Most vocally challenging song you do?

daddymack

• Moderators

In another thread Bob Dey wrote: "I think most of us solo act guys play in bars and mostly do songs that aren't that challenging vocally. I've got a few songs that I belt out more during the last verse, but most of my material isn't geared toward fanfare type singing. It's more about making sure the voice doesn't go out for solo acts that have to sing every song each night ."

Which got me to thinking about the degree of difficulty og the vocal aspects of my repertoire. At the moment two songs stand out for me as difficult, and both are the ones I am using to 're-train' my voice away from my bluesy/smokey/growl thang. They are 'Beyond the Sea' and 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes'. I know these are not part of many soloist's repertoire, and may not be in my actual performances as a rule, but once I have these mastered, they will be.

• Members

There aren't that many that come to mind...

I'd say I do a pretty solid version of  Pearl Jam's "Elderly Woman...". The intense part in the middle/end are fairly demanding. I do it a 1/2 step up too so that adds a little bit.  Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" requires an insane amount of vocal control that I'm fond of. The Beatles "Let it Be" and "Jude" also require a bit of control that I have to be certain I'm paying attention.

• Members

Probably Hook. Generally speaking of something stands out as demanding, that's when I need to think about changing the key. Elderly Woman is a good example of one that uses just about the entirety of my range. I haven't played it in years- not sure why.

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Elderly Woman is a good example of one that uses just about the entirety of my range. I haven't played it in years- not sure why.

Put it back in...I get requests for it probably every other gig and it people still love it.

• Members

Wicked Game by Chris Isaak has been a tough one for me. After years of doing it I finally found that jumping from natural to falsetto works and sounds much better on the chorus. I just started doing "One hundred ways" and I'm no James Ingram. Ballads like that are much more challenging than Jimmy Buffet or Willie Nelson lol. 

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

Only one that I have not had the nerve to pull out. "In your eyes".. I can't do it the way I want. Been working it for way too long now.

I do the Jeffrey Gaines version...

Archived