Gig cancelled--terrible news

Christhee68

• Members

I had a gig playing at a beach wedding yesterday, but it got cancelled.

The wedding planner called me and said she had been trying to get in touch with the bride to finalize all the plans, but she could never get in touch with her.

The wedding planner was finally able to get in touch with the mother of the bride, who said the bride is in the hospital, having been nearly beaten to death by the groom.

I don't really know what to say, other than that really is awful.

• Members

The only good thing is that he didn't succeed in his mission. That, and they hopefully don't have any kids for him to abuse. I say toss him in a cell and forget to take his belt away - maybe he would do us a favour, and do the right thing.

I just had a wedding cancelled August 31 because the wedding planner screwed up. I thought I was hard done by until I heard this story. Perspective is everything.

• Moderators

Christhee68 wrote:

I had a gig playing at a beach wedding yesterday, but it got cancelled.

The wedding planner called me and said she had been trying to get in touch with the bride to finalize all the plans, but she could never get in touch with her.

The wedding planner was finally able to get in touch with the mother of the bride, who said the bride is in the hospital, having been nearly beaten to death by the groom.

I don't really know what to say, other than that really is awful.

Send her a get well card!

Reminds me of something from a long time back, we were going to play an anniversary party...the husband comitted suicide that morning...what can you say? I sent a condolence card, and was offered to play the wake...but we turned it down...

• Members

I'm actually supplying background music and a speaker's mic for a suicide awareness / candle lighting next Tuesday night. Probably just throw on some Native American flute music but now that I think about it maybe I'll hit up the classical guitarist I play jazz with sometimes.

• Members

Well, that is awful. Better it happen before the wedding than after, though. Still, one wonders if the bride to be never saw any inkling of such a temperament in the man she was to marry. Such things usually pack plenty of warnings that are hard to miss. I wish more people would do pre-marital counseling. It is no guarantee of a successful marriage, but it can help identify problem areas in a relationship before they develop. I hope she recovers, and I really hope she doesn't get back with him to "patch things up." I have seen that many times in my life and it is sad and frustrating to watch. 

• Members

My reaction was the same as daddymack's - send a Get Well Card.

We had a party cancelled recently. The guy had a heart attack.

It has been rescheduled for later in the year.

It happens.

But that is just awful.

Hope she recovers well......and soon.

• Members

Have you confirmed this with another source? Don't mean to sound cynical but it my wedding contracts state that the balance is owed if the client cancels. But with a story like this I'd feel like a jerk demanding payment. I would look into it to make sure this is what really happened.

• Members

Bob Dey wrote:

Have you confirmed this with another source? Don't mean to sound cynical but it my wedding contracts state that the balance is owed if the client cancels. But with a story like this I'd feel like a jerk demanding payment. I would look into it to make sure this is what really happened.

Should I ask for hospital bills or a police report? Both? X-Rays?

I work for the wedding planner. She's the one who pays me. If she says the wedding is cancelled, then it's cancelled.

Archived