House Parties

Boosha

• Members

I live in Australia, and the sport that is huge here, particularly this time of year, is Aussie Rules Football (aka. Footy).  It's the Grand Final in 9 days time (this is a big deal), and I had a call about playing a house party in the small town I live in.  I have a fair idea what this will be like, particularly since I know the person whose house I'll be playing at.  Drunken, loud & messy. 

Does anyone have any interesting stories about house parties?  Last year I played solo at a Hen's Party in a nearby city.  It was surprisingly tame (there was a notable lack of male appendage straws at the party, but the chocolates were everywhere!), until the cops arrived to shut us down because we were too loud.  We were out on the deck, and I was playing rather loud.  The funniest part was the bride-to-be's husband is also a policeman, and thought they were in on it, so she became extraordinarily flirty with the cops who rocked up to shut down her party.  It was hilarious.  I was happy to pack up at that stage.

Have you played a house party that might have got a bit out of hand?

Luke

• Members

Boosha wrote:

I live in Australia, and the sport that is huge here, particularly this time of year, is Aussie Rules Football (aka. Footy).  It's the Grand Final in 9 days time (this is a big deal), and I had a call about playing a house party in the small town I live in.  I have a fair idea what this will be like, particularly since I know the person whose house I'll be playing at.  Drunken, loud & messy. 

Does anyone have any interesting stories about house parties?  Last year I played solo at a Hen's Party in a nearby city.  It was surprisingly tame (there was a notable lack of male appendage straws at the party, but the chocolates were everywhere!), until the cops arrived to shut us down because we were too loud.  We were out on the deck, and I
was
playing rather loud.  The funniest part was the bride-to-be's husband is also a policeman, and thought they were in on it, so she became extraordinarily flirty with the cops who rocked up to shut down her party.  It was hilarious.  I was happy to pack up at that stage.

Have you played a house party that might have got a bit out of hand?

Luke

Yeah, a few...

Used to gig at a guy's bar-b-q party that was a front for big-$$$ pit fights (sometimes animal vs. animal, sometimes man vs. man, sometimes man vs. animal) out in his barn...very, very messy. No idea, initially,  about what was going on (the stage area was about 100 yards from the barn) until the last booking, never accepted another.

Pity, because they paid well...

• Members

For about 10 years we were the regular band at a yacht club. One day a German person approached us about playing a party for his birthday at a house he was renting while in town. We negotiated the price and accepted.

He flew a few people in from Germany to celebrate with him. The party had a total of 10 people there, we set up in the kitchen of the rented house and they were invisible to us in the living room. Every now and then someone would come into the kitchen to raid the refrigerator and tell us how much they were enjoying the music.

We played our normal 4 hours without a break and we were about to get done with the guy who hired us put a couple of $100 dollar bills on the keyboard and asked us if we could play another hour. Being greedier than we are sane, we accepted and continued to play.

Near the end of our fifth hour a few more $100 bills were placed on the keyboard and we did another hour.

At the end of the 6th hour we were actually hoping he wouldn't put any more money on the keyboard as we were flagging. Fortunately (or unfortunately) he came in, told us how much they all loved our music, and asked us if he could help us get our gear back in the van. 

We found out he was an executive in a big German hotel chain, and was scouting the area to build a hotel. The hotel never happened here, but we went away with money in our pockets, tired, and knowing that we could play 6 hours without a break if we had to. 

Since then, we've never done more than 4 without a break.

Bob

Archived