago. Raining, no one was there. There was no pay, and they begged us to stay, saying they had a tent. Played underneath a 10X10 tent. Inmates were running the carnival rides. It was surreal.

Speaking of inmates... I played at a medium security prison once a long time ago. Actually bumped into a prisoner that used to come and hear the band, but that wasn't the strangest part. In the outdoor courtyard where we played, the inmates that "ran the prison" were relaxing, listenting to the music and openly smoking large amounts of pot. I guess anything goes if you're powerful enough.

• Members

Last fall I played an outdoor thing in a beer garden. It was paid for by the city for a festival or something. I played from 10am to 2pm in a dense fog. I couldn't even see the other side of the beer garden. Nobody was there except my wife and the bar owners kids. The 5 year old kept requesting songs and by about the 3rd one I realized he couldn't read! He was just bringing up a songlist and pointing at songs. So I asked him 'What song is that?'. He didn't know. It takes a lot to fool me more than four or five times in a row!

• Members

then somebody's cousin came up and started rapping to it. To my surprise, it worked...

And then I realized that the music part of the raps they were doing (I have no idea what sub-genre) was pretty much old-time R&B grooves.

I think that's something people miss who usually aren't familiar with hip hop. Some people can be tasteful and some people have rhymes that really flow.

Plus a lot of the samples and beats they use pay tribute to the classics.

Archived