Guitar amp for your gigs- What do you bring?

stunningbabe

• Members

I am curious as to what guitar amps you folks use?

:wave:

It is amazing that so many of us here play different styles of music...with various gears and guitars and other instruments. How I wish we can all gather in one country and meet each person. That'd be awesome!

Ok .....since that is most likely never gonna happen...:facepalm:..at least We can find out more about the kind of gears you use.

• Members

I usually go direct now that I'm not using backing track any more, but I sometimes use a vox ac4 head and cab.

I play a gretsch Chet Atkins hollow body, and a martin D28 through a aural spectrum DI. I can also patch the 6120 through a vox tone lab LE, but, it sounds sooooooo good through the fishman I usually don't even take the tone lab anymore.

• Members

I have a lot of amps but lately I've been plugging my Chapman Stick into a Roland AC-60.

I like it because it's small, nice effects and has enough power for most of my gigs. When there's a house PA I go XLR out into the PA.

For the louder gigs I use an Acoustic Image Coda II.

• Members

I am an odd ball regarding amps. I want an entirely uncolored tone...which I may alter with pedals and tubes, but I want to be able to turn all that off. So, I use a Hartke 2500 and Hartke 2x10 or 4x10. Yes a bass amp. Sounds similar to an acoustic amp really. For guitar, acoustic guitar, accordion or banjo. With those speakers, it is quite bright. Even with mellow dual humbuckers, I cut more highs than lows on the graphic EQ. Massive clean headroom, 250watts (180ish with impedance in the 2x10.) which isnt a ton for bass, but translates to more effective wattage for these low mid to high freq instruments. I dont need a tube amp anymore. I dont do distortion. Over it.

• Members
I am curious as to what guitar amps you folks use?

:wave:

It is amazing that so many of us here play different styles of music...with various gears and guitars and other instruments. How I wish we can all gather in one country and meet each person. That'd be awesome!

Ok .....since that is most likely never gonna happen...
:facepalm:
..at least We can find out more about the kind of gears you use.

are you talking solo or band gigs?

• Members

For Gwen's stuff I'm using a Rivera Chubster

for other stuff I have a Mesa Boogie F50 or a Marshall 25/50

they both cover alot of ground except for Class A territory (which I am lacking).

For direct stuff I use a Roland GP100 but I might replace it with the Tech21 Blondie when I get home (gotta A/B them)

Acoustic stuff is usually direct with a Fishman Aura Spectrum for a DI

• Members

For acoustic gigs, I prefer to plug directly into the PA, va a PADI, but if I have to use an untested drummer to sub, I plug my acoustics, via the PADI's high-Z out, into my Trace Elliot Commando 12 , which is actually a bass amp, as a guitar monitor, (in case the drummer can't comprehend dynamics! :(), and then run my guitar into the PA, via the PADI's low-Z out, for the audience.

For electric gigs. I use a Red Line Peavey Envoy 110, mic'd into the PA via a Shure SM57...sweet tone and easy to travel with.

1eaa9392-bd69-47cd-b612-097645c31a76

ea53dcca-add2-457d-aec9-eab09f0d1d22

• Members

I used to bring a small China made guitar amp that did the job decently enough until the day it was broken.

Since then I have been amp-less...and used a sans amp GT2 pedal plugged directly into the Mixer. I was surprised it sounded nice too....and wonder if I need to buy a guitar amp?

• Members

I used to bring a small China made guitar amp that did the job decently enough until the day it was broken.

Since then I have been amp-less...and used a sans amp GT2 pedal plugged directly into the Mixer. I was surprised it sounded nice too....and wonder if I need to buy a guitar amp?

Well, if that method works for your needs, and you like how it sounds, why not? As long as you can hear yourself over the rest of the band (particularily the drummer and any other guitarist(s)), and you sound the way you want to sound to the audience, you're golden! :)

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I know a few guitarists who said they cant play without a guitar amp on stage. I think it boils down to what works and what doesnt for you.

I can play without a guitar amp..you may not. However....there has to be a sgood Monitor speaker on stage for me to hear clearly.

• Members

When I played with a band the last amp I used was a Roland JC-90. Now that i am doing the duo, I play my guitar or bass through my Carvin mixer. I run the guitar and bass into different channels since they need different EQ settings.

Archived