Jump to content

Hey guys, I'm Phil. How's it going?


FoulPhil

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Hi, I'm Phil.

I'm stuck being a solo musician because I can't seem to find reliable musicians to play with. There is always some attitudes, disagreements or just straight flakey SOBs out there. Been playing a long time, but never really got anywhere making music. I figure I just do it for fun and because I love music more than anything else. I play everything from death metal to old classic type stuff, but the most recent stuff I've been doing is very NON-metal lol.

Anyway I figure I would drop a line here and see how many other people are in the same situation as I am. You can check out my music via the links in my signature. Any feed back is welcome. I'm here to chat and meet some interesting new people and maybe possible get some tips and learn something new biggrin.gif

Thanks for reading,
Phil thumb.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
Thanks brother, hows the weather up in Canada this time of year? thumb.gif

Too damned coldddddddd,,,,,, brrrrrrrrrrrr. No snow yet, but overnight temperatures can dip quite low this time of year. mid-to-late December is when the snow really starts to fly, and the "snow-birds" pack up and head down your way for the winter.

On the subject of forming a "band", there are soooo many personal dynamics that often get in the way; family and work responsibilities, geographic location, individual musical tastes, differing levels of commitment, ego's, etc. It's a treat when you get a bunch of folks who are basically on the same page, and enjoy getting together above all else.

Here in south-western Quebec, I'm in a small "city" of roughly 10,000 people. I'd say that roughly 80% of the locals, are french-speaking, with a distinctively french culture, including music. Of the remaining 20%, most of the younger folks move away to get jobs, or an education, and a big proportion of the permanent english-speaking residents are seniors. The result of this is, that the local music-talent pool is pretty shallow.

I've got a few musically-inclined buddies that get together now and then, but their ages vary (20-65), and of course, their musical tastes vary as well. It can be difficult to put together a group, if the individuals involved can't agree on what to play, or what "turns them on" musically speaking.

One of my buddies, who's in several very successful bands, tends to play "modern country and country-rock". It's not his preferred style, but when I asked why he plays it, he responded "because it sells". They get work, and lots of it, but then again, they're in a fairly large city. (Ottawa; pop 900,000). Ottawa has a considerable pool of talent, as well as venues that bring in local talent. In my small town, we have two venues that only occasionally feature "live" acts. It used to be a real hot-bed here, until the drinking-and-driving laws came into effect, and all the local hotels that used to have "house bands" shut down permanently. Too bad really, because this area was musically very active when I was growing up here.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

It sounds real cool up there Bobby, other than the music scene going down hill. It's hot as hell where I'm at. I'm about 30 minutes away from the border of Mexico, but I was actually born and raised in a beautiful city 4 hours north called San Antonio, TX. Where I'm at the heat and humidity can be almost unbearable. Sometimes it's hard to breathe, like as if it was low on oxygen due to the heat lol. You get use to it I supposed. There are a ton of musicians in Texas, all over the place, who play just about every kind of music. I also have some buddies I jam with occasionally, but as of now I'm not really jamming much with anyone. I end up more on the porch having a few beers and doing acoustic jams with friends. Don't really work on music, just screwing around type stuff.

It would be nice to have some good funding and some REAL pro equipment. Then I might actually try to get a band together lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post

It would be nice to have some good funding and some REAL pro equipment. Then I might actually try to get a band together lol.
Phil, in the last 5 years, I've invested something like $40k. in P/A and recording equipment, and I still can't get my buddies committed to any serious degree. Oh, for a while they were very enthused, especially since none of them had ever played over a P/A, complete with lighting, but that's really fading quickly now.

What I've learned with my local experience, is that you can't really count on anyone but yourself. I don't say that begrudgingly, but rather, I ask myself how I can expand my musical interest, and get others more involved. As I get older, I also realize that I'm just not in touch with "todays' music". I also see a possibility of taking on a "support role", whereby I'd work with young musicians who don't have the resources to put together a band. I have the equipment, the know-how, the location, and the level of commitment to make it happen. Time will tell where that goes.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Yeah, but for even recording purposes you could do your thang and just have random musicians come by to do what they do. And when you play live have random musicians play with you, as long as they are good enough to play your songs. You don't have to limit it to just the guys you know. I've never been in touch with today's music, not even yesterday's lol. The gear is something that holds me back, I don't need other people to use the gear for me LOL, maybe just a good drummer here and there biggrin.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
Yeah, but for even recording purposes you could do your thang and just have random musicians come by to do what they do. And when you play live have random musicians play with you, as long as they are good enough to play your songs. You don't have to limit it to just the guys you know. I've never been in touch with today's music, not even yesterday's lol. The gear is something that holds me back, I don't need other people to use the gear for me LOL, maybe just a good drummer here and there biggrin.gif
The key is "networking". Getting to know the musicians in your area, and seeing if your musical tastes gel.

I also think that if you're going to put a successful band together, that the band needs a leader,,,, someone to focus the bands' direction. If you just get a bunch of guys together,,, you've got a jam. Those are fun, but there's a room-full of individuals, rather than a focused "group". You need to lay out a direction, focus, discipline, and commitment,,,, and that rarely happens when it's a free-for-all.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I've become the "flake" -finally have found some people. Interesting bunch from jazz thru blooz and even some rock/classic pop choices... Stuff that challenges me in directions I might not choose on my own... But, the scene is pretty much there. It's just quite a commute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

Quote Originally Posted by dimperdoo

View Post

I've become the "flake" -finally have found some people. Interesting bunch from jazz thru blooz and even some rock/classic pop choices... Stuff that challenges me in directions I might not choose on my own... But, the scene is pretty much there. It's just quite a commute.

 

Very few people make a living doing music. So, if you don't love it don't do it :p
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by FoulPhil View Post
Very few people make a living doing music. So, if you don't love it don't do it :p
I disagree and I don't understand why people say that. I don't love it right now after 180 gigs this year. I've played entirely too much and quite frankly I'm burned out. But why would I choose a profession that I like less?

I'm not ragging on you because people say that all the time. But why would someone that makes a living playing music stop playing and get a day job because they don't enjoy gigging at the moment?

Even on my worst day I still play guitar for a living...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by jamminjohn View Post
Hey FF, B1N, Potts and all,

Hope all are well. I've got some serious gas to play, also. Many are phlakes.

Just got my ad in on CL today(we'll see where that goes)
.
Good luckwith that J.J.,

Life goes in cycles. If you look hard enough, and want it bad enough, it WILL happen. Get in with a good bunch of folks, and enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
I disagree and I don't understand why people say that. I don't love it right now after 180 gigs this year. I've played entirely too much and quite frankly I'm burned out. But why would I choose a profession that I like less?

I'm not ragging on you because people say that all the time. But why would someone that makes a living playing music stop playing and get a day job because they don't enjoy gigging at the moment?

Even on my worst day I still play guitar for a living...
A lot of people say that, because A lot of people don't make much money at all. Most people aren't making a living doing it, maybe supplemental income at best. If you're fortunate enough to actually make a living doing music then there is no way in hell you would want to do something else. Why would you want to go from rocking the stage to rocking the dishes or shovel? LOL
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

My music career has been an ebb and flow. I've had periods where I made enough playing, others where a 2nd job was needed. I'm not playing much currently but I still love to play. The solo act has become a little boring after 25 years and I'm lacking motivation to go out and find work. The fact that the bar scene has become one nighters is a downer. Plus karaoke has taken a big part of the market in this area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

I wouldn't say I had ever had a career in music Lol. I always just did music because it calls to me, but never really went anywhere with it. Played a few shows here and there. It's always been the flakely musicians I've worked with who would fight amongst themselves and I would just let them do what they are going to to and eventually stop working with those people once enough was enough. And I wouldn't discount Craigslist. I think it's a very effective tool for selling stuff and meeting people in your area, but I wouldn't rely on it alone. I would go to the music stores and put a small flyer on the cork board where everyone tacks up their flyers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...