"Newer" acoustic music....

msmooth

• Members

I am the first one to admit that I am not familiar with any newer music. Recently at an event between bands they were playing some acoustic based stuff from Mumford & Sons and the Avett Bros. (and the like) and I think some of it would fit in well with what my duo is doing now. My problem is that I have to buy it and learn it and I'm not sure what goes over well.

I would appreciate any advice as to which songs in this vein are popular or work well for you guys. Please feel free to mention any other artists that I should also consider.

• Members

Little Lion Man and The Cave by Mumford and Sons are the two that people respond to well. They haven't been homeruns.

Avett Brothers have been filler. Filler that I am attached to and play like it's not filler. Live and Die was the first and only song of theirs to see radio play in my area.

The tough thing is these bands have tons of strong songs, but besides Mumford to a degree, people don't know them. A LOT of people bought those Mumford albums though, so I've done Babel and The White Blank Page too, because I can sell them better than the singles and there are usually people who do know the tunes. It will depend on the crowd. On a college campus I would think Avett Brothers would go over awesome.

• Members

Maybe some do a little, but It still kills. A couple people have yelled it, where appropriate, and it's a perfect crowd participation opportunity, especially in a band. But I think the chorus is what makes the song.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Maybe some do a little, but It still kills. A couple people have yelled it, where appropriate, and it's a perfect crowd participation opportunity, especially in a band. But I think the chorus is what makes the song.

Great! I've been thinking about adding it.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions. I bought Ho Hey from iTunes and my daughter has the Mumford & Sons songs. I do need to check out the Avett Brothers stuff. What I've heard I did like, so I'll probably purchase at least one of their albums.

• Members

we do an acoustic version of firework by katy perry which people like.

also payphone by maroon 5... except for that disgusting rap bit where the guy whinges on about how much money he has made and how nobody ever believed in him...  really embarassing lyrics there i couldnt possibly "do them justice"  :manfrustrated:

to be honest some of the tunes out there at the moment,  ok they are moronically simplistic chordwise,  but theyre nice melodies..

im yours by jason mraz and hey soul sister. by train too...  bit older but still modern in my book.. !   

• Members

Agreed, Doezer. The songs are all synth and pop hooks, so it's not like you're going to learn them faithfully. I've gotten good response from a few of those pop tunes, and I'm planning to continue chewing them up and spitting them out to stay current. Just learned T Swift's Trouble.

Archived