Piano-based?

HarpNinjaMike

• Members

Looong story short, I have a friend who is an excellent piano player.  We are going to get together to jam - I sing and play harmonica - on some popular covers.

Anyone on the board here doing a keys-based show?  How does it go over with the audience?  I think he is a bit uncertain about the marketability of being piano-oriented and not including guitar, but he's a monster player and I think with our chemistry, it would be really engaging.  Thanks!

• Members

I think the average audience cares about singing a lot more than any particular instrument. Yes, guitar is the typical small group instrument. However, a good keys player shouldn't have any problem engaging an audience as long as the material is stuff they like. Add in some decent vocals and I see no reason why it wouldn't be successful.

As I think about it more, I doubt the average audience would care even the slightest little bit that keyboards were the main instrument instead of guitar. It's about the music, the vocals, the presentation, etc.

• Members

I play both guitar and piano. I'm moving toward just piano because a) I'm better at it and b) it's less usual. On the other hand, you sit at piano, which is an image problem and makes singing a wee bit harder and many stages are small for a piano. Finally, you can't possibly haul around a real piano and most digital pianos sound pretty sucky compared to the real thing.

By the way, thanks for calling it a "piano." Current usage seems to be to call it "keys," which implies that the player covers organ, synth, and all those ersatz rompler sounds. A real piano player plays piano. Except for the keyboard layout, a piano has much more in common with acoustic guitar than with an organ.

• Members

I'm in a duo with me on guitar and bass and Mark on keys (he plays more than just piano). We are able to mix it up, but are doing some Elton John and Billy Joel along with America, CSN, Jimmy Buffett and Eagles (plus many more...)

I like a good piano tune. WIth CSN we do "Southern Cross" and "Teach Your Children", but we are also learning "Our House". America's "Daisy Jane" is a piano based song. It allows us to play some different stuff than the average solo/duo who anly have guitar. It also allows me to play more bass.

Go for it and enjoy.

• Members

Piano only is limited to piano bars, Dueling piano bars & cocktail music. Synthesizers are much more versatile. Yes, a lot of them don't quite pass for a true acoustic piano sound, but some come damn close enough and also have nice elec. piano, organ and other usable patches found in modern music.

Guitarists have more visual appeal as you can easily watch them play. Keyboardists are often setup so the audience can't see what they're doing very well. A sideways setup helps in this regard. 

A good keyboard player with good equipment is a valuable asset to most bands IMO. There are keys based solos and duos that have found their niche. 

• Members

mchalebk wrote:

I think the average audience cares about singing a lot more than any particular instrument.

Yes, guitar is the typical small group instrument. However, a good keys player shouldn't have any problem engaging an audience as long as the material is stuff they like. Add in some decent vocals and I see no reason why it wouldn't be successful.

As I think about it more, I doubt the average audience would care even the slightest little bit that keyboards were the main instrument instead of guitar

. It's about the music, the vocals, the presentation, etc.

I agree with everything in this post! 

And as far as electric pianos go I don't agree at all that many/most sound yucky. That's just sill Pogo.  ;)

• Members

Same here. There's a piano player up here who does awesome with piano and tracks. It's a very " band" atmosphere and he's a solo guy. The math should say he gets paid well and can get all the work he wants, though I can't speak to that.

• Members

pogo97 wrote:

I play both guitar and piano. I'm moving toward just piano because a) I'm better at it and b) it's less usual. On the other hand, you sit at piano, which is an image problem and makes singing a wee bit harder and many stages are small for a piano. Finally, you can't possibly haul around a real piano and most digital pianos sound pretty sucky compared to the real thing.

By the way, thanks for calling it a "piano." Current usage seems to be to call it "keys," which implies that the player covers organ, synth, and all those ersatz rompler sounds. A real piano player plays piano. Except for the keyboard layout, a piano has much more in common with acoustic guitar than with an organ.

Me too. I wsa doing the midi backing tracks thing but have since retired them. I do about 3/4 piano and the rest guitar but I can do 3 hour set of either. I looking to get a stage piano -- currently using an M3 module with 88 key controller.   

what would really be great at this point for me is to get a piano bar gig, where the piano and PA is there, and its walk in, sit down, play, walk out.  

Archived