Stick this in your ear! (IEM)

steve mac

• Members

Some intimate gigs where space is a premium and I end up well behind the speakers, but don't want to make the effort of humping in a monitor nor indeed may there be space for one if I did. I was wondering if anyone uses In Ear Monitors in such circumstances, I coud easily mix in some room ambiance and using the over ears type woud be pretty undetectable. Looking for advice or tips from those that have tried them.

Cheers Steve

• Members

Some intimate gigs where space is a premium and I end up well behind the speakers, but don't want to make the effort of humping in a monitor nor indeed may there be space for one if I did. I was wondering if anyone uses In Ear Monitors in such circumstances, I coud easily mix in some room ambiance and using the over ears type woud be pretty undetectable. Looking for advice or tips from those that have tried them.

Cheers Steve

I've used the wired type.

For me, using just one works best. That way I can hear the room and the bass

• Members

Cheers Steve

I use them all the time. I don't use a monitor anymore. just the IEMs. i use the AT M2s which have an ambient mic input right on the receiver, so i use a lav for the ambient mic and can hear fine. AT make a lav for just such a purpose.

link

• Members

I use them all the time. I don't use a monitor anymore. just the IEMs. i use the AT M2s which have an ambient mic input right on the receiver, so i use a lav for the ambient mic and can hear fine. AT make a lav for just such a purpose.

When my son played electronic drums, he did that and used a butt-kicker on his throne. It gave it a bit more feel

• Members

Never use only one side, use both and add a ambient mic for audience noise/interaction. We hear via both ears, it gives us a spacial sence and a balanced volume level, if you use only one side, you will turn it louder than needed to overcompensate the lack of input on the other side potentially damaging your hearing.

Two ears, two earbuds.

Rod

• Members

actually the ambient mic thing works quite well. you can set the level of the ambient mic to suit your needs and the pre in the M2 can get quite loud. another choice is the use buds that aren't noise canceling, that a have a port in them so ambient sound leaks through. but I like the feel of the isolation style buds better.

• Members

Quality IEMs are expensive. You might consider a different sound system, to accomplish the same result for the same or lower expense and a smaller gear footprint - a Fishman SA-220 or Bose equivalent. Those kinds of systems typically won't require a separate monitor in order for you to hear yourself, when positioned as their mfgs recommend. Of course, they're only suitable for certain environments, and if you're playing very large/noisy/crowded rooms or to large outdoor crowds you'll need a more conventional PA with more output and reach. In this case, though, I read "intimate gigs" to mean in smaller rooms, which is just where the SA-220/Bose excel. You'd eliminate one speaker stand (the SA-220 comes with one stand, to elevate the speaker column, while the Bose units sit on the floor and use no stands but can't be elevated), speaker cables, a separate mixer, mixer stand, IEM bodyback, IEM transmitter, IEM ambient room mic and associated mic stand.

• Members

Cheers Jeff,

But for the foreseeable I am stuck with what I have got. However I was going to simply try out an inexpensive wired over the ear pair into my tc helicon gtx play which has ambient mikes built in just to see if I get on with them before spending a fortune on what may turn out to be a white elephant.

Steve

• Members

I hear you (ha, ha!). One caveat with regard to basic wired units is that some are not equipped with limiter circuits. In other words, they are basically headphone amplifiers which you connect to your mixer. Without a limiter feature, if you inadvertently generate feedback in your system, you may damage your hearing because the device won't cut it off at a safe volume.

Archived