Getting people to applaud?

Bob Dey

• Members

Anyone have things you say on the mic to draw applause? An agent once told me to get people to clap their hands, but you can't just say "give it up for me everybody"!

I always like getting applause for a really good performance, but should we also try to get applause other ways? 

Concert acts ask the audience questions like "Are you ready to party!" which gets people clapping and yelling. What similar tricks can be used in a bar/restaurant situation where people aren't so ready to party?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Great topic...My "go to" if I get dead silence is, "Yeah I don't like that one either." That ALWAYS works. The one I use when I sing my heart out and drop a solid performance is, "That's about it- You're not going to get any more out of me than that."

I normally NEVER ask the crowd questions because I feel like if they don't answer I look like more of a schmuck than I already am!  ;)

• Members

Dead crowds are no fun. At this point, with no kids or anything, my wife doesn't miss a gig, and she applauds every single time, and then other polite claps normally follow.

Like Notes said, normally afterwards people will then say how good I sounded. Even if they don't appear to be paying attention, if they aren't leaving, they're there buying drinks and you're doing your job well. But man can that be hard to remember when people just aren't visibly into it.

• Members

I had this scenario at last Friday's gig. A place I regularly play and with a normally enthusiastic response. But this was July 5 and not a lot of people out - down the shore, etc.

As the night went on I began to lose confidence and became too self-aware, wondering if I was bombing. The silence between the songs was starting to feel like an eternity, even though there was still some scattered clapping. There were only about 20 people in the place. It was starting to feel like work!

I started working my set list and made sure there were some known crowd pleasers in there as well as stuff I really got into, and this helped. Just wasn't a party crowd that night. I let the silence be silent and as short as humanly possible and resigned to being the jukebox. Not the most fun, but it was my job that night.

Nearly every patron stopped by me on their way out and had great things to say (while I was playing and singing, mind you). One woman even grabbed my left arm as I'm playing the guitar and said how much she enjoyed my voice! I had to come off the mic for a few seconds and missed some lyrics, but nobody cared, even me.

End of the night, one very drunk guy left at the bar, sitting with the owner, requests SRV.I didn't want to do it since I'm no SRV (not even close) so i said "okay, blues it is" and launched into one of my uptempo originals which he seemed to enjoy. By this time I had found my swinging version of Pride and Joy and managed to put a lot of energy into it, confident he was not going to notice my less than stellar skills at covering that style. Finished with another original just in time for the owner to show the guy out.

I almost apologized to the owner as he paid me for it being an off night, but he knew the deal and said I had done a great job, so at least he was happy. Even offered me two key bookings in addition to my twice monthly's. Thanksgiving eve, which is a HUGE party night around here, and a Christmas open house!

Sorry for the long post. Just adding to the "you never know" adage about whether folks are listening or not.

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

Anyone have things you say on the mic to draw applause? An agent once told me to get people to clap their hands, but you can't just say "give it up for me everybody"!

I always like getting applause for a really good performance, but should we also try to get applause other ways? 

Concert acts ask the audience questions like "Are you ready to party!" which gets people clapping and yelling. What similar tricks can be used in a bar/restaurant situation where people aren't so ready to party?

and age old trick is for the venue to seed the clapping with staff to get the room livened up to the idea of clapping.  Its kinda like seeding a tip jar with two ones ,a couple fives and a ten.  

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

and age old trick is for the venue to seed the clapping with staff to get the room livened up to the idea of clapping.  Its kinda like seeding a tip jar with two ones ,a couple fives and a ten.  

Or seed it yourself with a few family and friends. And don't assume they know how important it is to you for them to help get the crowd going - explain it to them. Most will appreciate being asked to help make the show a success smile.gif . Nothing worse than it being obvious that the folks you brought are chatting and ignoring you entirely freak.gif .

• Members

I don't really take it personally. The place I'm playing now the first few sets they have me so low in volume that I'm background music at best so when there is some polite applause I thank them but when there isn't I just do my thing. There IS a threshold that when you're volume is TOO low people will tune you out...Anyway, All I have to do to get them to applause or engage is sing a creedance song, Hotel California or Sweet Home Alabama! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been playing for35yrs and remember a more polite time when people always applauded a well delivered song. I think the 20 30 sometings were never taught how /when to applaud. They get most entertainment deliverd via PC or live DJ,. Niether teaches proper audience protocol. & now not only don't they applud much their faces are buried in the iPhones sheeesh why come at all.:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I always applaud at the end of a movie- my wife ribs on me for it. I love false endings and IMO so do listeners. It's a pause to show something bigger is about to happen. I do a HUGE one prior to the mellow part at the en of Chicken Fried.

• Members

I have always said that I would rather get booed off stage than get nothing. I normally start with the introduction by explaining that.... Hey guys, its the weekend, this is your night and I'm just the man in the corner making a noise. So leave your trouble at the door, grab a drink, sing along and have a dance if you want to. Then I simply watch the crowd. if I see someone tapping a hand or foot to the music, I home in on them with a smile or a wink and then thank them for joining in until the whole table is doing it. then the next table and the next until the whole place is waving hands, up dancing or applauding. Crowd phsychology is a great thing to learn. Being a performer is like being a salesman, if people like you they will buy from you. I also believe that humility plays a major part in being succesful. I have no problem making a fool of myself, I never cover it up if I forget the odd line once in a while so once people see that you are just a normal guy (or girl) trying to make their night that little bit better, you will get them on side.

• Members

remarkable1967 wrote:

I have always said that I would rather get booed off stage than get nothing. I normally start with the introduction by explaining that.... Hey guys, its the weekend, this is your night and I'm just the man in the corner making a noise. So leave your trouble at the door, grab a drink, sing along and have a dance if you want to. Then I simply watch the crowd. if I see someone tapping a hand or foot to the music, I home in on them with a smile or a wink and then thank them for joining in until the whole table is doing it. then the next table and the next until the whole place is waving hands, up dancing or applauding. Crowd phsychology is a great thing to learn. Being a performer is like being a salesman, if people like you they will buy from you. I also believe that humility plays a major part in being succesful. I have no problem making a fool of myself, I never cover it up if I forget the odd line once in a while so once people see that you are just a normal guy (or girl) trying to make their night that little bit better, you will get them on side.

All good stuff but I'd imagine if you pour it on like that all the time you're probably annoying. Some people just want to tap their foot while hanging with friends and don't want the guy in the corner all up in their night. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just watched my friend play a restaurant/bar. A sports bar type, think hooters but not a chain. Ouch! I clapped, but I was basically the only one. I watched him play an hour and it was hard to be there thinking about playing that place. I have been asked to play there a few times and I can't even fathom doing it. Totally dead in that place.

• Moderators

Sick boy78 wrote:

Just watched my friend play a restaurant/bar. A sports bar type, think hooters but not a chain. Ouch! I clapped, but I was basically the only one. I watched him play an hour and it was hard to be there thinking about playing that place. I have been asked to play there a few times and I can't even fathom doing it. Totally dead in that place.

if it is like a Hooters, then at least the indoor scenery would ameliorate some of the angst of being ignored...I'm jus'sayin'...;)

• Members

Sick boy78 wrote:

Take the money and run...

Archived