A little "GEM",,,,,, compact guitar-stand (acoustic or electric.

Bobby1Note

• Members

Well, It's not often that I get excited about something as mundane as a guitar-stand. I've got a bunch of stands, mostly by Hercules, and they range from a 5-guitar rack-stand, to triple,double, and single-guitar hanging-stands,,, to those little folding A-frame type stands. They're all great stands, but I've finally found one that is an absolute knock-out;,,,,, the K&M 17550 "Memphis Travel" stand. This is the best compact travel-stand that I've ever come across, by a country mile. It's sturdy,,,,VERY light-weight,,,, folds down to almost nothing,,,all aluminum construction,,, and knowing K&M as I do (most of my mic stands are K&M's), it'll probably last forever.,.   If you're looking for a compact stand to bring for those ultra-light load-in gigs, this is the one to get. It'll handle electric or acoustic guitars, and it costs roughly $24. You've got to get your hands on one, to appreciate the design. Picture, just don't do it justice. Superb !!! Weighs less than 1 lb. (400 grams)

Check out this video,,,

• Members

Looks interesting if you're into guitar stands, although it also looks a little light.

I quit using guitar stands about fifteen years ago. I had too many guitars knocked off of them.  I just lean my guitar against my amp these days. If I'm only using one guitar, I'll usually lean it from the rear of the cab to help keep drunken little fingers away. If I'm using two,guitars then one leans from the rear and one from the front.  I've had less accidents using that method, then with guitar stands, but everyone's mileage will vary.

Just in case, I usually carry a small piece of foam and some gaff tape for slippery stages.

And if it's a really rough or challenging gig, then the guitar goes back in the case. I don't even use guitar stands  at home anymore for the same reasons. I've got some nice  quick-lok stands, that just take up space in my gear room. Maybe everyone I know is just clumsy - including me!

• Members

I like using stands, especially when playing outdoors on bare ground. The stands keep the guitars off the wet/damp grass when the dew falls.

Another place I use a lot of stands, is at home for band-practices and jams. We had six guitar and bass players at our last jam, so I just hand out whatever stand they need, set up next to their mic-stand. Nobody has ever shown up with their own guitar-stand. Some of the guys (myself included), will often need at least a 2-guitar neck-hanging type stand, when switching from electric to acoustic guitars. For most of the guys, a single A-frame stand is fine.

The little K&M 17550 I listed above, is so light and compact, it stows easily in a gig-bag, or in a pocket of my AER combo-amp's shoulder-bag, and weighs next to nothing. I probably wouldn't use it for a top-heavy bass, but  It's plenty sturdy for a steel-string or classical guitar.

• Members

Shaster wrote:

Looks interesting if you're into guitar stands, although it also looks a little light.

I quit using guitar stands about fifteen years ago. I had too many guitars knocked off of them.  I just lean my guitar against my amp these days. 

LOL.. Really? I'm just giving you some friendly chiding but that sounds incredibley strange! You'd rather lean your guitar up against something than use a stand? I cringe and get nervous when I see a guitar leaning against something on a stage. You'll never see a guitar fall off of a Hercules stand.

stand

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Shaster wrote:

I quit using guitar stands about fifteen years ago. I had too many guitars knocked off of them.  I just lean my guitar against my amp these days. If I'm only using one guitar, I'll usually lean it from the rear of the cab to help keep drunken little fingers away. If I'm using two,guitars then one leans from the rear and one from the front.  I've had less accidents using that method, then with guitar stands, but everyone's mileage will vary.

Just in case, I usually carry a small piece of foam and some gaff tape for slippery stages.

And if it's a really rough or challenging gig, then the guitar goes back in the case. I don't even use guitar stands  at home anymore for the same reasons. I've got some nice  quick-lok stands, that just take up space in my gear room. Maybe everyone I know is just clumsy - including me!

I also haven't used stands for years. I find a more secure place to lean my axe on or lay it down on the case during breaks. Leaning against an amp there's the chance that the guitar will go down on either side. I set mine so there's no chance of it falling. A tripod speaker stand can provide a nice nook.

Archived