heavy workload this weekend

J.Paul

• Members

This coming Friday I've got a 5-7 happy hour then I've got a 9-1 club gig (10 miles away) both of them acoustic solo and neither of them mellow. That's 6 hours of (non-mellow) singing ! What the hell is wrong with me?

• Members

I once did three outdoor gigs in one day, in serious summer heat. First one started at 10:30am, the last one ended at 11:00pm. 

By the end, I seriously thought I needed to go to the hospital for an IV. I don't know that I've ever felt that bad before.

• Members

Make sure you pace yourself!

My personal tale of too much. Last week, I had a four hour Friday rehearsal for a smooth jazz gig; the toughest material I have done in over twenty years. The week prior to the rehearsal I was rewriting the somewhat elongated charts for that gig - many hours spent on my computer. Then I had a three hour gig on Saturday afternoon with my eight piece R&B band. That gig ended at 7:30 and then I had to "fly" downtown to make the smooth jazz gig that was supposed to start at 8:00 pm. The next day I had a rehearsal at 1:00 pm for a corporate gig. The following day I had a night rehearsal.

My point? Just at the end of the Monday night rehearsal I was having problems using my baby finger to make chords.... I was showing the keyboard player the D/E / E/A / C/D / D/G Pretzel Logic bridge and I could barely do it because of how much I had to extend (yes there are plenty of other ways to do it - if you want to actually play the root but...). The following day I was experiencing real pain. I rested for four days and only did one gig this week on Friday. Things seem to be better now, but I'm going to pace myself in future. And maybe hand write my charts when I can.

So I say again, be good to yourself and try not too push too hard.

• Members

Good for you J.Paul. The craziness is starting for me too. I've got a handful of double headers on the books for summer already.

I did 185 solo gigs last year. I routinely did 8 or 9 gigs in 10 or 11 days during the summer but by December I was completely drained. I ended up only doing 12 between Jan/Feb this year. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I will pretty much retire from gigging when I'm done with school. I'm really really really burned out. Unfortunatly I won't be done for a couple of more years. I decided to pursue my Masters degree when I get my Bachelors next December.

Archived